Apple Shares Turned 'Ice Cold'

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Apple is getting its ass kicked by Wall Street lately. Obviously $537 isn't bad but it is a ways off the $700 high back in September.

The company's shares, already down approximately 20 percent from their September highs, continued their swoon today by dropping more than 3.6 percent -- and this despite an endorsement earlier in the day from Oppenheimer & Co. analyst Ittai Kidron, who said that the recent sell-off in Apple's stock had been "overdone and should correct." In a research note, he put $620 as "an intermediate target as investors review the good fundamentals in light of the sharp pull-back."

They need to put out more "magical" and "revolutionary" products.

when their 1 billion win against samsung will be turned over on appeal brace for the bubble to pop... still a year away ...

apple would never fall they said, they also said i'd save $20 switching to geico

I'm waiting to see the fall occur. People have less disposable income, so when they pay a premium, it has to either : last that much longer, or work that much better. So far, Apple products don't do that. They are exceptional products, but not $500 for a phone exceptional. My $100 Android phone has the capabilities without as much speed or battery life..but are those worth $400?

That's Apple's biggest issue, consumers finding that premium is not worth it. The lawsuit was a round-about and lame way to try to vampire off some of Samsung's success for selling a product that made consumers realize that the iDevices were not the only game in the high end gadget market.

Android is winning. They are up to 75% market share. https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23771812

Yes! The cyberpunk-like Droid needs to start pounding this Apple anti-cyberpunk crap into the ground!

The future I envisioned should have been like this:
Cyber_punk_Room_by_naueru.jpg

Not this:
i-love-apple-house.jpg

This is about right. I had thought Apple has about one year momentum after Steve Jobs passed away. Now that it's been a year and with numerous negative presses the stock is coming down. Now we get to see if Tim Cook has what it takes to bring Apple forward. Firing one of Job's lieutenants though was probably not a good idea.

Their era of touch-dominance is pretty much over. Between Android and Microsoft there is nothing "innovative" about the way apple presents their devices.

I got my Ipod a couple of years ago because no one had something that size that had a touchscreen or interface that good.

Now? Hell, the tech and interface quality is everywhere.

I keep telling people, sell, sell now, SELL FUCKING NOW

Why? Samsung is no longer making -ANY- parts for Apple come 2013, a scant one fucking month from now. No memory chips, no computer chips, no screens.

Samsung is the only company in the world that can output this stuff at that level of quality, and for that cheap. The price per iphone for apple to make is looking to near DOUBLE as they hunt for a new supplier that can only produce 1/8th the parts Samsung can.

All this cause of shit like "The screen size is too similar!" and other shit cause Apple thought it could patent troll ITS OWN FUCKING SUPPLIERS!!!

Again, sell, sell now, sell fucking now.

I highly doubt apple is hunting for a new supplier, these contracts for parts are made for years just so there is no emergency search. They have probably known for a very long time that they will need new parts and have already secured the suppliers.

That said you are getting at a point, that is as of right now samsung is one of the big dogs in primary components, they are a market leader in OLED, they make solid CPUs and are also a market leader in NAND. So from this point on out, if samsung makes the best OLED in the world you can bet Apple wont have access.

That being said apple has enough volume to promise a company if they build a new part of fab they can keep it running. And since many of the other Asian players like LG have a pathetic phone presence apple will keep sourcing from them.

In fact this could be huge for China, because alot of Chinese suppliers will soon be looking to develop production lines for world class components and buyers like Apple will be ready to purchase and invest.

Like all companies that reach ridiculous valuations there's just no way to sustain these kinds of things. At some point the iDevice will saturate and growth will slow and there's indications of that now. Apple does have a TV in the pipeline but that's a market that I doubt it can dominate though I could see lots of iDevice integration that could make it very attractive to iDevice owners.

Apple is fine, they'll make zillions of dollars for many, many years to come, their growth is just going to slow.

I highly doubt apple is hunting for a new supplier, these contracts for parts are made for years just so there is no emergency search. They have probably known for a very long time that they will need new parts and have already secured the suppliers.

That said you are getting at a point, that is as of right now samsung is one of the big dogs in primary components, they are a market leader in OLED, they make solid CPUs and are also a market leader in NAND. So from this point on out, if samsung makes the best OLED in the world you can bet Apple wont have access.

That being said apple has enough volume to promise a company if they build a new part of fab they can keep it running. And since many of the other Asian players like LG have a pathetic phone presence apple will keep sourcing from them.

In fact this could be huge for China, because alot of Chinese suppliers will soon be looking to develop production lines for world class components and buyers like Apple will be ready to purchase and invest.

Apple's contracts have already run out, and Samsung is stopping all production for them for all parts in 2013. Samsung waited for over a year before stopping supply cause they didn't want to look bad in light of the trials, even though legally since they were being sued they could have stopped all business with Apple immediately.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2012/10/133_122835.html

Not really sure why Apple is being singled out here - the entire market has been down the past couple days, and GOOG and MSFT are both down from 1 month ago as well.

Apple's contracts have already run out, and Samsung is stopping all production for them for all parts in 2013. Samsung waited for over a year before stopping supply cause they didn't want to look bad in light of the trials, even though legally since they were being sued they could have stopped all business with Apple immediately.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2012/10/133_122835.html

I dont get what your point is..... Like I said, and the article even clearly says, there wont be any doubling of price for Apple, they knew it was coming and have already secured new suppliers. In fact the article even suggest they will get lower prices from other suppliers.

It was already being sold off at 700. Miss Q4 earnings, sell off continues. Obama reelected, sell off continues. Eurozone shakes market, sell off continues. Spiraling downward for awhile now, just wouldn't touch it until it can regain its averages.

The Apple train is finally starting to slow down. If you go read reactions/reviews of their latest products to hit the market, you'll see a lot of stuff about how "meh" they are. A lot of it is coming from the same people in the press that would eat up every single thing Apple put out in the past few years. Now, I give Apple credit, they generally do make a very high quality product, but they haven't come out with anything "innovative" or "new" in quite some time now. iOS is stale right now. Sure, they can tack on some super hi-res screens, increase the speed, improve battery-life a tad, but at the end of the day, iOS is still essentially the same iOS that came out years and years ago. That makes using an original iPad nearly an identical experience to using a brand new one (for the average person).

I'd go as far as to say their most recent stuff has been more reactionary than visionary. All of the new features on the iPhone 5 are in direct response to what high-end Android devices have had for a while. The iPad mini is 100% a response to Amazon eating up a ton of the market share with the Kindle Fire.

Not really sure why Apple is being singled out here - the entire market has been down the past couple days, and GOOG and MSFT are both down from 1 month ago as well.
Most people here don't know how securities markets work nor invested a single cent in them.

Apple is dieing. The last of Jobs inventions have been used up already to the last straw. Something new has to come out thats unique and different. Without Jobs they are sinking slowly.

crApple is a poor desktop maker that had another part get "fashionable" and dragged it up from being a crappy desktop producer. Then they killed off their junky desktops and concentrated and the fashionable stuff. But the fad is waning....:D

Apple is dieing. The last of Jobs inventions have been used up already to the last straw. Something new has to come out thats unique and different. Without Jobs they are sinking slowly.

He was part of the marketing department. Things like the ipod were made by other companies, not inhouse designed in the glue stuff in department. They have never been unique and different. :D

I dont get what your point is..... Like I said, and the article even clearly says, there wont be any doubling of price for Apple, they knew it was coming and have already secured new suppliers. In fact the article even suggest they will get lower prices from other suppliers.

Not saying they haven't secured other suppliers, but TSMC, which is probably their next CPU supplier is constantly having fab and yield issues. And they haven't yet transition to 28 nm process, due to these issues. Also, the other company that can provide flash memory with the same quality as Samsung is Toshiba and they definitely can't provide as much as Samsung at the same price, so there are going to be price increases for Apple. Screens will be provided by Sharp, who also does not have the output of Samsung.

In the end, manufacturing price for Apple will increase, but I doubt it would double. But just a slight increase will be enough to cut on Apple's margins. Add this to their loss of momentum on iPad sales (for the first time in sales announcements they have blurred the numbers for iPad2, iPad3, iPad4 and iPad Mini) and their stock prices will probably continue to take a hit in the near future.

Apple needs to find more suckers, er companies to sue... That will surely jump the stock prices up, no? :confused:

Jobs was brilliant, there is no denying that. He was also in the right place at the right time to usher in the iphone and ipad and thus, Apple was able to reap the first wave of profit from that tech. Unfortunately for Apple (but fortunately for us consumers), that technology has become a cheap(er) commodity. I know for certain that there are hardcore Apple fans that will always pay a premium, but the days of Apple being the only game in town are now over. If I owned Apple stock I would be breaking my finger pressing the sell button.

Apple isn't going anywhere. As much as some of us may not like their endless law suits and the culture that Apple is associated with, their phones and products are more like a fashion statement for many people. It's not so much about functionality as "hey man, everyone has an iPhone. If you don't have one, you're not with it".

That said, Apple will be downsized because they cannot keep growing forever. I blame this on the lack of new products and the death of Jobs. Note, I don't mean that Jobs is actually some sort of creative innovator, but rather, he puts a human face that people understand and can relate to. Tim Cook doesn't have any of those qualities; he's as invisible as CEOs get.

If Apple wants to keep its current size and keep its growth, it has to come out with something truly revolutionary. The leap has to be as big as what they had pushed for during the iPhone 3 era and the first iPad.

I just hope this means mobile devices aren't cool anymore and I can get one without these inflated costs and fees.

It's going to happen. Apple is an over-hyped "super-product." The more all of there false claims become blatantly obvious (such as virus-immunity), hopefully the less people will buy their products. But people are gullible . . . so we'll just have to see.

apple would never fall they said, they also said i'd save $20 switching to geico

Let me know who those idiots were so I know to avoid them. With Steve Jobs gone, whatever his faults, there is no guiding light to guard against fail, and there is plenty of fail in a company.

Let me know who those idiots were so I know to avoid them. With Steve Jobs gone, whatever his faults, there is no guiding light to guard against fail, and there is plenty of fail in a company.

there wasn't any guiding light, it was more along the lines of interrupting chicken entrails and voodooism

I keep telling people, sell, sell now, SELL FUCKING NOW

Why? Samsung is no longer making -ANY- parts for Apple come 2013, a scant one fucking month from now. No memory chips, no computer chips, no screens.

Samsung is the only company in the world that can output this stuff at that level of quality, and for that cheap. The price per iphone for apple to make is looking to near DOUBLE as they hunt for a new supplier that can only produce 1/8th the parts Samsung can.

It's the exact opposite of this. Apple isn't having a hard time finding new suppliers for their stuff at all. They just handed Sharp $2bln+ to keep a whole factory online to make displays for them and they bought exclusive access to an unknown number of TSMC facilities recently. They've also had massive build outs with Foxconn in Brazil. You're more likely to see Samsung trying to find new clients over the next few months as their contracts with Apple dry up and they have all this extra capacity on their hands.

Back