Xbox Surface: Microsoft's 7" Gaming Tablet?

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a rumor out there today that Microsoft is building a Xbox Surface 7" tablet. I'm not sure why, considering Xbox SmartGlass looks so cool and works on everything you already own (phone / tablets), who would need a dedicated device?

The Xbox Surface will likely include a custom ARM processor and high-bandwidth RAM designed specifically for gaming tasks. We're told these specifications could be altered to accommodate an unannounced Intel SoC and that the Xbox Surface is being developed independent of specific hardware architecture. Microsoft's Xbox Surface won't run a full version of Windows, rather this 7-inch tablet will run a custom Windows kernel. Messaging and other tablet functions may be supported, but the focus is on gaming.

Maybe it will connect directly to the console rather than using a laggy outbound connection to xbox live.

I don't get why these company push multiple screens ... IMHO when you play a video game you need to be concentrated on the main screen and not using 2 screens at once, especially a HDTV + 7' tablet. Or maybe i'am getting too old LOL!

Bad idea.

7 inch tablets aren't portable enough to be dedicated gaming devices. Touch screens are horrible for any serious gaming. Extra controller if an attachment or separate device is too cumbersome and bulky thus further reducing portability. Games will probably be expensive in comparison to current Android games and the like due to production values. I mean, the list could go on and on...I just think over all that it's a bad idea.

If they made a tablet with control pads or that works with an wireless controller I think that would be a good idea.

But this is going to be a fourth version of Windows. Isn't Windows Phone, Windows RT, and Windows 7 already enough fragmentation?

"everything you already own (phone / tablets)"

Apart from you know... the Nexus 7, which until last week was the only Google tablet that mattered to most people (especially to Google...).

Back