Tech News No One Cares About

HardOCP News

[H] News
We are starting off today's installment of TNNOCA with news that Disney bought LucasArts for over $4B. Say hello to more Star Wars movies and Mickey - Yoda crossovers. Next up, the devastating news that Apple is delaying iTunes 11. Oh no, what will we do now? Also, while we are talking about Apple, it seems that the lack of an apology will get you forced out of the company after 15 years. No worries, no one liked that guy anyway. Speaking of not being liked, Activision is laying off more people. Hey, did you know Wikipedia is almost done? Wait. Done with what? Finally, the science behind how much caffeine it takes to kill you. Come to think of it, some of you might actually care about that last one.

I am sorry ... I went into brainlock when they said Episode VII :D

God Damn it. Why don't you people listen? Disney owns Marvel. Nothings been fucked up so far. Nuff said.

God Damn it. Why don't you people listen? Disney owns Marvel. Nothings been fucked up so far. Nuff said.

Agreed and there is no way anyone could write worse dialog than George Lucas. If there half as good as any of the marvel movies it will be OK.

Yeah, as long as Lucas doesn't hold any creative input episode 7 might be good... wonder which direction they'll go. Grand Admiral Thrawn was one cool mofo... although don't know that it would make for a good screen adaptation.

Then again Disney owns Marvel, but lets Marvel do what they want. If they do the same with LucasFilm, unless George no longer works there it might be bad.

Actually I am very much looking forward to this ... I just finished listening to the Thrawn Trilogy audiobooks a couple of months back (they are quite good by the way) ... they released them all in unabridged form for the anniversary ... since they had to license them for that they might be ripe for the licensing to make them into movies too :D

Apple fires exec for not apologizing?

Who gets fired for not apologizing to Samsung?

Also, while we are talking about Apple, it seems that the lack of an apology will get you forced out of the company after 15 years. No worries, no one liked that guy anyway.

Well, Maps probably couldn't locate his desk, or the pen on it, to sign the apology*.

spent 2 neural cycles thinking that one up!

You really think nobody here would care about the Star Wars tidbit? Really?

Star Wars movies came out in like the 1960's. Hardly anyone who was alive as an adult then then is still alive now. It's pretty an aging fandom and it might hang on for a little while longer, but most people are forgetting that it existed in the same way we don't remember Mr. Cartwright from Bonanza or what the name of Mister Ed's human owner was without going to do like a Google search.

Star Wars movies came out in like the 1960's. Hardly anyone who was alive as an adult then then is still alive now. It's pretty an aging fandom and it might hang on for a little while longer, but most people are forgetting that it existed in the same way we don't remember Mr. Cartwright from Bonanza or what the name of Mister Ed's human owner was without going to do like a Google search.

60's?

You got them bootlegs?

Lucas blew it when he decided not to do the next trilogy right after the first,and follow the original characters as they rebuilt the Republic. Making us wait decades for trilogy that told a story we all already knew was a dumb idea,especially when it could only end badly and the main character was so unlikeable. If Disney wants the new movies to succeed,I think Lucas should have as little to do with them as possible.

Yeah, but Star Wars is broken and needs to be fixed. And unfortunately the state where Lucas lead Star Wars was for the most part Historic Disney. Aside from heavy shooting scenes the last 3 1/2 movies smack of Disney. Ewoks were classic Disney. It was all downhill from there. Episode III was Dark, but if Lucas didn't do that, it would have all been over right there.

Although I welcome the change in ownership, confidence level is not high. I guess it depends if whoever takes was raised on the first movies or final movies.

BTW, Han shot first.

Didn't expect Star Wars would have another movie coming out. Lets see how LucasFilms will go now since Disney acquired it.

Actually with the CN Clone Wars series, which incidentally is better imo that Episodes I-III, there is a whole new generation of SW fans being groomed.

Didn't expect Star Wars would have another movie coming out. Lets see how LucasFilms will go now since Disney acquired it.

Pixar has done well under Disney's ownership ... I think LucasFilms probably has enough talent to do equally well ... Disney is actually a fairly astute business and I think this purchase will only benefit the Star Wars franchise :)

My biggest question is what storyline will the new Disney-Lucasfilm follow? The EU? Step beyond the EU (140+ years after A New Hope)? Make up an entire new continuity starting after Return of the Jedi?

Actually with the CN Clone Wars series, which incidentally is better imo that Episodes I-III, there is a whole new generation of SW fans being groomed.

I guess why not? It's an ancient sci-fi thing, but if it can make money from people, there's no reason not to keep doing it. I guess Disney must think it's worth more than what they paid to buy all the rights to it. :)

I guess why not? It's an ancient sci-fi thing, but if it can make money from people, there's no reason not to keep doing it. I guess Disney must think it's worth more than what they paid to buy all the rights to it. :)

Remember they didn't just get LucasFilms but ILM also ... since lots of folks farmed special effects out to Industrial Light and Magic (including Disney) they could make some money back that way as well ... I think they also own ALL the franchise rights for Star Wars, not just for movies, so they will make money off of the books, comics, toys, games, and other items :cool:

Remember they didn't just get LucasFilms but ILM also ... since lots of folks farmed special effects out to Industrial Light and Magic (including Disney) they could make some money back that way as well ... I think they also own ALL the franchise rights for Star Wars, not just for movies, so they will make money off of the books, comics, toys, games, and other items :cool:

That's true, I didn't even think about the special effects stuff. Though, they do have to keep pushing Star Wars through media like movies and cartoons so society stays aware enough to want other products marketed at them. I hope the make lots of monies from it and make another Aristocats movie with the extra profits.

That's true, I didn't even think about the special effects stuff. Though, they do have to keep pushing Star Wars through media like movies and cartoons so society stays aware enough to want other products marketed at them. I hope the make lots of monies from it and make another Aristocats movie with the extra profits.

Well, now they can combine these two valuable franchises ... we can get the Kitten Wars ... The Cats Strike Back ... The Catbox Menace ... We could have Darth Tabby ... the possibilities are endless :p

Well, now they can combine these two valuable franchises ... we can get the Kitten Wars ... The Cats Strike Back ... The Catbox Menace ... We could have Darth Tabby ... the possibilities are endless :p

I'm not sure. They'd have to take a lot of the same creative liberties that were taken with the latest My Little Pony cartoon series in order to make it interesting since cats pretty much just sleep or bit your knee until you leave the chair so they can then sleep or eat so they don't feel hungry and can sleep.

The whole Clone Wars thing is what finished me with Star Wars,how long can they milk the same dead cow?

i know right. pretty much sums up everything i need to know about him hahaha

star wars is the biggest franchise of all time. my nephew is 5 and he is obsessed. and he was before he even saw the clone wars.

even the adults i know that watch the clone wars say its good

Is now convinced SkribbleKat is a 16 yr old girl.

Obviously wasn't even sperm when they came out. 77,80,83 then 99,02,05 OK not the sixties that would have been trek 1966. Is there a minimum age limit here?

Lol, sure seems like it.

Star Wars was and still is amazing. Hopefully this merger takes it a better direction than a lot of previous endeavors. I'm not sure if the problem previously was Lucas having too much involvement or not enough, but whichever it was I hope they correct it.

Lol, sure seems like it.

Star Wars was and still is amazing. Hopefully this merger takes it a better direction than a lot of previous endeavors. I'm not sure if the problem previously was Lucas having too much involvement or not enough, but whichever it was I hope they correct it.

poor georgie boy.

part of the problem too is like classics like that and this goes for all things cause it happens to games too COUGH (DIABLO 3) people hold the older things in this nostalgic pedestal that is untouchable, any new additions just get ripped to shreds.

I just hope they don't do a remake or even worse a reboot.

I just hope they don't do a remake or even worse a reboot.

my guess is a brand new story line entirely. cause vader is dead and he is the main focus of the first 6 movies. that story is over and idk if you have seen pictures of mark hamill but we do not want to see him in a new star wars movie.

Back