Acer S275HL bmii 27" 1080p IPS monitor quick review

livefastdieyoung

Limp Gawd
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.HS5AA.001

ordered it from buy.com last week, got it today.

it has a glossy panel, with glossy plastics. the panel's very likely the same 6-bit one in the dell s2740l.

it has 1 vga port, 2 hdmi ports, an audio in jack, and 2 speakers which are expectedly shit. the power supply is an external brick and all of the ports are in the monitor base. there is no vesa mount. the monitor has tilt adjustment (-3 to 15 degrees) only, no height or pivot adjustment. the monitor's bezel design is exactly like that of the lg ips277l - it has a physical bezel of about 2mm at the top, left, and right sides, but the actual display area begins further in. the effective 'bezel' thickness is 12mm top/left/right, and 20mm bottom.

maximum brightness is around 280 cd/m2, and minimum brightness is about 85. at the default settings, contrast is around 1000:1. with color mode set to user and the values for rgb at their defaults, white point was around 6600k, and gamma at 2.15.

there is significant rtc overshoot, just as on the dell s2740l. it can be disabled via the service menu (accessed by holding down the 'e' button while powering up the monitor, then going into the osd and selecting the 'F' character in the upper left corner of the osd), but the setting doesn't hold through a power cycle or signal loss.

the backlight uses pwm.

input lag is pretty low, i'd guess at most one frame.

the monitor can run at 75hz without dropping frames. the rtc overshoot is a little less noticeable at 75hz.

ran the monitor through the usual tests and the panel with a full white screen is pretty uniform. both lower corners and the top edge have quite a bit of backlight bleed on a black screen. ips glow was about normal. no dead pixels, and i thought pixelwise the panel was perfect until i put up a solid black screen and looked very closely. about 1/3 of the entire panel is covered with stuck red subpixels, all layed out in a consistent hexagonal pattern. i'm talking hundreds of them. they're not stuck full bright of course, but maybe 10% brightness. at a normal viewing distance they're not visible, even with the large pixel pitch.

stuck subpixels

at around $400 this monitor is overpriced for what it is. the aoc i2757fh is about $100 less. functionally, they're about the same, except that the aoc isn't glossy and has adjustable overdrive.

Last edited:

yes, that worked. holding the leftmost button while powering the monitor on, and then pressing 'menu', brings up the standard osd, but with a letter 'F' in the top left corner. if you select the f and then hit menu again, it brings up the service menu.

overdrive can be disabled. however, it's not permanent. after a power cycle or signal loss, overdrive is re-enabled.

also, every time you enter the service menu, the color temperature setting resets to 'warm'.

Last edited:
Cool quick review.

The stuck subpixels sounds like image retention issue, doesent it? Are there any tool for fixing it in the menus like on the S2740L? .. otherwise I'm sure there are some software for it somewhere.

The stuck subpixels sounds like image retention issue, doesent it? Are there any tool for fixing it in the menus like on the S2740L?

if that's image retention, it's unlike any lcd image retention i've ever seen. there's a 'burn-in' function in the service menu, but i'm not sure how that function is used or what it really does.

aside from the backlight bleed and the stuck subpixels, the monitor is actually pretty good in terms of image quality. at 75hz the rtc overshoot isn't too noticeable. i just think it should be closer pricewise to the aoc i2757fh.

i'll update the post later with pics.

some more thoughts after using this monitor extensively (watching movies, playing games, general use) over the weekend:

overall the image quality is very good (setting aside the panel issues with my unit). default out-of-box colors are also quite good. after calibration, there is some banding evident in gradients, but nothing dealbreaking or even out of the ordinary for a 6-bit panel. you'll see it if you go looking for it, but otherwise you probably won't notice it.

the rtc overshoot was most noticeable when watching movies and tv shows at 24fps. 24fps isn't smooth to begin with, and the rtc overshoot made some motion scenes noticeably more juddery. this jerkiness was most visible on the edges of white objects moving across darker backgrounds.

in the end, having the overdrive off was easier on my eyes.

gaming is great on this screen due to the combination of low input lag, fairly accurate default colors, glossy panel clarity, and especially the ability to run at 75hz. it almost even made medal of honor warfighter tolerable.

the screen is a bit wobbly, but then again my desk isn't the most stable thing.

i ran into an odd issue after calibration - the white levels page on lagom.nl showed the squares in levels 251-254 with a purplish tinge to the gray, rather than being pure gray. if i then turned the contrast down from the default 50 to 49, the purplish tinge disappeared, but white levels dropped slightly throughout the screen. the screen did well with all of the other lcd test pages. this purplish tinge didn't happen with the monitor in its default uncalibrated state. i'll play around with this a bit more.

replacement arrived today. plugged it in, powered it on, and

XqwIE.jpg

tsefw.jpg

dark room, max brightness, long exposure. that magenta blob is where all the stuck subpixels are. ignore the handful of stuck bright pixels, that's a problem with my camera's sensor, not the monitor.

this unit has EXACTLY the same issue!

poor acer, they must be getting the grade d panel rejects from lg.

...but i'm more inclined to believe this is a bad batch of electronics/firmware.

too bad, as i otherwise like this monitor. it's basically a dell s2740l with less glare, the ability to run at 75hz (has anyone tried this on the dell?) and overdrive that can be disabled to get rid of that nasty rtc overshoot.

Last edited:
If you really like it try ordering one from a different retailer (one with a hassle free return+exchange policy of course). Maybe only the displays buy has have this issue, or maybe not...

My friend just bought a viewsonic vx2770smh, he reviews TV's and owns a colorimeter. His viewsonic had really good color presets like the Dell and Acer, no overshoot like the Dell and it uses a matte sticker, so you can peel it off (just like the LG DM2792) and have a glossy display.

Too bad your new Acer doesn't work, it would be interesting to see how much your units vary. Other reviews have confirmed big variances between the Dells in terms of gamma and contrast (PC Monitors and my unit=2-2.2 gamma and 11001: contrast vs PRAD and TFT Centrals 2.3-.2.4 gamma and 800:1 contrast), which is normal for low-mid range IPS.

My friend just bought a viewsonic vx2770smh, he reviews TV's and owns a colorimeter. His viewsonic had really good color presets like the Dell and Acer, no overshoot like the Dell and it uses a matte sticker, so you can peel it off (just like the LG DM2792) and have a glossy display.

yes, i thought about the vx2770smh, as it's 99% likely the same panel as the aoc i2757fh/fm, but i'm not so sure about peeling off the sticker (the aoc has it as well). i say this because this glossy acer also has a sticker, but glossy rather than matte. so i wonder if removing the stickers on these panels is exposing the polarizers, in the same way that people were exposing the polarizers on older matte lcd's by removing the ag films after disassembling their monitors and soaking the panels with wet paper towels. the difference on these newer monitors being that because of the thin-frame 'bezelless' design, you can actually see the edge of the stickers (temptation), and they might be easier to remove. but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

Too bad your new Acer doesn't work, it would be interesting to see how much your units vary. Other reviews have confirmed big variances between the Dells in terms of gamma and contrast (PC Monitors and my unit=2-2.2 gamma and 11001: contrast vs PRAD and TFT Centrals 2.3-.2.4 gamma and 800:1 contrast), which is normal for low-mid range IPS.

the monitor works, it's just that if i look very very closely (eyes about 4-5" away) on a black screen, these stuck dim red subpixels are visible. not across the entire panel, but there's a swatch of them in a region from about 4-7 o'clock from the monitor's center. the location of these stuck subpixels is exactly the same as on the first unit i had. at a normal viewing distance, they're not visible.

other than this, the image quality is really very good.

this unit had 2.22 gamma and 1400:1 contrast out of the box.

Last edited:
It doesn't expose the polarizer, it's just a sticker.

Dat 1400:1 and 2.2 gamma. I wish these displays existed a few years ago. IPS with S-PVA black levels are among us!

Yeah it just a sticker. It's cheaper to use a sticker than embedded AR. There's no red pixels on mine ViewSonic. They are all inactive when displaying black.

Also, LG's new (frame-less) form factor is different to standard LCD form factor hence why the AOC, Viewsonic and LG monitors all look the same. The actual bezel is ~1mm (sides) but the module itself has 10mm thick "inner frame",

Dat 1400:1 and 2.2 gamma. I wish these displays existed a few years ago. IPS with S-PVA black levels are among us!

S-PVA is capable of more than 4000:1. But they are not improving black levels anymore.

maybe you're right, but then i'd have to wonder why the acer has a glossy sticker, rather than simply not having any sticker at all. it doesn't appear to be antireflective, and if it's for protection, then removing it removes that protection.

Yeah it just a sticker. It's cheaper to use a sticker than embedded AR. There's no red pixels on mine ViewSonic. They are all inactive when displaying black.

how difficult was yours to remove? out of curiosity, i tried it on one corner of the aoc i2757 to see how easy it would be, but a little piece broke off, rather than pulling the rest of the sheet with it.

249? You guys are lucky. Does it come with 3year warranty ?

i think it's on sale for a limited time, so i pulled the trigger. 3 year warranty according to viewsonic, and that includes the panel and backlight. unlike aoc which also warranties their monitors for 3 years, but only 1 year for the panels.

I bought 5 on Newegg for 189 ($10 promo code off the 199). I'm planning to use 3 for Nvidia Surround and sell the others for a profit. I'll try to remember to part my results on here.I'm excited to hear it's capable of 75hz!! That'll be huge!

Back