Salt Lake City Gets One of the World's Fastest Networks

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Beginning this weekend, Salt Lake City will have one of the fastest networks in the world. The network will deliver a sustained 800Gbps, but a word of warning: don’t get too used to the speed, it will only be there for a week. When SC2012 Super Computing conference attendees pack up and go their separate ways, so goes the super network.

To set up the super network, SCinet teamed with the Utah Education Network and the University of Utah to acquire access to miles of fiber optic cable in the Salt Lake metro area and into the Salt Palace.

I can admit it. I'm jealous. Very jealous!

Still, I can guarantee someone will get pissed and say "Damn lag". :D

hmmm so the hardware is already there. Just needs companies to work together to realize that kind of speed. interesting.

I'm well aware that colleges have insanely fast internet speeds... I was a student once :D

Still... I'm like an hour away from Salt Lake City and would like to attend the conference, but I'm way too busy this week (in-town move; still a huge hassle)... plus I can't exactly get a day off of work :p

Eh, it looks like I can't modify my post, so:

How much of this bandwidth is internal, and how much of it will reach the outside world? I also would like to see the kind of hardware that can access 8 100gbps circuits.

Beginning this weekend, Salt Lake City will have one of the fastest networks in the world. The network will deliver a sustained 800Gbps, but a word of warning: don’t get too used to the speed, it will only be there for a week. When SC2012 Super Computing conference attendees pack up and go their separate ways, so goes the super network.

why do they need internet that fast? Its not like they have a huge user base d/l PRON or using bit-torrents.

Back