How is it possible that I get 4G with Straight Talk? No lock down?

JoeUser

2[H]4U
Recently switched from Sprint to Straight Talk using my Galaxy Note.

After searching the web and shnit I now have a APN that allows me to use 4G using Straight Talk.

My question is HOW? Not that I'm complaining or anything (getting 8MB down 3MB up :D) but if my service is through Straight Talk why don't they have it locked down to 3G only APN's or anything?

I mean, I'm getting unlimited everything with AT&T 4G LTE (I'm assuming, speeds and the 4G icon kind of confirm this) for $45 a month no contract...what reason would anyone have for going with AT&T in the first place? Buddy of mine is paying like $130+ a month for his AT&T contract and getting the EXACT same thing I am minus unlimited data (already at 3GB too with no throttling so far).

Just blows me away that with using a different APN I now have something that Straight Talk doesn't offer at all with IT'S service.

ST drops the bomb on you once you start streaming stuff.

Meh, not too big a deal...Wi-Fi at home and work. Even then, its still 4G...and if I can get 4G (obvious bypass) I don't know how the throttling would work...

probably "4G" HSPA+, not 4G LTE. Unless the icon actually says LTE.

Speeds sound more like HSPA+ ..... and watch out, ST is known for dropping you if you pass 2GB by much.

Anyhow, nice speeds though for 45 bucks a month D:

You can always get 4G (Faux G HSPA+) with Straight Talk... but as noted above if you use too much bandwidth they will throttle your ass bigtime. 2GB seems to be the monthly threshold, but more importantly if you use more than 100MB a day for more than a few days in a row ...

And again, as noted above Straight Talk is known for being absolutely nazi when it comes to dealing with people who run over the bandwidth limits. They will either outright terminate your service or threaten to do so at the drop of a hat.

You can always get 4G (Faux G HSPA+) with Straight Talk... but as noted above if you use too much bandwidth they will throttle your ass bigtime. 2GB seems to be the monthly threshold, but more importantly if you use more than 100MB a day for more than a few days in a row ...

And again, as noted above Straight Talk is known for being absolutely nazi when it comes to dealing with people who run over the bandwidth limits. They will either outright terminate your service or threaten to do so at the drop of a hat.

Wouldnt that then be considered false advertising? I mean throttling sure, but to cancel service because of data is hardly "unlimited"...

Plus I'm already at 3GB usage with no throttling! Hmmm...we'll see...

Straight from Straight Talk's terms of service:

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

and...

7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.

So, now let's analyze that :)

The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following:

Here we go!

(i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls;

Here's where they place a vague limit on the number of calls/minutes that you can make. "Unlimited" isn't really unlimited, and whatever their hidden threshold is, they can terminate you.

(ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address;

If you open up your messaging/messages app, select a contact, and send a message, that's a text message. But, if you are in another app, select "share", and that app opens up your messages app, ST can consider that to be "automated." Do that even once, and if you go over their hidden "unlimited" SMS/MMS threshold, they'll use that as an excuse to terminate you.

(iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games;

No Youtube, Pandora, Netflix

(1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit,

You can only access the internet through apps that came pre-installed on the device, subject to the prior limitations. So downloading another app and then using bandwidth via that app is a no-no.

(2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync.

No data sharing, IE, USB/bluetooth tethering or mobile hotspot. That's a given.
------------------------------------------

Are Straight Talk employees going to track down your web use? Not hardly. But, if you go over their hidden "unlimited" thresholds, they will use any of the above loopholes as justification. For all we know, their "unlimited" is 1,000 minutes, 2,500 SMS/MMS, and 2GB data. But whatever the limits are, spelling it out would decrease uptake of their plans. People don't want to have to think about their usage. ST is for light users, and they keep it this way by advertising unlimited and kicking users that aren't profitable.

Thank you very much Medion for your detailed clarification.

Straight Talk would (possibly or probably) terminate the user just for streaming a YouTube!? Am assuming that "streaming" means simply viewing a YouTube? And they will be doing this even if you haven't reached your allotted 2GB of data? Am not so sure I want to use Straight Talk after reading that. I can imagine my going to a news web site and accidentally launching a news video then being terminated?

Last edited:
Thank you very much Medion for your detailed clarification.

ST would (possibly or probably) terminate the user just for streaming a YouTube!? Am assuming that "streaming" means simply viewing a YouTube? And they will be doing this even if you haven't reached your allotted 2GB of data? That's terrible, am not so sure I want to use Straight Talk after reading that. I can imagine my going to a news web site and accidentally launching a news video then being terminated?

They wouldn't terminate you for streaming Youtube. They give themselves all of those loopholes so that if you go over their vague limit, they can find SOME excuse to terminate you for a ToS violation.

They wouldn't terminate you for streaming Youtube. They give themselves all of those loopholes so that if you go over their vague limit, they can find SOME excuse to terminate you for a ToS violation.

I guess that's some consolation then, thanks.

If it's too good to be true, there's probably a catch. Glad I seen this thread and the post by Medion. I was considering a Straight Talk plan and a new Note 2 or GS3 phone. I want to be able to stream Pandora and/or check out my Youtube subs throughout the day. When I heard about this "unlimited" plan, I was excited! After all, the other carriers want to charge you nearly $90 a month for that. I can't justify paying that much for any phone plan, so when I seen that I could, well, thought I could, get unlimited for on $45 I almost jumped at it. Thank goodness I did a little research first.

Phone plans = :mad:

If it's too good to be true, there's probably a catch. Glad I seen this thread and the post by Medion. I was considering a Straight Talk plan and a new Note 2 or GS3 phone. I want to be able to stream Pandora and/or check out my Youtube subs throughout the day. When I heard about this "unlimited" plan, I was excited! After all, the other carriers want to charge you nearly $90 a month for that. I can't justify paying that much for any phone plan, so when I seen that I could, well, thought I could, get unlimited for on $45 I almost jumped at it. Thank goodness I did a little research first.

You can get unlimited data on the cheap though. T-Mobile bring your own phone (AKA, value) plans will fit the bill. $49.99/mo gets you 500 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited 2G data (first 2GB at 4G speeds). An extra $10/mo can get you unlimited minutes or unlimited 4G data, so $69.99/mo for truly unlimited everything. Gets even cheaper when you add more lines.

The one catch is that tethering is not allowed (you have to pay extra for that, and tethering is capped). If you have a truly unlocked phone, they won't know if you're tethering, but that is the one TOS violation they can get you on (unlike MVNOs who have ToS violations out the ass, as shown previously).

All MVNOs are like that to some degree. Simple Mobile is EXACTLY the same.

That's because Simple Mobile is owned and operated by Tracfone/América Móvil (as of earlier this year), as is Straight Talk, as is SafeLink, as is Net10....

All of their Terms of Use / Acceptable User Policies are pretty much identical word for word.

But most MVNOs are going to have similar restrictions, hell even most of the big boys have similar restrictions if you read the fine print.

That's because Simple Mobile is owned and operated by Tracfone/América Móvil (as of earlier this year), as is Straight Talk, as is SafeLink, as is Net10....

All of their Terms of Use / Acceptable User Policies are pretty much identical word for word.

But most MVNOs are going to have similar restrictions, hell even most of the big boys have similar restrictions if you read the fine print.

The main limitation for any MVNO is that they pay for data from the big boys. Given that the big boys don't like they idea of losing a $70/mo customer to a smaller carrier for $50/mo, they're going to extract what they can from the MVNO. So, the MVNO has to be as efficient as possible, catering to light users who use cheaper phones.

The big boys are much less restrictive on their data usage, with just about everything in play on the tiered plans since you're paying for buckets.

You can get unlimited data on the cheap though. T-Mobile bring your own phone (AKA, value) plans will fit the bill. $49.99/mo gets you 500 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited 2G data (first 2GB at 4G speeds). An extra $10/mo can get you unlimited minutes or unlimited 4G data, so $69.99/mo for truly unlimited everything. Gets even cheaper when you add more lines.

The one catch is that tethering is not allowed (you have to pay extra for that, and tethering is capped). If you have a truly unlocked phone, they won't know if you're tethering, but that is the one TOS violation they can get you on (unlike MVNOs who have ToS violations out the ass, as shown previously).

There's another catch. T-Mobile's "value" plans carry a 2 year term commitment just like their subsidized plans do.

This is why I haven't left my $64 Sprint plan (student discount) with unlimited data and free mobile to mobile calls. Speeds may be shit at times but LTE's on schedule for early 2013 here in Puerto Rico (geographically small but uber saturated market) and 3G hasn't gotten bad enough for me to leave.

T-Mobile's plans are more flexible though, if you want unlimited you still end up paying $80+ but if you can live with 5GB and/or buy your phone off contract you can come in below that (see posts above). I'm giving Sprint until next year to get their crap in order...

If you don't use a lot of talk minutes tho, that $30 T-Mobile plan for a few minutes and a bunch of data is tough to beat (I forget the exact numbers, 100 min/5GB I think?).

Last edited:
There's another catch. T-Mobile's "value" plans carry a 2 year term commitment just like their subsidized plans do.

When we went back to t-mo last December, there was the option with and without contract...... With contract was a little lower on a per month basis than off contract however it was offered without a contract.

Yeah, I'm still considering moving to Straight Talk (from Virgin Mobile). But it'd be $10 more a month. Virgin is pretty good about data usage - straight talk is a lot more of a pain in the ass with nebulous daily/monthly limits.

Don't get me wrong - Virgin apparently does throttling if you're using a lot of data - but it's a lot more rare by all accounts and there doesn't appear to be any unspoken daily limits like ST.

I'm a very light data user, but I'm not sure it's worth worrying about the daily limits. Monthly isn't a problem (I rarely go through more than a gig, if that...rarely maybe 2gb).

Don't get me wrong - Virgin apparently does throttling if you're using a lot of data - but it's a lot more rare by all accounts and there doesn't appear to be any unspoken daily limits like ST.

Virgin (Sprint) doesn't need to throttle... hell their normal EVDO speeds are usually bad enough as it is.

When we went back to t-mo last December, there was the option with and without contract...... With contract was a little lower on a per month basis than off contract however it was offered without a contract.

That's changed, from what I understand. I'd have no problem bringing my own device for cheaper service, but not if I have to sign a contract.

Have you gone instore ? The value plan we have doesnt even show up on the T-Mo site ($99 a month for 4x phones, pooled 1k minutes with the general nights/weekend crap ..... dont even come close to 1k minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB data cap on one line)

Wow... Those terms. Way to piss on your customer.

This is no different than all the websites that offer unlimited space and bandwidth for 1.99 / month. Fact is their are no free rides. The question is more about how much you pay, since most of the big carriers also limit your bandwidth anyway. If your usage is not that bad why pay more?

Virgin (Sprint) doesn't need to throttle... hell their normal EVDO speeds are usually bad enough as it is.

I can't agree with that more.

Switched to virgin last year to get away from my crazy verizon bill. Speeds are beyond slow. 3G is spotty at times, and even when it's on the speeds are dialup slow.

I've already ordered my T-Mo prepay micro-sim and I'm just waiting on the nexus 4 to release.

I can't agree with that more.

Switched to virgin last year to get away from my crazy verizon bill. Speeds are beyond slow. 3G is spotty at times, and even when it's on the speeds are dialup slow.

I've already ordered my T-Mo prepay micro-sim and I'm just waiting on the nexus 4 to release.

Here in Dallas/Fort Worth Sprint's 3G (EVDO) speeds are simply abysmal anywhere I've tried in the metroplex. We're talking usually around 128 - 256kbit downstream... you may as well compare that to T-Mobile's EDGE (2G) speeds.

Hell with T-Mobile and the infamous $30 / 5GB plan I get 5GB of 4G (HSPA+) data and only then does it drop to 2G speeds. Just a win all around for me. :)

Straight from Straight Talk's terms of service:

and...

I know I'm late to this party, but it looks like the language in their Terms and conditions have changed pretty significantly on this point. It now speaks of "continuous uninterrupted mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls," and "uploading, downloading or streaming of uninterrupted continuous video;"

Must less stringent than the old language.

Here in Dallas/Fort Worth Sprint's 3G (EVDO) speeds are simply abysmal anywhere I've tried in the metroplex. We're talking usually around 128 - 256kbit downstream... you may as well compare that to T-Mobile's EDGE (2G) speeds.

Hell with T-Mobile and the infamous $30 / 5GB plan I get 5GB of 4G (HSPA+) data and only then does it drop to 2G speeds. Just a win all around for me. :)

Wow Blue, you're getting better service out of your Tmobile than I am here in the DFW area then. I live in Irving and Tmobile is horrible. I can get a 25% discount w/Verizon through my company and I'm thinking about switching to their shared plan. Verizon is great here and the difference a month would be a wash. I've thought about ST too and I'm still weighing that option as well.

Wow Blue, you're getting better service out of your Tmobile than I am here in the DFW area then. I live in Irving and Tmobile is horrible. I can get a 25% discount w/Verizon through my company and I'm thinking about switching to their shared plan. Verizon is great here and the difference a month would be a wash. I've thought about ST too and I'm still weighing that option as well.

Well no one can argue that Verizon is awesome, if you can afford it by all means...

But for us poor folks the value that T-Mo (and MVNO's like Straight Talk) offer is hard to beat.

I still love my $30/month T-Mobile plan - about the only complaints I have are standard T-Mobile ones like:

1. Their signal doesn't penetrate buildings that well compared to AT&T's.
2. Data coverage out in the boonies of east Texas is spotty at best and normally non-existant. Out there T-Mobile's signal is routed through old Cellular One towers apparently, and they don't do anything but voice and SMS.

I've been thinking about grabbing a Straight Talk AT&T SIM and trying it for a month just to see how better or worse the coverage is.

I just ditched verizon for tmo's $30 all you can eat data and text with 100 minutes a month. Got my home voip phone and I'm ready to save fifty a month.

Well no one can argue that Verizon is awesome, if you can afford it by all means...

But for us poor folks the value that T-Mo (and MVNO's like Straight Talk) offer is hard to beat.

Oh I'm not saying I have the money to blow on Verizon. Right now, two lines, with a 12% company discount on Tmo, I pay about ~$135 at most for 1000 minutes/unlimited text/2GB data (that I can't use most of the time). With a 25% discount on Verizon I can get two lines unlimited minutes/text ($40 each) with 4GB shared ($70) down to $112.50. I figure taxes (Texas is #10 on the list at 17.48% average) would push the total to $132.17, maybe slightly less since that discount also applies to some Federal tax too. Anyhow, I go from 1000 mintues to unlimited, the same 2GB data more or less and rock solid service.

Of course all that is negated if ST proves to be okay which would cost me only $90 a month then. I hear from some folks though if you top 100MB in a single day they will throttle (or even disconnect you I hear too) your service the rest of the billing cycle. This is my worry. I would hate to port my number and get disconnected, losing my number in the process.

Oh I'm not saying I have the money to blow on Verizon. Right now, two lines, with a 12% company discount on Tmo, I pay about ~$135 at most for 1000 minutes/unlimited text/2GB data (that I can't use most of the time). With a 25% discount on Verizon I can get two lines unlimited minutes/text ($40 each) with 4GB shared ($70) down to $112.50. I figure taxes (Texas is #10 on the list at 17.48% average) would push the total to $132.17, maybe slightly less since that discount also applies to some Federal tax too. Anyhow, I go from 1000 mintues to unlimited, the same 2GB data more or less and rock solid service.

Of course all that is negated if ST proves to be okay which would cost me only $90 a month then. I hear from some folks though if you top 100MB in a single day they will throttle (or even disconnect you I hear too) your service the rest of the billing cycle. This is my worry. I would hate to port my number and get disconnected, losing my number in the process.

You could port your number to a google voice account, then install google voice on your phone. You can setup your phone to use your voice number for all outgoing/incoming calls.

Back