Benchmarking NVIDIA's R310 Linux Driver Improvements

HardOCP News

[H] News
The fellas at Phoronix have put NVIDIA's R310 Linux driver to the test. All you alternative OS types out there running a NVIDIA based graphics card should give this article a look.

This week NVIDIA began advertising their new "R310" Linux graphics driver that "delivers [a] massive performance boost to Linux gaming" as a result of Valve releasing their Steam Linux Beta. The NVIDIA 310.xx Linux graphics driver not only improves the performance for Valve's Source Engine games, but many Linux OpenGL games. In this article are benchmarks from three graphics cards to highlight the optimizations.

This is in response to Steam Beta. Though have to admit, that's a huge performance increase for a simple driver upgrade. Makes me sad that I own AMD graphic cards. With Windows 8 getting shittier, migrating to Linux is futile.

What that article really made me think is "damn linux needs more games". I bet almost no one has even heard of any of those games apart from linux users.

Wow, I thought the 304 drivers were a huge improvement, go NVIDIA.

This is in response to Steam Beta. Though have to admit, that's a huge performance increase for a simple driver upgrade.

Really highlights just how shit they were before, lol

Makes me sad that I own AMD graphic cards. With Windows 8 getting shittier, migrating to Linux is futile.

AMD's Linux support is just fine in my experience - you have the luxury there of choosing between an open source driver thanks to AMD releasing card specs or AMD's closed source one which is faster and supports more stuff.

NVIDIA has always had better support on Linux.
I'm sorry to say, AMD's drivers are horrendous on just about every flavor of Linux I've tried.

If you go Linux, it's almost a necessity to go with NVIDIA or Intel on the graphics front, but that's just me.

In a recent conference Linus Torvalds told NVIDIA to f-u-c-k o-f-f, so maybe they decided to shape up. The video is still on Youtube, btw.

Re the OP, being referred to as "alternative OS types" sounds very gay.

In a recent conference Linus Torvalds told NVIDIA to f-u-c-k o-f-f, so maybe they decided to shape up. The video is still on Youtube, btw.

Re the OP, being referred to as "alternative OS types" sounds very gay.

Linus barely represents the modern Linux community and in my opinion, is an anachronism.
Believe me, he is not the Steve Jobs or Bill Gates of GNU/Linux, that's for sure.

From what I've personally seen, he has some serious mental issues going on.

ok let's not get into amateur psychiatry. He's the best hardware guy alive (think kernel) .

Back