Social Engineering Scam Of The Day

Too funny ... if you fall for that you deserve whatever happens to you :D

I think they got to spell it like that because microsoft blacklisted the real words to use.

Well, at least they aren't trying to get me to enlarge my penis.....

Ok I sen't my account and password.
Now what?

Should I also send my CC info?

Agreed, they would not do this stuff unless people were dumb enough to fall for it. :(

Unfortunately too true ... I still see the occasional story on the news of someone who sent that poor unfortunate Nigerian Prince their bank account info so he could wire his money safely out of his country ... after all these years you would think folks would have heard that one by now :eek:

at least I don't get the classic email anymore that everyone was forwarding around so MS could track it and give us all a trip to Disney World ... especially since most put the ridiculous caveat on it of "I am sure this isn't real but I am forwarding it just in case" :rolleyes:

:cool:

What's terrifying is the number of idiots that will reepley to it!

I remember reading an article on these types of scams (including the Nigerian prince ones).

The point of the scam IS to make it as absurdly stupid as possible. They intentionally make it far out. The reason being that since they cast such a large net, they can't possibly follow up on all of those leads. It also takes time and effort for each lead. So, they artificially pull that number down. They do this by making it unbelievable. The end result is that fewer people fall for it, BUT the people who do are the most gullible, and are the ones they can milk the most money out of.

So it looks stupid, but might actually be smart.

Just world fallacy, we meet again.

The world is incredibly unjust sometimes, however, it is sometimes appropriate (if not just) for a stupid action to result in penalties ... in general though I have always liked the philosophy in a quote from Babylon 5, " I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe. " :D

Social engineering scam of the day? Look it's August 14th, 2011 all over again. Send in a dumb message recieved over a year ago for front page news article.

Yeah it sucks that people try to pull this stuff. But you gotta be careful.

I was a victim back when D2 came out, granted I was much younger then and didn't understand computers at all. Had the game maybe a week?

I realized seconds after I had given out my password what I had just done, and promptly turned off my computer to avert the hackers.

Apparently that didn't work.

It's funny looking back at it now.

Looks legit to me, after all a Modiator sent it...

that said grading my students homework (and they are in college) I would suspect easily half the class would read through that and see it as real.

I remember reading an article on these types of scams (including the Nigerian prince ones).

...The end result is that fewer people fall for it, BUT the people who do are the most gullible, and are the ones they can milk the most money out of.

Those that do fall for the scam not only are gullible, but also isolated since no friends or family stopped them. They are also less likely to have the resources to come after the perpetrators of these scams, so they are safe marks.

Too many people are multitasking and just not paying enough attention. It used to be porm websites were the worst, now facebook is. The point is that you are hooked on the content and trusting it, or ignoring the risks.

The simple way to avoid these is to just run spell check, or pay attention to it. These nearly always have misspellings. Any official message will almost certainly be spell-checked.

_fOtU8PFlU6j0q3_xCgY_g2.gif

Mybe if U was not soo goot at the speeling? I tok goot soo I not be fool.

Back