Ducky shine 2 ??

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
I have been waiting for a backlit mechanical tenkeyless for over a year. I'm about to pull the trigger on the new shine 2...this one

http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=12176

couple of questions before I drop the coin;

on the Ducky page http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/DK9087_shine2.html they state

Supporting Interface: USB
Supporting Keys:6-Key Rollover or N-Key Rollover

now, my understanding was that the PS2 interface was necessary to support NKRO so this seems contradictory, I know that NKRO is very rarely necessary but still, are they just blowing smoke up our ass here?

Also, anybody actually have one of these yet? is it actually "charming and fascinating" lol?

I have the Ducky Year of the Dragon with Cherry MX Blacks & Green LED.

I have had a dozen different brands over the years. I switched from a Vortex Poker to the Ducky and I can honestly say the quality of the Ducky is second to none.

I'm not sure on the N-Key rollover but I do believe PS2 is required for this.

My keyboard came with a set of red WSAD keys and a plastic cover for the keyboard as well. Might have gotten the additional stuff due to being a limited edition though.

I have been waiting for a backlit mechanical tenkeyless for over a year. I'm about to pull the trigger on the new shine 2...this one

http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=12176

couple of questions before I drop the coin;

on the Ducky page http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/DK9087_shine2.html they state

Supporting Interface: USB
Supporting Keys:6-Key Rollover or N-Key Rollover

now, my understanding was that the PS2 interface was necessary to support NKRO so this seems contradictory, I know that NKRO is very rarely necessary but still, are they just blowing smoke up our ass here?

Also, anybody actually have one of these yet? is it actually "charming and fascinating" lol?

While I don't have one, my Filco has a USB plug and a PS/2 adapter. 6 key ro for USB, and NKRO for the PS/2. It's probably the same with that Ducky. That's what you get with translations, I wouldn't sweat it too much if the board is awesome every other way.

Nice lookin board though, let us know how you like it.

yeah, pulled the trigger, NKRO is sort of a vanity feature anyway, most of these modern keyboards assign the pinout around the WASD area so you can actually do 6 things at once anyway

4 day shipping, will advise

yeah, pulled the trigger, NKRO is sort of a vanity feature anyway, most of these modern keyboards assign the pinout around the WASD area so you can actually do 6 things at once anyway

4 day shipping, will advise

Actually the 6KRO is 6KRO; the NKRO is toggled with a DIP switch on the back and it is through USB (PS/2 converters don't work properly with these boards), there is no "pinout" area or "anti-ghosting" matrixing like you see on rubber domes. As far as I can tell using Aquakeytest, it is real NKRO over USB; I never use this feature myself because NKRO implementations over USB are still a bit immature and can cause problems with BIOS operations.

I got a Shine II right when they were released and I'm very happy with it. NKRO over USB has been possible for a few years now (my Ducky 9008G2 had that feature), however it may not place nice with UEFI or BIOS (which is why they now give you DIP switches to switch between NKRO or 6KRO). My Shine II with Cherry Brown switches and white backlight has replaced my Ducky 9008G2 with black switches.

Actually the 6KRO is 6KRO; the NKRO is toggled with a DIP switch on the back and it is through USB (PS/2 converters don't work properly with these boards), there is no "pinout" area or "anti-ghosting" matrixing like you see on rubber domes. As far as I can tell using Aquakeytest, it is real NKRO over USB; I never use this feature myself because NKRO implementations over USB are still a bit immature and can cause problems with BIOS operations.

thanks, I was unaware of that

While I don't have one, my Filco has a USB plug and a PS/2 adapter. 6 key ro for USB, and NKRO for the PS/2. It's probably the same with that Ducky. That's what you get with translations, I wouldn't sweat it too much if the board is awesome every other way.

Nice lookin board though, let us know how you like it.

Same with the Das Keyboards and the CM QuickFire Rapid. 6 key is done via software emulation on USB I believe. NKRO though hardware via PS/2.

The Ducky Year of the Dragon, Shining 2 and G2 (pro) are not compatible with normal PS/2 adapters, they use DIP switches to toggle 6KRO <> NKRO over USB.

That's not a bad price on that thing either. Cheaper than most non-backlit keyboards out there.

I dunno, that is up to you

I like it, but I would advise folks to get WASD's switch sampler first if you are not already familiar with the available switches. I got blues and I wish I could try browns

Do the leds light up when you restart the computer on these new ones. I have a ducky shine original and hate it. I use it in my game room on my htpc and almost always play in the dark. So when I fire up my computer I'm hunting around for the fn and light buttons. Other than that it's a decent overpriced keyboard. :D

It seems to light up on boot

it is redder than I would like with the "blue" lights

it clicks

the cat LOVES it!!

Do the leds light up when you restart the computer on these new ones. I have a ducky shine original and hate it. I use it in my game room on my htpc and almost always play in the dark. So when I fire up my computer I'm hunting around for the fn and light buttons. Other than that it's a decent overpriced keyboard. :D

Yes, it lights up on startup.

Back