Samsung Refuses To Negotiate with Apple

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung's mobile chief says his company has no plans whatsoever to negotiate a settlement with Apple. Nice to see Samsung sticking to its guns. :cool:

Top smartphone maker Samsung Electronics Co. does not intend to hold talks with Apple Inc. to reach an agreement on their ongoing patent tussle, its mobile business chief said Wednesday, raising views the company will rely on legal means rather than settling the issue out of court. "It may be true that HTC may have agreed to pay 300 billion won (US$276 million) to Apple, but we don't intend to (negotiate) at all."

We of course he's going to say that, but I can't believe either side wants this to drag on for years and years because ultimately I don't see either side winning enough to make this battle worth it.

We of course he's going to say that, but I can't believe either side wants this to drag on for years and years because ultimately I don't see either side winning enough to make this battle worth it.

As long as that fight makes Samsung look like a David fighting a goliath, then it can only work in their favor. My guess this is what they are after.

As long as that fight makes Samsung look like a David fighting a goliath, then it can only work in their favor. My guess this is what they are after.

Hard to call Samsung a David in this I think. I just think the longer this goes on it's just going to go down to a stalemate and that means no one wins.

Hard to call Samsung a David in this I think. I just think the longer this goes on it's just going to go down to a stalemate and that means no one wins.

I think because some of the recent judgments have been favoring Samsung might have something to do with their "no deal, no way" response.

Samsung is an international conglomerate; they're hardly a David in any situation.

ehh.

Samsung = Revenue US$ 247.5 billion (2011)
Apple Inc = Revenue US$ 156.508 billion (2012)

I dont know if I would call Samsung David either. But I do agree that its a waste. Spending money in litigation spinning wheels. I guess every once in a while you can win some and net yourself 100+ Billion, so why not.

Just proves that our patent system needs a complete overhaul. A company shouldn't be able to patent a shape. :rolleyes:

In anycase, both companies keep on truckin, and Samsung charges Apple more for parts they use in the iphone. Way to bite the hand that feeds you Apple.
http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Samsung+Now+Charging+Apple+20+More+for+iPhone+Processors/article29166.htm

While it would be better to see companies cooperating on their issues, I am guessing Samsung's response is largely in part to the aggressive and un-cooperative nature of Apple. So I agree, good for Samsung, for sticking to their guns.

If the Koreans do business anything like their counterparts in Japan, Samsung will treat this like a challenge to it's manhood. And Apple will learn how painful taking on a cartel/conglomerate can be even if they win in the end.

If the Koreans do business anything like their counterparts in Japan, Samsung will treat this like a challenge to it's manhood. And Apple will learn how painful taking on a cartel/conglomerate can be even if they win in the end.

This. Have fun Apple, I hope you lose more money :)

In court - there is only 1 winner. The lawyers on either side.

Why should Samsung negotiate - they've done nothing wrong. Awarding Apple all those bogus patents and handing them a court victory with a biased foreman and judge was clearly a mockery of justice.

Why should Samsung negotiate - they've done nothing wrong. Awarding Apple all those bogus patents and handing them a court victory with a biased foreman and judge was clearly a mockery of justice.

I totally agree 100%!

Good to see a company with enough money to put a patent troll in its place. I'm glad Samsung is fighting this. Someone has to take a stand or the bullshit will continue and cost companies even more in the future. Hopefully this brings reforms to the patent system also.

I have a Galaxy S3 and really do not see myself ever owning an iPhone as long as they continue to be uncustomizable (widgets, keyboards, etc).

But I do find it sad that as Americans, we are essentially rooting for a South Korean company to pretty much stick it to one of the most solid American companies we have left.

If Apple made all their devices here in the US, I would probably be more pro-Apple than I currently am.

If Apple made all their devices here in the US, I would probably be more pro-Apple than I currently am.
If Chinese labor can't even keep up with the current iPhone 5 demand, us Americans would have no chance unless assembly was completely automated.

I am guessing Samsung's response is largely in part to the aggressive and un-cooperative nature of Apple.

Apple negotiated and settled with HTC, Nokia, and Microsoft. I don't think they're that un-cooperative here.

Samsung is one of the biggest if not the biggest company on earth. They make everything from Heavy machinery, weapons, volatile chemicals, electronics, construction, transport, Supermarkets, Farms, etc....

If Apple wants a war with Samsung they will loose. Samsung got caught having a 500million slush fund for Bribes! So yeah samsung can waste a lot of money on lawyers.

Samsung is one of the biggest if not the biggest company on earth. They make everything from Heavy machinery, weapons, volatile chemicals, electronics, construction, transport, Supermarkets, Farms, etc....

If Apple wants a war with Samsung they will loose. Samsung got caught having a 500million slush fund for Bribes! So yeah samsung can waste a lot of money on lawyers.

Well, uh, they don't "make" supermarkets or farms. You're saying it as if those are one of the products they're selling LOL. They operate them or at least do so through a franchisee/subsidiary.

Well, uh, they don't "make" supermarkets or farms. You're saying it as if those are one of the products they're selling LOL. They operate them or at least do so through a franchisee/subsidiary.

Yes I made a mistake in my wording. Before the Asia economic collapse Samsung was a single entity. The bailout had a stipulation to break down the supersized companies.

Didn't Samsung already lose in court a ruling to pay Apple $1Billion USD not so long ago? Or was that overturned because of how retarded it was?

Didn't Samsung already lose in court a ruling to pay Apple $1Billion USD not so long ago? Or was that overturned because of how retarded it was?

Samsung and Apple are fighting multiple battles, this particular one may go all the US Supreme Court.

Apple wants to negotiate because after losing in court, Samsung raised their invoice 20% for all their components used in the Iphone et al.

If Samsung wins and doesn't have to pay $1 bil to Apple, then that sounds worth it to me.

I have a Galaxy S3 and really do not see myself ever owning an iPhone as long as they continue to be uncustomizable (widgets, keyboards, etc).

But I do find it sad that as Americans, we are essentially rooting for a South Korean company to pretty much stick it to one of the most solid American companies we have left.

American? South Korean? I really don't give a shit where the company is at. A company making shitty moves is not one I support. Even if their products were 100% American made and assembled, it still doesn't make the shitty move any better.

A single loss isn't a loss yet. There's appeals. Then more appeals. Then more appeals. Then eventually after 5+ years, we'll figure out who actually won.

Samsung shouldn't let Apple drag them down, I hope Samsung fights back with what they got, Apple is sure being a whiny little bitch these days.

Props to Samsung. The Apple craze is finally dying down somewhat (see this, their stock price, etc.), and they don't seem to be innovating anything. Just kicking the can down the road. Keep them at bay for long enough and Apple will flounder.

The rest of the world runs on bribes. Its cultural.

In the US politicians passed a law making it illegal for US companies to bribe even in other countries putting it at a disadvantage in business dealings. I wonder how many US politicians were bribed to enact that law.

Back