AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has just released new Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8 drivers. According to the release notes, the Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8 includes the following updates:

Please note that AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta8 includes all of the fixes found in previous versions of AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta

• Includes single GPU performance updates for Far Cry 3
  • Improves CrossFire scaling for Planetside 2 (CrossFire scaling is still limited to ~30% at 2560x1600)
  • Improves performance up to 5% in Max Payne 3
  • Resolves the Skyrim lighting issue (missing a lighting pass) for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
  • Resolves the hang encountered playing Dishonored on the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
  • AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8 for Linux includes significant performance improvements for Left for Dead 2

New CAP can be found here (direct link)

hmmm, far cry 3 performance update? are people playing this in beta right now?

what's this .net4 support? Is it better than the non .net version?

They post that because you need .net 4 to run their latest drivers. If you've already got .net 4 installed you may skip that version. Actually, it's more for the CCC and I'd make sure I had .net 4 before installing them.

I find it weird, that they have Far Cry 3 updates, for a game that isn't out yet?

they are fixing everything except the problems I have -- 7970 reference, win8 64 (legit), and anything above 12.8 crashed battlefield 3, I get massive corruption in 2D mode on teh deskop if i overclock by 1Mhz over stock.

currently running at 1170 core 100% rock stable on the 12.8's, so I know it's not hardware. AMD is making good effort but still not blowing my skirt up quality wise.

Hmm I installed them without the CAP. Lighting looks different in Skyrim than with the Beta 3 version. I'm off 1 FPS with these. Or I seem to have lost 1 FPS in Skyrim. I use the straight ultra preset. I believe the lighting does look better though. I'll have to play some more before I decide.

I'm on Win 7 x64 here.

there was a lighting render pass missing from skyrim in the prior betas, beta7 and after supposedly fix this.

they are fixing everything except the problems I have -- 7970 reference, win8 64 (legit), and anything above 12.8 crashed battlefield 3, I get massive corruption in 2D mode on teh deskop if i overclock by 1Mhz over stock.

currently running at 1170 core 100% rock stable on the 12.8's, so I know it's not hardware. AMD is making good effort but still not blowing my skirt up quality wise.

given that everything has to pass WHQL cert after 12.8.. eg 12.9 12.10, 12.11 its probably a mix of things and not just the drivers screwing up otherwise microsoft would of never certified them to work on windows 8.

• Improves CrossFire scaling for Planetside 2
  • Improves performance up to 5% in Max Payne 3
  • Includes single GPU performance updates for Far Cry 3
  • Resolves the Skyrim lighting issue (missing a lighting pass) for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series [secondary problem from b7 fix]
  • Resolves the hang encountered playing Dishonored on the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
  • AMD Catalyst 12.11 CAP1 (should be used in conjunction with AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta8)
  • Max Payne 3 (DX9): Resolves light reflection corruption in single GPU mode
  • Far Cry 3: Improves CrossFire performance
  • Hitman Absolution: Improves Anti-Aliasing performance for single GPU configurations
  • Sniper Elite 2 – Resolves the flickering encountered when pressing Alt + Enter in CrossFire configurations
  • Crysis 3: Improves CrossFire performance and fixes corruption
  • Devil May Cry 5: Improves CrossFire performance
  • WarFrame: Improves CrossFire performance
  • Carrier Command: Gaea Mission: Resolves single GPU corruption when enabling Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center
  • AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8 for Linux includes significant performance improvements for Left for Dead 2

I cannot comment on anything compute-related, as I don't actively follow those driver threads internally.
As for the issues people are encountering with the CAP, we found a bug that causes the 12.11CAP1 installer to fail on some systems. We're just going to bake those fixes into a new beta driver and get it posted for people (beta9). You'll be able to install it right over the top. Stay tuned.
There will be a fixed CAP, but it will come after the new beta.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1318756/amd-12-11-beta-drivers/720#post_18619279

my primary monitor will not turn back on after returning from sleep with this driver. the monitor must be power cycled in order to work correctly. i've been having this issue since 12.10. anyone else?

Well, my monitor wouldn't turn on at all after sleep - I had to hit reset. Ended up reverting to 12.9.

what's this .net4 support? Is it better than the non .net version?

You need it for CCC. But you can also download .net 4.5 and it will be backwards compatible just incase you need .net 4.5.

I have never been using CAPs do I need to?

Yes, driver level improvements for specific games. They don't show up as profiles in CCC though. Covers increased fps, antialiasing, crash fixes, and crossfire support. Also I think it's recommended to uninstall the old Application Profiles in add/remove programs before installing new ones.

12.1 caps are broken for the moment on certain configurations, The caps dont get used unless you override the internal driver profiles.

AMD is aware of the issue and i assume they will fix this in beta 9

12.11 BETA 8 installed.. 2d/3d clocks are still wacked but stability seems ok so far. Using profiles and hotkeys to switch between 2d/3d clocks. Hopefully AMD gets a hotfix sooner than later.

I am not sure if it's because of drivers or what but I am getting a lot of crashes with many games. I have this pc for month so I don't even know its default behaviour.

Games like DNF, Batman crash with some or other exception error after only ~ 5 mnutes of playing.

I am not sure if it's because of drivers or what but I am getting a lot of crashes with many games. I have this pc for month so I don't even know its default behaviour.

Games like DNF, Batman crash with some or other exception error after only ~ 5 mnutes of playing.

check with 12.10 whql drivers. if its still problematic then it might be a hardware issue. check with gigabyte and go for RMA.

I will check. What is a good way to instal older drivers?
The installer will take care of replacing new files?

If the problem still occurs I will drop all cpu oc and reinstall windows.
Only then i is safe to say I can go rma

What does the separate installer with .NET 4 support give you over the regular installer? I'm not sure what .NET 4 support entails?

ok, it was a bad cpu, overclock fixed. Had my 2500k set to 42x with offset -1. It was too low. canged to -0.75 and it's stable.

btw. are fans on 7870 gigabyte suppose to be EXTREMELY loud ? it's like 80% during gameplay. I can't measure it because once I alt tab to check the fan speeds, it spins down when not displaying graphics... well maybe no 80% but about 50-60ty. wasn't windforce 3 suppose to be quietest cooling for theses cards?
So other are even LOUDER ? :O

Last edited:
What does the separate installer with .NET 4 support give you over the regular installer? I'm not sure what .NET 4 support entails?

Pretty sure it just comes bundled with the .net installer

ok, it was a bad cpu, overclock fixed. Had my 2500k set to 42x with offset -1. It was too low. canged to -0.75 and it's stable.

btw. are fans on 7870 gigabyte suppose to be EXTREMELY loud ? it's like 80% during gameplay. I can't measure it because once I alt tab to check the fan speeds, it spins down when not displaying graphics... well maybe no 80% but about 50-60ty. wasn't windforce 3 suppose to be quietest cooling for theses cards?
So other are even LOUDER ? :O

Install afterburner and you can monitor all that stuff in real time.

These drivers crash like a mofo on my 6950s. Rolled back to 12.10 and no more crashes. I'd stay away from these for a while if stability means anything to you.

These drivers crash like a mofo on my 6950s. Rolled back to 12.10 and no more crashes. I'd stay away from these for a while if stability means anything to you.

Those drivers are working fine for alot of people all over the net, including me with 4X 7970 Quad-Fire with 3X 30'' 7680X1600.

It's not because you're having problems that everyone on the planet will 100% sure have the problems you have. ;)

Maybe you're system is unstable. So you should stay away from it. :D

From launch drivers to Catalyst 12.10, I've never had a crashing issue with my overclock 1125/1575 @ 1.125V. I've started to experience consistent crashes in the Witcher 2 with these 12.11 Beta 8 drivers. So far, it seems stable at 1100/1550 @ 1.125V, but I'll have to do some more testing.

witcher2 always eventually crashed on me on all drivers.

Last edited:
Back