Borderlands 2 Has Shipped 5M Units

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Borderlands 2 has boosted Take-Two's bottom line by shipping five million units. With GTA5 on the horizon, the company says it expects to generate "substantial revenue and earnings growth." Ya think?

"Take-Two's second quarter revenue and earnings exceeded our outlook, driven by the breakout success of 2K's Borderlands 2 and robust demand for our catalog and digitally delivered offerings," noted Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick. "Moreover, with Grand Theft Auto 5 slated for spring 2013, we are poised to generate substantial revenue and earnings growth in fiscal year 2014."

Its pretty much a perfect game. There were some small glitches, but nothing that kept people from playing it from day 1. It has also gotten better over time, but the humor the weapons, the enemies, the weapons. It is addicting and a perfect followup sequel.

A game that makes me keep coming back to play more and more as well as laugh my damn ass off more than once can't quite be beat. There aren't many games I can claim that about but BL2 very much keeps me coming back for more.

Question of the day since that article didn't mention it: digital sales included or not?

If not, someone needs to figure out a ballpark formula for estimating how many digital copies a game sells--otherwise the complete picture isn't visible. The "PC gaming is dying, look at sales" argument will only be completely shot to hell if all sales figures include things like Steam (where many of us buy our games).

I'm patiently waiting for the all-DLC included GoTY edition for $10-20.

But congrats to Take-Two on the success.

Question of the day since that article didn't mention it: digital sales included or not?

If not, someone needs to figure out a ballpark formula for estimating how many digital copies a game sells--otherwise the complete picture isn't visible. The "PC gaming is dying, look at sales" argument will only be completely shot to hell if all sales figures include things like Steam (where many of us buy our games).

Steam does not report sales so I can assure that these sales numbers do not include digital sales; at least those through Steam.

Steam does not report sales so I can assure that these sales numbers do not include digital sales; at least those through Steam.

Steam doesn't report sales to third parties, but this sales report comes directly from Take-Two. Surely the developer/publisher of the game would know how many copies were sold through Steam.

Article said:
Gearbox Software's Borderlands 2 has shipped 5 million units to date, Take-Two interactive announced this morning in its second quarter financials. The company also noted that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is "proving to be a critical and commercial success." Both games are remarked as having "strong digital sales."

You were saying?

I'm glad to hear BL2 sold so well. This is easily my favorite series right now, and I hope they keep bringing on the sequels. There are a lot more vaults that need to be opened ;)

This is where i miss the old days of expansion paks. DLC for the most part seem way too overpriced for the content you get. though Borderlands 1 DLC wasnt too bad, except for Moxxi's arena.

This is where i miss the old days of expansion paks. DLC for the most part seem way too overpriced for the content you get. though Borderlands 1 DLC wasnt too bad, except for Moxxi's arena.

blast, hate not be able to edit. I was goign to say, they could almost get another company to bring out a good 2-3 expansions, while they work on borderlands 3.

Back