Apple Ordered to Pay $368M in Patent Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
The courts have ordered Apple to pay $368 milllion to a patent troll...umm, I mean patent holding firm for patent infringement. You know, there is a "what goes around" joke in here somewhere. ;)

A federal jury in Texas on Tuesday ordered Apple to pay patent holding firm VirnetX $368 million in a patent lawsuit. VirnetX also has filed complaints with the U.S. International Trade Commission against Apple, alleging that its iPhone, iPad and Mac products violate the company’s patents. In addition, the company has cases pending against Cisco, Avaya and Siemens, with those cases set for trial in March 2013.

vBdqG.png

Not a fan of Apple by any means, but whenever you have a "patent holding company" that just shows how far our patent system has fallen, and in no way spurs innovation or gives inventors a leg up with getting their product to market.

We need to organise a "No one buy Apple or Samsung in February!" campaign.

Maybe a drop in profits led by consumer dissatisfaction might make them think about how they are flushing their reputations down the toilet.

Not a fan of Apple by any means, but whenever you have a "patent holding company" that just shows how far our patent system has fallen, and in no way spurs innovation or gives inventors a leg up with getting their product to market.

Agreed! The system is really broken and rediculous. How a court sides with this crap is beyond me because the laws in place for this type of stuff is just plain wrong.

True, but on the otherhand I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for someone who uses/abuses the current system as much as Apple.

As much as I like seeing Apple get some of their own medicine, I have no love for the patent trolls either.

I hope they both die.

And this on the heels of their loss vs. Google/Motorola earlier this week. :p

th

Love this thread.

Anxiously awaiting the one next month where they also successfully sue Google, Motorola, Nokia, etc. and the same people cheering here are up in arms screaming patent foul.

Love this thread.

Anxiously awaiting the one next month where they also successfully sue Google, Motorola, Nokia, etc. and the same people cheering here are up in arms screaming patent foul.

Actually my view will be almost the same, although not to the same level as Apple has gone to extremes in this area.

Remember this is the same company that sued MS for copying their "look and feel" when it was logical that the both look and feel the same since they both stole the idea from the same source (Xerox.)

Love this thread.

But we don't like Apple so why would you expect anything different?

I have to say haha to apple. But it does not make me feel good that it's going to patent troll. Money going from one group of asshat to another does not help

What the patent system was invented for: I invented the lightbulb, nobody else can use my design

What the patent system is used for today: MY ON BUTTON IS BLUE! NOBODY ELSE CAN USE A BLUE ON BUTTON!

What the patent system was invented for: I invented the lightbulb, nobody else can use my design

What the patent system is used for today: MY ON BUTTON IS BLUE! NOBODY ELSE CAN USE A BLUE ON BUTTON!

Pretty much this. Its not even about whether they actually win in the end. Apple knew the legal system is so slow that the product they are suing over will be old history by the time their patent case is overturned or thrown out.

That's my view. Patent Troll Sues Patent Troll. Satisfying.

I don't consider Apple a patent troll. They patent things that I believe shouldn't be a patent in the first place, but they actually DO something with the patent. It's not really the same thing.

"Apple is not patent trolls"

They claim to own the patent on the size of the ipod etc screen, something they -DON'T EVEN MAKE- and -ANOTHER COMPANY SUPPLIES-

Back