Microsoft Killing Off Windows Live Messenger?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, Microsoft is supposedly retiring Windows Live Messenger in favor of Skype.

The Verge has learned through several sources that Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger service will be retired in the coming months and integrated into Skype. Microsoft has slowly been moving people over to the Messenger backend for Skype over the past few months, with around 80 percent of all IMs sent on Skype being handled by Messenger.

Windows Live Messenger is an abortion of advertisements and bloatware. Skype is meh for video, but sucks for simplicity. I will stick with Google Chat thank you...

Ugh.

I remember how much I hated the fact that it would install itself with XP and for a while, there was no way to uninstall it or prevent it from launching.

They fixed that over time as I recall.

Yay it is going away, Skype sucks too but not near as bad as messenger.

Ding dong the witch is dead :D

Been using msn messenger for years. If they kill it i will just focus on my other accounts with yahoo and xfire.

They killed MSN Messenger a long time ago.

This I tend to agree with. Still using messenger but I'm slowly losing the layout that I preferred. it doesn't appear with the latest version that you can even get a number of people online for a group. It's much easier to look at a group and see if there are 0/10 online than having to keep opening it to see if anyone is actually on.

fully agree...

irc clients generally have little-to-no bloat. the messaging itself is generally efficient (as long as your not dealing with obnoxious text formatting (colors, underline, bold,etc)

But thats all probably seen as pointless now that people don't use 16k modems! :D

It is kind of weird, everyone used to use chatrooms and messengers, but then they got replaced by slower more permanent forms of communication like Facebook...

I used ICQ when I lived in Europe in the late 90s. When I moved back to the U.S. and started college in the fall of '99, EVERYONE there was exclusively using AIM, so I switched.

After graduating in 2003, I gradually stopped using AIM, and now I rarely ever use any kind of text chat at all. Occasionally I'll chat in gmail, or exchange text messages, but that's it.

I think computer based instant messaging has slowly become obsolete in favor of other technologies, and this is reflected in microsofts move to replace it with skype.

I need to make a backup of my contacts. I haven't used Messenger in years, still have alot of old friends from back in my early gaming years.

interesting news... steam still seems superior to skype... wonder what gaben has in store for the next installment

But thats all probably seen as pointless now that people don't use 16k modems! :D

It is kind of weird, everyone used to use chatrooms and messengers, but then they got replaced by slower more permanent forms of communication like Facebook...

16K modems?

In my time I had 2,400, 9,600, 14.4k, 28.8k and 33.6k and 56k modems, but I never heard of 16k modems :p

My Courier was the best modem I ever owned.

device.gif

The sportsters weren't bad though.

411Z2XWZQBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The internal winmodem stuff that many computers shipped with were absolute garbage.

Zarathustra[H];1039296806 said:
I used ICQ when I lived in Europe in the late 90s. When I moved back to the U.S. and started college in the fall of '99, EVERYONE there was exclusively using AIM, so I switched.

After graduating in 2003, I gradually stopped using AIM, and now I rarely ever use any kind of text chat at all. Occasionally I'll chat in gmail, or exchange text messages, but that's it.

I think computer based instant messaging has slowly become obsolete in favor of other technologies, and this is reflected in microsofts move to replace it with skype.

I vaguely remember everyone saying how they were "hacked" because of ICQ and it having a general association with viruses. Which kind of painted it in a bad light. :D

Zarathustra[H];1039296831 said:
16K modems?

In my time I had 2,400, 9,600, 14.4k, 28.8k and 33.6k and 56k modems, but I never heard of 16k modems :p

US robotics made modems with a "HST" 16.8k mode! /google :D

Zarathustra[H];1039296433 said:
Ugh.

I remember how much I hated the fact that it would install itself with XP and for a while, there was no way to uninstall it or prevent it from launching.

They fixed that over time as I recall.

msconfig, start up, uncheck MSMSGR.EXE, reboot, no more Live Messenger bothering you.

I would hate for that to happen. It is still my only and preferred messaging program. I find it far superior to skype for text/sending files, lower RAM usage, and is much more stable.

Steam is terrible for messaging, can't send files, ect and I don't want to link everything to my Steam account.

So would all this ultimately be under MS Lync? Says here at this totally reliable source that Lync is to replace Windows Messenger. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Lync
A lot of departments at my job use WLM to chat amongst the group and we're having to research all this Lync bs to make them happy...

Skype is too bloated.

They are making a mistake.

This as well. 20MB VS 85MB of RAM used. LIVE also didn't cause stutters when someone sent me a message when I was playing games. Can't say the same for Skype. New Win 7 install as well.

Skype also lacks offline messaging ect.

between texting, e-mailing, and social networking there hasn't been a need or want to use a messenger. The last thing we need in this world is more ways to 'connect' through the internet imo..

This as well. 20MB VS 85MB of RAM used.

But at this point, thats probably not much of an issue now that even the lowest end computers have 2gb. Steam uses 3-8 times as much ram as either, most browsers use at least 100mb and no one complains. :D

I used to use it like TS/Mumble in games can't say it caused many issues, but it probably does. It doesn't seem the most stable program! :D

So would all this ultimately be under MS Lync? Says here at this totally reliable source that Lync is to replace Windows Messenger. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Lync
A lot of departments at my job use WLM to chat amongst the group and we're having to research all this Lync bs to make them happy...

What was that MS chat type program that came on some old OS that had the jester icon?

But at this point, thats probably not much of an issue now that even the lowest end computers have 2gb. Steam uses 3-8 times as much ram as either, most browsers use at least 100mb and no one complains. :D

It's not really about RAM usage. It's more about snappiness and simplicity. Lack of discernible bloat.

I just gave up on having friends its easier......I'll always have Siri and Tom from Myfacespace.

I would hate for that to happen. It is still my only and preferred messaging program. I find it far superior to skype for text/sending files, lower RAM usage, and is much more stable.

Steam is terrible for messaging, can't send files, ect and I don't want to link everything to my Steam account.

Sending files is definitely one of the biggest pluses for Live Messenger. It's one of the few ways that is generally consistent with working that I can use. I can put files onto a web server for others to download, but there are even less ways for someone to quickly send something to me if they don't have a way to host it. You could use something like rapidshare but that isn't without limitations and hassle as well.

I never really got into MSNM/WLM. Everyone I knew just continued using AIM, albeit not with the horrible AOL client. I still sign into AIM, via Trillian, but I find I chat via Steam far more frequently. If Steam did video and file transfers there would be even less reason to keep other messenger accounts around for me.

It's not really about RAM usage. It's more about snappiness and simplicity. Lack of discernible bloat.

But bloat is relative. In my experience with Skype i've never used it to phone someone, mainly just to team speak during certain games and to show the desktop to a single person. Therefore to me the phone parts are all needless bloat that I have no use for, yet it takes up RAM. But Skype isn't designed to be a low footprint low overhead communications tool. It's an entertainment device, and people like features and more stuff.

I never really got into MSNM/WLM. Everyone I knew just continued using AIM, albeit not with the horrible AOL client. I still sign into AIM, via Trillian, but I find I chat via Steam far more frequently. If Steam did video and file transfers there would be even less reason to keep other messenger accounts around for me.

Dropbox?

msconfig, start up, uncheck MSMSGR.EXE, reboot, no more Live Messenger bothering you.

I'm aware of that now, and it may not even be necessary anymore. I'm not convinced this even worked back then., and it would randomly come back after being exited, as I recall. But it's been like 10 years, so I can't remember anymore.

I vaguely remember everyone saying how they were "hacked" because of ICQ and it having a general association with viruses. Which kind of painted it in a bad light. :D

US robotics made modems with a "HST" 16.8k mode! /google :D

That extra 0.8 is not to be neglected though! :p

Back