Windows 8 Upgrade vs Clean install

Kiri

Limp Gawd
Ok, I'm ready to try windows 8, but should I upgrade over windows 7 or go for a clean install?
I know a clean install is usually...cleaner. But it would be nice to not have to re-install all my applications... It would be real nice :)

Has anyone upgraded from windows 7 keeping all their applications etc in place successfully and without incident?

Upgrade install over my existing W7 install went smooth as could be. Ymmv so make sure you backup first.

OS and apps is pretty much all I have on my C drive anyway, so I should be good to go.
I think I might just go for the clean install anyway. Its about time I cleared out a few cobwebs :)

i returned the upgrade and bought an OEM

but i can still run it as an upgrade cant i?

also considering just upgrading for now.. i just formatted like 4 weeks ago and idk if i am up for doing it again right now

I caved in and upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro.

Eh... I made a mistake of updating my Intel NIC (Gigabit CT) drivers from the Intel website. Apparently the new version did something to NETIO.SYS because that file kept causing bluescreens. Everything else was fine before I did that. I ended up doing the "Refresh installation" from the Windows 8 ISO (on a USB stick) and everything now seems to be working better. I just have to reinstall everything. Lol.

So, tip of the day: Don't update your network drivers from Intel unless you absolutely have to.

try the automated Intel scan download thing. I it give you exactly the right driver for your machine

Upgrade install over my existing W7 install went smooth as could be. Ymmv so make sure you backup first.

I had the same experience upgrading my wife's PC. Only thing I had to do was uninstall microsoft security essentials.

They list only OEM's for sale right now. Any word on a full retail package?

try the automated Intel scan download thing. I it give you exactly the right driver for your machine

Actually in some situations right now it's not because it thinks 8 is 7. Use it as a guide to what drivers you need, but double check that it's the latest driver. It chose the wrong one for the HD3000 and Centrino drivers for my laptop.

There will be no full Retail package, only OEM.

Yeah, which sucks honestly.

According to what I've read online, Microsoft is expecting the majority of consumers (normal, non-[H] users) to be going the upgrade path. They aren't going to expect many to do a clean install of their computers from regular consumers.

And, if they are going to do a clean install of their computers, they expect those to be users who know how to do it and what they're doing, hence no support from Microsoft. Usually these will be individual system builders, businesses and OEM PC companies that provide their own support. The rest will be enterprise or volume licensees.

I will not be surprised this will be carried forward to Windows 9 and beyond:
  • Upgrade licensing for less than $100.
  • OEM licensing for $100 or $150.
  • Enterprise/volume licensing
----------------------------------------------------------

As for my final assessment on upgrading from Win 7 to 8: Aside from driver snafu mentioned above, it's been smoother of a transition than going from Windows 98 to Windows XP, or Win XP to Vista, and from Vista to Win 7. It's probably the cleanest upgrade I've done with the lowest number of serious issues than other Windows operating systems.

call me old school but no way in hell i would do an "upgrade", clean install only, yes you lose it all and have to install everything again but... no way, new OS means clean install, no other choice, the end. :mad:

call me old school but no way in hell i would do an "upgrade", clean install only, yes you lose it all and have to install everything again but... no way, new OS means clean install, no other choice, the end. :mad:

I'd prefer it that way, too.

But, will do a clean install when I do another system upgrade.

I think the only time I ever used an "upgrade" was 95 to 98 or 98 to 98se, I can't remember. After that I've always been a "clean install" guy. I still think clean install is the way to go, but I am considering the upgrade route currently for a few reasons.

#1. I just built my current rig about 2 weeks ago & of course just did a clean install of Win 7 x64 Pro.

#2. Not sure I want to hassle with doing a clean install with the upgrade & potentially having Authenticate issues. Not that I can't fix it, but I have plenty to do without "extra" work.

#3. Re-installing all my games, programs, drivers, blah, blah, blah.

#4. Reason #2 & 3 while also trying to learn how to navigate Win8. I messed with the trail for a very brief amount of time & I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about the new way of Win8.

#5. My weekend is looking to be busy on top of the aforementioned reasons.

But! The thought of "upgrading" still irks me. With a clean install its like having a brand new desk. The upgrade gives me the impression I had a cut that scabbed over, it healed & the scab is still there dangling, useless & dead. :D

So I stupidly upgraded my Win 8 RC to RTM on my test HDD instead of just installing it on my SSD fresh. Anyone know if I'm going to have to jump through hoops to use the key again on another drive?

So I stupidly upgraded my Win 8 RC to RTM on my test HDD instead of just installing it on my SSD fresh. Anyone know if I'm going to have to jump through hoops to use the key again on another drive?

You should be fine when all other hardware is the same. I didn't have any trouble installing Win 7 (same key) on totally different hardware.

Back