Yahoo to Ignore ‘Do Not Track’ on Internet Explorer 10

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Yahoo has made it clear that it will ignore the DNT signal from IE 10 because the company feels since Microsoft has the feature turned on by default, it does not reflect the true intentions of Yahoo users.

But advertisers aren't the only ones who think Microsoft has gone too far. The W3C itself has recommended that any DNT standard should be opt-in.

I thought Yahoo was limited to users who wouldn't understand what a DNT is in the first place.

I thought Yahoo was limited to users who wouldn't understand what a DNT is in the first place.

Well considering how powerful Google has become, maybe we should worry less about Yahoo and more about Google. It's not like anyone uses Yahoo's search engine or a 'Yahoo browser' like people do for Mr. Googs

This DNT option is like asking a mugger to kindly not take your wallet.

it does not reflect the true intentions of Yahoo users.
Been having an argument with some locals about the phone service who had recently begun to block unsolicited calls (those ones that get through even though you're on the national DNC list) and they turned this on by default, and someone was arguing that it shouldn't be on be default due to it possibly being an "invisible loss of service" either way.. fuck them...

onto the topic, I doubt they'd honor it if it was off be default. I think cookies are turned on by default aren't they? how do they know that reflects the true intentions of the users?

So Yahoo is going to ignore DNT in IE10 which means, for the moment, ignoring what Windows 8 users who visit Yahoo leave on by default. So that means that what, Yahoo will be tracking maybe Heatlesssun and the two or three other people who use Windows 8 that happen to also visit Yahoo's site?

There should be an option to punch company lawyers and execs that make this crap up in the face. Then they can have absolutely no doubt what your true intentions are.

LOL..... that's hilarious. They feel that DNT being turned on by default is not what their users would want, so they decide to take away the choice entirely?

This entire DNT thing is stupid because the technology doesn't do anything. Requesting that advertisers don't track you is as toothless as requesting that a lion not eat the water buffalo that it just took down.

They just hired the Google girl as CEO. What did you expect?

AdBlock, NoScript, etc, etc. It's up to you. Can't trust them.

So Yahoo is going to ignore DNT in IE10 which means, for the moment, ignoring what Windows 8 users who visit Yahoo leave on by default. So that means that what, Yahoo will be tracking maybe Heatlesssun and the two or three other people who use Windows 8 that happen to also visit Yahoo's site?

He uses Windows 8 AND Yahoo? Why would anyone do that!? :D

/golf clap.

I'm sure he's a loyal and faithful Bing user.

I just got a W8 hybrid. Lol and actually based on the salesman, there were really not that many people interested and hyped about W8 and specifically not the more expensive hybrids.

LOL that is pure gold! :p:p:p

LOL..... that's hilarious. They feel that DNT being turned on by default is not what their users would want, so they decide to take away the choice entirely?

It's funny how obnoxious and disrespectful their decision is when you remove the sugar coating like that. :p

This does demonstrate the futility of DNT though, as others have said. IE enabling it by default is a nice gesture from Microsoft, but it's not going to help the problem in the practical sense. Super-D hit the nail on the head with the mugger analogy.

I'm looking forward to the day when browsers block third party cookies by default, routinely delete first-party cookies for websites where users have no current logins or stored passwords, give out randomized User Agents (etc.) that differ on every visit, spoof randomized MAC addresses, and at the very least blacklist scripts and ads from known data-miners by default. Ultimately, the solution is to make browsers as tight-lipped as practical by default.

Insanely jealous. I've been bucking the internet mob with unpopular truths for so long, and no one cares. sigh.

I think that's part of the problem. You need to be more inventive with these "truths" you're sharing. In fact, if you're like me, you can start your own blog which you can use to post made up stuff that you can link back to in order to seem more credible. ^ ^

I suppose you're a devil I can relate to. Nobody ever listens to me either.

I'm sorry, I missed that because I was thinking about which pair of socks I wanted to wear today. Can you say it again?

Oh that's OK, Skribbel. I've already made up my mind to just rest on my perch and watch the world burn. Then people might be able to relate to me for a change while they're screaming in agony as their flesh crisps and peels off their bones.

Oh that's OK, Skribbel. I've already made up my mind to just rest on my perch and watch the world burn. Then people might be able to relate to me for a change while they're screaming in agony as their flesh crisps and peels off their bones.

Wouldn't the smell be sort of bad if that happens?

Back