AOC i2757Fh - 27" 1080p IPS @ 100hz!

livefastdieyoung

Limp Gawd
http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/i2757fh

i couldn't believe it either.

i created a custom resolution at 75hz, and the monitor took it with no problems. then i started increasing the refresh rate in 5hz increments, expecting it to bomb at 80hz like the acer s275hl bmii, but it took 80. then 85. then 90. it finally gave a signal error at 105hz.

so 100hz it is. liquid smooth, no frame dropping. but, some artifacts are visible if i look closely. things like flickering pixels, some pixel colors being slightly off, etc. not huge swatches of them all over the screen, just some here some there. maybe these won't be that noticeable when playing a game. i'll do proper testing later today.

overdrive must be disabled for there to not be massive screen corruption above 75hz. which isn't too much of a loss because unlike the i2757fm that tft central reviewed, the fh has rtc overshoot even on the 'weak' overdrive setting. the fh seems to have a different firmware than the fm. my fh says 'v007' in the factory osd whereas tft central's fm says 'v006'. the factory osd itself also looks different, the fh has a black background and different adjustable parameters.

the ag coating on this monitor is light. it's probably as light as they could make it and still have it be antiglare.

i'll post more updates later.

Last edited:
Nice, I bought the AOC i2757Fm. It would be interesting to see what the differences are between the 2 models. I always thought they were the same.

out of the box measurements (gamma set to 'gamma 1', the other gamma settings only wreck things):

gamma 2.2, contrast 850:1
white points: warm=7200k, normal=8300k, cool=9800k, srgb=7300k (brightness and contrast are locked in srgb mode)

max brightness 265 cd/m2, min brightness 104 cd/m2

i would say that overdrive on the fh is effectively broken, as even on the lowest setting ('weak'), there is noticeable overshoot and very noticeable banding artifacts even when windows fades dialog boxes in and out.

after calibration to 6500k, contrast is down to 780:1

the maximum vertical refresh i was able to get this monitor to accept was 101hz. motion is silky smooth, so the electronics are actually driving the panel at the input refresh rate, as opposed to driving it at 60hz and dropping frames.

however, above 75hz, a faint horizontal scan line effect (like on crt's) starts to appear if you look at the screen closely. the effect becomes gradually more noticeable as the refresh rate increases. additionally, above 85hz, random pixel artifacts start to appear, increasing in quantity with the refresh rate.

still, the fact that the electronics will accept and drive the panel at these higher refresh rates may mean the artifacts are a panel/electronics lottery issue. some units might be better, some might be worse. i guess some people might like having the option of sacrificing image quality slightly for improved motion performance.

Last edited:
examples of artifacts at 100hz:

uTiC1.jpg

blue pixel artifacts in windows taskbar (taskbar is at the top of the screen)

qjTFx.jpg

blue artifacts in gradient

if you look at these pics from far enough away, you can see that every other horizontal line is a bit lighter - that's the horizontal scan line effect. just think of it as crt emulation.

i played a bit of medal of honor warfighter at 100hz and i couldn't spot any pixel artifacts, but i could see the horizontal scan line effect if i went looking for it. i.e., it's not bad enough to detract from the gaming experience, but if you notice it, it's probably because you went looking for it and thus were not immersed enough in the game to begin with.

the motion fluidity at 100hz is stunning.

for desktop use, or playing slower games (like rts), it's probably better to run at 75hz. it's still noticeably more fluid than 60hz, but with no artifacts or scan line effect.

best buy is selling this for $300 (it was $270 a few weeks ago). i gotta say, it's very good bang for the buck.

the monitor only has vga and hdmi inputs. i've tried a couple of hdmi cables, as well as a dvi to hdmi cable - same results.

played a bit more warfighter - the blue artifacts are sometimes visible in smoke detail.

The sad fact these do not come Vesa mountable fricken blows my mind!

Is there a mounting kit you can put on one of these? I want one, but not without being able to mount the sucker.

Any suggestions?

hey i just got the monitor i would like to ask you guys how you managed to increase the hz above 60.I tried to increase it through the settings, the only option at 1080p was 60hz.I just got into pc gaming so forgive my knowledge about this stuff hehe.

Last edited:
curios about the AG coating..
Do you think you could sit by a window in direct sun light coming in and still see anything?

Nice find, livefastdieyoung!

I'd be curious to know if their smaller model (i2367Fh) can also handle this.

@mustapha

you need to use your video driver control panel utility to create a custom resolution with the increased refresh rates.

@megalomaniac

it'll behave like any other ag coating in that situation, the sunlight will diffuse over the screen. whereas if it were glossy, the reflections would be sharp.

@kap

no idea. i suppose it's possible.

I've got the same display, it maxes out at 80 Hz :( Anyway, at 75 Hz there's no artifacts that I can see. However, are you sure its not dropping frames?

Edit: nevermind, I turned off overdrive and i maxed at 100 Hz though the screen has slight artifacts. Dialed it down to 95 Hz and there's no artifacts. Still not sure if its skipping frames or not, how do i test for this?

Last edited:
Edit: nevermind, I turned off overdrive and i maxed at 100 Hz though the screen has slight artifacts. Dialed it down to 95 Hz and there's no artifacts. Still not sure if its skipping frames or not, how do i test for this?
You'll notice it right away. Its obvious. Even in desktop. If you can tell the difference between 75hz, 60hz and 95hz certainly are able to notice frame-skipping.

Nice find, livefastdieyoung!

I'd be curious to know if their smaller model (i2367Fh) can also handle this.

I'm answering my own question here, but I thought I'd share this in case anyone else was interested. Apparently, the smaller and cheaper i2367Fh can also hit at least 75hz, according to this review of Nvidia's GTX Titan:

"I did, however, fool with the card's innovative display overclocking, which allows the GPU to override the monitor's refresh rate, allowing for higher frame rates with VSync enabled. Results differ for every monitor, but my 23-inch AOC i2367fh jumped up to 75Hz without a problem—things got janky higher than that. It was a small difference, but an incredibly noticeable now."

It's so shameful that this monitor doesn't have Vesa mounting. I was excited to see this monitor until I saw that it's not Vesa compatible. I would like to replace my 27" monitors to have a thin bezel setup. :(

I haven't really created any custom resolution to change the refresh rate of my monitors. Can this be done with 680GTX? I'll explore this option later when I get home hehe.

Also, just as OC'ing CPUs, will this shorten the lifespan of the monitor if not properly cooled?

http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/i2757fh

i couldn't believe it either.

i created a custom resolution at 75hz, and the monitor took it with no problems. then i started increasing the refresh rate in 5hz increments, expecting it to bomb at 80hz like the acer s275hl bmii, but it took 80. then 85. then 90. it finally gave a signal error at 105hz.

so 100hz it is. liquid smooth, no frame dropping. but, some artifacts are visible if i look closely. things like flickering pixels, some pixel colors being slightly off, etc. not huge swatches of them all over the screen, just some here some there. maybe these won't be that noticeable when playing a game. i'll do proper testing later today.

overdrive must be disabled for there to not be massive screen corruption above 75hz. which isn't too much of a loss because unlike the i2757fm that tft central reviewed, the fh has rtc overshoot even on the 'weak' overdrive setting. the fh seems to have a different firmware than the fm. my fh says 'v007' in the factory osd whereas tft central's fm says 'v006'. the factory osd itself also looks different, the fh has a black background and different adjustable parameters.

the ag coating on this monitor is light. it's probably as light as they could make it and still have it be antiglare.

i'll post more updates later.

Hello

I just bought a couple of i2757fm's and I'm not able to get the refresh rate above 71Hz. Everything higher and the screen goes black, showing only the text 'INPUT NOT SUPPORT'. When you created a custom resolution, what kind of Timing settings did you use? Front porch, sync width, total pixels etc.

- John

Maybe the Fm isn't as good for overclocking? Usually if you get an input not supported message there's nothing you can do about it.

Yea that might be so. I did manage 72Hz when messing about with the timing settings but nothing more than that. The weird part is that at 72Hz, the OSD menu shows the resolution to be 1680x1050 instead of 1920x1080 which its running. Nvidia control panel shows 1920x1080.

Could this be some issue with Dual-link HDMI cable/connector? I'm currently using DVI-HDMI connector and the hdmi-hdmi cable that came with the monitor. The DVI-HDMI connector is only 18 pins, not 24pins.

- John

There's an easy web-based frame skipping verification tool at TestUFO:
www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

For accurate "perfect-VSYNC" frame skipping checks up to 240Hz, use Chrome (with everything in chrome://gpu enabled). Internet Explorer 10 can do accurate frame skipping checks up to about 105Hz. FireFox 24+ pre-beta does great frame skipping checks at 60Hz, but starts to degrade as you go higher. Quit all applications, disable tools that accesses disk, and give 100% CPU to the webbrowser. Check your webbrowser's VSYNC support. Modern web browsers have VSYNC under Windows and Mac, but unfortunately not on Linux or Android systems (yet). Also web browsers can have problems with multi monitor setups -- if it stutters massively, switch to primary 1-monitor mode temporarily when viewing this web page, for the duration of frame skipping verification.

You do not need a high speed camera; it works with a standard photographic camera set to about a 1/4th to 1/10th second shutter speed. It's very easy to tell if a frame has been skipped, if you see gaps in the resulting photograph. Even an iPhone camera works too.

For anyone interested, I replaced my two i2757Fm's with Fh's and now I can run 100hz with no artifacts.
I might try some customs settings to see if I get it even higher.

- John

Don't think super high refresh rate matters that much if you are not going 3D... I think 60Hz is enough as games are considered "smooth" at 60FPS...

Yet I am a noob in the current display technology, someone please educate me :)

I think you would change your mind if you tried a 120hz screen. Its a lot smoother, its even noticeable in windows desktop :) I had 2x Asus VG278H 120hz screens before, and it was very apparent when i 'downgraded' to a 60hz ips screen. Now I get 100hz on ips, so I'm a happy camper again :)
I switched from VG278H because of the mediocre image quality, especially with lightboost enabled.

Well it didn't work for me! Just bought this screen after reading this thread. Disabled overdrive, tried two HDMI-cables. Installed the drivers from the website. Any suggestions? Creating the custom resolution works fine, but when I apply it the monitor says it not supported.

Even when I get picture at 1080p @ 80hz a little box is flying around telling me input is not supported... Managed to reach 76hz. Help plz! :(

Well it didn't work for me! Just bought this screen after reading this thread. Disabled overdrive, tried two HDMI-cables. Installed the drivers from the website. Any suggestions? Creating the custom resolution works fine, but when I apply it the monitor says it not supported.

Even when I get picture at 1080p @ 80hz a little box is flying around telling me input is not supported... Managed to reach 76hz. Help plz! :(

Are you able to check the version number of your display through the hidden factory OSD menu(hold down the 2 middle arrows while powering on), it might help for us to know. My I2757FH is a V010 model and it achieves up to 101Hz at 1080P with very minor artifacts.

That doesn't do anything with my display. I suppose you mean the right arrow and left arrow and not the auto ajust button which looks like two arrows. Anyhow, none of these buttons do anything when held simultaneously to booting. :(

yes the right and left button plus power, also i forgot to add that you need to activate the osd and press the F in the upper left corner to access the factory osd menu.

Just found it! Mine is also the V010. Must be something with my hardware rather than the monitor itself. Good to know for future buyers I guess.

I'm attaching a picture of my factory osd settings just in case anyone sees anything. I have overdrive set to Medium now but it wont work on any level. http://imgur.com/O4AKtke

Last edited:
BB has this monitor on sale right now for $270. i picked one up yesterday. for those of you that have successfully overclocked, are you using ToastyX's CRU? does me having an AMD gpu throw a wrench in the works? i'm a monitor overclocking noob, help a guy out.

overclocked to 72hz using Toastyx's CRU while being lazy and selecting 'Automatic - LCD standard' timing. i'm shocked that little bit of overclock made such an impact on fluidity. coming from a 32" HDTV to this IPS which out of the box has fast pixel response, and overclocking a little bit to 72hz on top of that, is like night and day.

Last edited:
If you want to create custom resolutions in Win7/64 use custom resolution utility 1.1 by ToastyX. Then restart your computer, and your new resolutions will be available.
My i2757Fh is holding steady at 1080p @100hz.

:eek:

If you want to create custom resolutions in Win7/64 use custom resolution utility 1.1 by ToastyX. Then restart your computer, and your new resolutions will be available.
My i2757Fh is holding steady at 1080p @100hz.

:eek:

did you use custom timings?

My I2757FH is a V010 model and it achieves up to 77Hz at 1080P without artifacts.
I use nvidia to O/C and standards timings

I tried tft central settings and icc profiles, but i found it too much lighting for web browsing (white pages) even @ 0% luminance.
The gamma settings are weird (very dark)

My I2757FH is a V010 model and it achieves up to 77Hz at 1080P without artifacts.
I use nvidia to O/C and standards timings

I tried tft central settings and icc profiles, but i found it too much lighting for web browsing (white pages) even @ 0% luminance.
The gamma settings are weird (very dark)

i noticed that too. i couldn't find a good gamma setting (to my eyes) when using any of the ICC profiles i tried: tftcentral's, tftcentral user's, AOC's (from disc), or the standard windows IE one. they all looked dark to me.

Hi

So i'm on the lookout for a new monitor, and i'm having a hard time finding one. I ended up with this AOC as a choice, because of it's good response time as seen in the reviews.

So is it only the FH that overclocks, or does the FM can also be OCed?

Also, about the flicker, is it that much noticeable?

Hello

As I posted a while back, I got my 2757fh monitors running at 100hz. I eventually tuned them down to 85-90hz because I think I could see a slight image degradation at 100hz.

However, I just bought a AMD 7990 GPU last week (had Nvidia gtx 580 before) and now I got the exact same problem as you do. I get 80hz max and only with this 'NOT SUPPORT' osd box flying around. I used automatic settings in Nvidia control panel before to set up the resolution, but now I had to use a 3rd party software (CRU 1.1). I suppose nvidia's automatic settings are different from the standard/reduced lcd settings that CRU use? (Front porch, sync width, total pixels etc.) That's the only think I can think of, I cant imagine this is a limitation with the AMD gpu card.
Worst case I can plug my gtx 580 back in and note down the settings, and try them with the amd 7990.
I will try to figure this out later today, I'm at work atm :p

- John

Hello

Finally got around to fixing this issue. I did as stated above, plugged in my gtx 580 and found the correct settings with the inbuilt nvidia custom resolution feature. Only took a few minutes to find the settings since you can test them on the fly. With CRU 1.1 on my amd 7990, you have to reboot each time, so it would have taken hours upon hours to get it right.

Running 90hz atm :D

- John

Back