Asus G46VW Thread

HaX

[H]ard|Gawd
Asus G46VW 14" gaming notebook was launched Oct 25th. Thought I would make a new thread for it.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G46VW/#overview
http://rog.asus.com/171262012/g-series-laptops/the-g46vw-gaming-just-got-more-portable/

G46_Left_Top-copy1-799x437.jpg

Specs
  • Intel Core i5-3210M or Core i7-3610QM
  • 1366 x 768 anti-glare display (additional resolutions to be added at a later date)(1600 x 900?)
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 and Nvidia Optimus Technology to dynamically switch between Nvidia GPU and Intel IGP.
  • 3D display support to an external display via HDMI 1.4 & DisplayPort 1.2
  • Intel Thunderbolt option at a later date
  • ASUS SonicMaster Lite audio (2.0 stereo speakers. 25x14mm: same size as G75)
  • Up to 16GB DDR3 1,600MHz (2x8GB)
  • 1x mSATA SSD slot and 1x 2.5″ HDD/Hybrid HDD options (RAID 1/0 options between the two)
  • 802.11n and 802.11ac Wireless options
  • Bluetooth v4
  • ASUS Super Hybrid Engine II with 2 second resume time for up to 2 weeks (depending on battery level). No loss of data even if battery empties.
  • Built in HD camera and array microphone
  • Windows 8/Windows 8 Pro options
  • 34.8 x 26.1 x 2.3-3.8cm dimensions.
  • 2.5kg (5.5lb)
  • No optical drive

11/2 Added Links & Pic

Last edited:
Cant say I would enjoy it with that resolution but others may feel different about it.

I agree, but at least asus claims they'll add more resolutions at later date.

What's the quality and "feel" of these like? Pretty solid? Metal or plastic? Good keyboard?

Well the feel should be similar to the other G series stealth fighter looking laptops only smaller. It'll be thicker in the rear with it's dual cooling fan solution and thinner in the front. there's no reviews yet but im thinking it'll be pretty solid, i like the build quality of my asus g73. The palm rest looks like brushed aluminum but without any details on it or reviews can't say if it's real brushed aluminum or not. Keyboard is backlit, not sure how sturdy or responsive but looks similar to my g73. Touchpad has up to three touch gestures on it.

cool factor: rog logo illuminates

Comparison:
m14x: 1.49" (H) x 13.27" (W) x 10.17" (D)
g43vw: 1.49" to 0.90" (H) x 13.70" (W) x 10.27" (D)

Availability: Dec at bestbuy

Last edited:
not sure how easy it is to upgrade yet, the manual says there's only an memory easy access panel. the manual is accessible through the first link I provided.

At that resolution, it should be under a grand. I suspect they are countering the Lenovo Y580 offerings.

know i'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but it looks like it would make a decent work laptop

i agree with you, has decent productivity ports, the look of it isn't too intrusive (the illuminated rog logo might be if you can't turn it off). pretty strong performance, just have to wait and see for some reviews on build quality and all that fun stuff.

I wonder how well does the 14.0" Screen would work for gaming and multitasking.
I never held a 14" Laptop, but I don't know if it is good enough.

I wonder how well does the 14.0" Screen would work for gaming and multitasking.
I never held a 14" Laptop, but I don't know if it is good enough.

If the popularity of the Alienware M11x is any indicator, I would say that a smaller screen like that would be pretty decent. Only thing is, is for the resolution on this ASUS, the 660m might be a bit of overkill.

If the popularity of the Alienware M11x is any indicator, I would say that a smaller screen like that would be pretty decent. Only thing is, is for the resolution on this ASUS, the 660m might be a bit of overkill.

I agree for a 14" Laptop using GTX 660m is an overkill. It should be GT 630-650m IMO.

overkill, no such thing. especially in the gaming world.

Man I wish they would hurry up and release the laptop already or at least tell us the price for it :(

Hmm 5.5 lbs laptop.....
How heavy is it?
Give me an example of an object that actually weigh 5.5 lbs or around it.

if you pick up a child's size bowling ball that's usually around 6lbs so a little lighter than that. or just go to like a local gym and pick up one of those girly 5lb weights lol

Last edited:
i have a g55 , its one hell of a beast. Build quality is top notch.

Say does the size of the laptop affect the keyboard?
I mean 15.6" or 17.3" seem like it has enough room for you to type, but what about 14" Laptop?

Say does the size of the laptop affect the keyboard?
I mean 15.6" or 17.3" seem like it has enough room for you to type, but what about 14" Laptop?

It can, yea, but it depends on the design of the laptop.

For example, my X220, 12.5", uses the same keyboard as the T420, 14", but because it goes from edge to edge it's really roomy even at 12.5". Other keyboards, like those from Acer, usually are much more cramped the smaller the laptop is.

Man I wish they would hurry up and release the laptop already or at least tell us the price for it :(

Hmm 5.5 lbs laptop.....
How heavy is it?
Give me an example of an object that actually weigh 5.5 lbs or around it.

I had a ~5.5lbs laptop that I'd carry around all day, and if I carried my lunch and a bottle of water along with some magazines and books, my bag would be very cumbersome by the end of the day. With my current 3.5lbs laptop I can certainly feel the 2lb difference in weight. Although it might not seem like much, if you're carrying a bag around for a couple of hours a day it is substantial.

I'm not quite familiar with Asus stealth plane gaming laptop like G55, G75 and etc.
Do you EVEN need a cooling pad? I do hear that those laptop is really cool, but I am not sure if you need it though.

I'm not quite familiar with Asus stealth plane gaming laptop like G55, G75 and etc.
Do you EVEN need a cooling pad? I do hear that those laptop is really cool, but I am not sure if you need it though.

I was thinking the same thing. My ASUS ROG laptop is one of the first gens so it doesn't have the rear dual exhaust build. The fan spinning up is very audible and the side exhaust is very hot. You can also feel the heat on the keyboard over time.

Just last night I went to a friend's and his gf was playing LoL on his G73 (or G75? couldn't tell). I immediately jumped on the chance to try this thing out. I booted up GW2 and played for an hour with literally no warmth on the keyboard aside from the heat from my own palm. The rear exhaust was warm but not too hot and the fan was very silent. Either the GTX 660M is extremely efficient or these ASUS laptops have amazing cooling design... or both. But I'm nearly sold on getting another ROG laptop to replace mine based on cooling design alone.

The resolution really just... breaks the deal, I know it's a 14 incher and all, but 1k for 1366x768? I'd step it up an inch and get a G55 w 1080P.

The GTX 660M is no overkill for this laptop, it's more future proof. @ 1366x768 anyway.

no cooling pad needed for the g55. my old g51 was running wayyyy hotter.

So has anyone else actually bought it yet? I have.. and I think I might return it tomorrow. The trackpad is awfully positioned so that you constantly brush it while using wasd, the fan has a relatively quiet yet awful sound, not a constant whir but almost as if it's off balance (hopefully that's not just me), I get harsh, periodic frame drops while playing on battery (and it is set to high performance even for battery mode), and the keyboard won't light up and I can't figure out how to make it do so. Also Windows 8 is a fucking wreck. So yeah, anyone else?

So has anyone else actually bought it yet? I have.. and I think I might return it tomorrow. The trackpad is awfully positioned so that you constantly brush it while using wasd, the fan has a relatively quiet yet awful sound, not a constant whir but almost as if it's off balance (hopefully that's not just me), I get harsh, periodic frame drops while playing on battery (and it is set to high performance even for battery mode), and the keyboard won't light up and I can't figure out how to make it do so. Also Windows 8 is a fucking wreck. So yeah, anyone else?

- You can turn off the trackpad while gaming (fn + f9) (I'm assuming you're using a mouse while gaming...)
- My fan is absolutely quiet after hour+ of gaming
- I have not really gamed on battery so I'm not sure if there are frame drops.
- Yes Windows 8 sucks. There are ways around the new "features" if you want to put forth the effort (i.e. get the start button back etc.).

- You can turn off the trackpad while gaming (fn + f9) (I'm assuming you're using a mouse while gaming...)
- My fan is absolutely quiet after hour+ of gaming
- I have not really gamed on battery so I'm not sure if there are frame drops.
- Yes Windows 8 sucks. There are ways around the new "features" if you want to put forth the effort (i.e. get the start button back etc.).

Cool, I figured out the backlit keyboard from this too. Can you do me a favor and give your fan a really close listen next time you're playing? If this racket is just me then I definitely want to get this laptop switched out at the very least.

Back