This Is Apple Court Ordered Apology To Samsung?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a feeling the courts aren't going to look too kindly on this so-called apology that consists of a two sentence apology and four paragraphs of why-Samsung-is-an-infringing-scumbag-rip-off-company. Stay classy Apple. :rolleyes:

However, in a case tried in Germany regarding the same patent, the court found that Samsung engaged in unfair competition by copying the iPad design. A U.S. jury also found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's design and utility patents, awarding over one billion U.S. dollars in damages to Apple Inc. So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad.

Then again, I guess it does meet the judges' requirements for an apology...so who knows.

Even if it meets the requirements, it's still an equivalent to "I'm sorry ... your wrong." Which is one of the ultimate douchebag moves out there. On pay with Kanye's "I'm sorry Taylor..."

Ummm...I just read the judgement in the link and I don't know if its just me or not...but I don't even see anything that remotely could be considered a apology in anyway shape or form.

All it basically says is that Samsung is guilty and are scumbags with no apology even being attempted.

When doing weird legal stuff like "i'm going to sue you, so that you have to apologize!" you introduce a lot of ambiguity into the process that's not normally present. If samsung wanted an apology of a specific nature, they need to have specified what that apology required and its definition as well as repercussions for not meeting samsungs or the courts subjective interpretation of what a proper apology is.

I haven't reviewed any of the case, but my guess is that the judge/magistrate said something like: "you must publicly apologize to samsung, case closed." With no definition of an apology stated, and no mention of repercussions for failure. That said, apple took liberties with meeting the definition of an apology, which is define by Miriam-Webster as:

a : a formal justification : defense
b : excuse
: an admission of error or discourtesy accompanied by an expression of regret <a public apology>
: a poor substitute : makeshift

My assumption is that they used a combination of interpretations 1 and 3. :)

This judge needs to slap a huge fine on Apple for contempt of court.

It's funny how Samsung copies Apple in pretty much everything it does these days, yet Apple, an American company, is hated by Americans, that also hate foreign companies taking American jobs and money.

Apple may well not be the morally greatest company in the world, but at least it does employ people from America and Europe, unlike companies like Samsung, who keep 100% of their money in their home country.

Ummm...I just read the judgement in the link and I don't know if its just me or not...but I don't even see anything that remotely could be considered a apology in anyway shape or form.

All it basically says is that Samsung is guilty and are scumbags with no apology even being attempted.

It's not just you. I read it three times trying to find the apology. It's just a summary of events.

I'm honestly in shock by that document. I double checked the url to see if it was actually from Apple lol. I can't believe the balls on these guys. I agree that they need a fine for that. Outrageous.

Sad thing is the Apple lovers will be in support of their defiance and clear douchebaggery.

Given that 50% of smartphone US population uses apple iPhone's, the iMac is the #1 desktop, and while everyone else's market share in desktops, laptops, tablets, etc.. are on the decline; Apple's is increasing... i'm not sure your perception that Apple is hated by Americans is accurate. I think it would be more accurate to say that Android users hate Apple, and Apple users simply think that Android users are like Met's fans...

It's funny how Samsung copies Apple in pretty much everything it does these days, yet Apple, an American company, is hated by Americans, that also hate foreign companies taking American jobs and money.

Apple may well not be the morally greatest company in the world, but at least it does employ people from America and Europe, unlike companies like Samsung, who keep 100% of their money in their home country.

lolsheeple

Protip: Samsung has thousands of employees in America. One of my friends (an American) recently got a call back from a Samsung research lab in DALLAS, TX.

I won't bother to list the laundry list of products that is wildly different from Apple's, or the entire markets in which Apple isn't even a part of but Samsung does very well.

This message was in reply to:

I think it would be more accurate to say that Android users hate Apple, and Apple users simply think that Android users are like Met's fans...

Although I really don't agree with this, that analogy is hilarious.

Given that 50% of smartphone US population uses apple iPhone's, the iMac is the #1 desktop, and while everyone else's market share in desktops, laptops, tablets, etc.. are on the decline; Apple's is increasing... i'm not sure your perception that Apple is hated by Americans is accurate. I think it would be more accurate to say that Android users hate Apple, and Apple users simply think that Android users are like Met's fans...

Got some proof on those numbers/facts because they sound like you just made them up or are assuming....

lolsheeple

Protip: Samsung has thousands of employees in America. One of my friends (an American) recently got a call back from a Samsung research lab in DALLAS, TX.

I won't bother to list the laundry list of products that is wildly different from Apple's, or the entire markets in which Apple isn't even a part of but Samsung does very well.

I don't own any Apple products, nor do I work for them.

Just an amused onlooker...

Also, the people in here that say Apple should be fined... WTF??? Are you Korean? Or are you just employed by Samsung or Google?

They should be fined because they did not adhere to the court ruling. Not sure how you apologize to people but if it's like that then you'd probably get punched in the face.

Got some proof on those numbers/facts because they sound like you just made them up or are assuming....

Last I looked it was Android 50% and Apple in the low 30's. The iMac number isn't even close.

http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Pr...June_2012_U.S._Mobile_Subscriber_Market_Share

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/10...th-13-6-share-of-u-s-pc-shipments-in-3q-2012/

Paragraph 1: "Some court in the UK said Samsung didn't infringe on our design. Here's a link.

Paragraph 2 (Single Sentence): The judge totally said the things stated below. Not us.

Paragraph 3: iPad is AWSUM!!!!1!!!one!1!!

Paragraph 4: GTab is is so TERRIBAD!!!!1!1!!!

Paragraph 5: We told another court the Judge was wrong but they still sided with Him (bastards). But it's okay because we hadn't done anything to Samsung anyways since we're obviously an awesome company.

Paragraph 6: Maybe the UK sided with you (Samsung) but we still got the Americans and Germans on our side so PPPPTTHHHHHBTBTBTBTTBTBTBBTBT *insert shameless ending iPad plug here*.

Apology? I see no apology.

Yea I was pretty sure that Android was higher than iOS. Still that analogy is hilarious minus the misinformation lol.

Also, the people in here that say Apple should be fined... WTF??? Are you Korean? Or are you just employed by Samsung or Google?

I guess you missed all of those Foxconn articles that are posted here near daily anymore. Ironically I feel like the amused on looker since you really don't understand what you're talking about.

Apple should be fined, they were ordered by a court to make an apology, unfortunately even in the world of politics this couldn't even be considered a half ass attempt.

So Samsung employs Americans, are they still evil?

So, because Apple did not overtly say "WE ARE SORRY" they did not apologize? Am I getting the right vibe here?

What I read seemed like a public acknowledgement of the UK court's and EU appeals court's decisions that apple was wrong to sue Samsung. Did no one else see this?

An apology is not just three magic words.

They should be fined because they did not adhere to the court ruling. Not sure how you apologize to people but if it's like that then you'd probably get punched in the face.

I agree with you, to some extent. However I don't think that Samsung would be falling over themselves to send a bunch of flower to Apple either.

This is what happens when 2 large companies are at war. They simply hate each other.

Typical Apple arrogance in that apology.

"I'm sorry that you were wrong and you copied us so we sued you over our vastly superior and more popular Apple brand iPad Tablet (tm).".

So, because Apple did not overtly say "WE ARE SORRY" they did not apologize? Am I getting the right vibe here?

What I read seemed like a public acknowledgement of the UK court's and EU appeals court's decisions that apple was wrong to sue Samsung. Did no one else see this?

An "I'm sorry you were wrong" or "I'm sorry they agreed with you instead of us," isn't an apology.

Please site the part of the document that has the apology.

You are a short-sighted fool.

The factories that Apple use, are they built buy Apple? Are they run by Apple? Do other companies use the same facilities?

You analogy that an American company employes mostly Americans so why are Americans so anti-Apple is flawed. As far as being a fool, must we resort to petty name calling?

You analogy that an American company employes mostly Americans so why are Americans so anti-Apple is flawed. As far as being a fool, must we resort to petty name calling?
It really is quite funny reading your posts in this thread. Much to laugh at.

The factories that Apple use, are they built buy Apple? Are they run by Apple? Do other companies use the same facilities?

Apple was just the scapegoat on that one. Foxconn is massive, they make products for damn near every electronics company (if not the main parts, at least some part comes from Foxconn). My motherboard has the Foxconn logo on it in several places (PCI connectors were made there, among other things).

I dislike Apple as a company, but pointing the finger solely at them is very wrong. They were just the ones that would get the most attention. Asus could very well have been the guilty party there, but that would just be dust under the rug. With Apple, it got international attention.

^Indeed... but I don't have a problem with Child Labor if it's something they did on their own. Since I read that news about the Chinese Government sending kids to factories to "learn" though, I guess that no longer was the case.

It's not just you. I read it three times trying to find the apology. It's just a summary of events.

It's also an incorrect summary of events. The US case explicitly found the tablets to not be infringing. As for appropriateness, some outlets say the ruling called for an apology, some just a disclaimer. Either way, I don't think a deliberate misrepresentation of at least one fact is on the list of what the court ordered.

Apologies for the name calling.

But I just can't get over how funny it is that it is blatantly obvious what Samsung, and half of the rest of the large Phone/PC makers in the world are doing.

Just look at a Samsungs' phone and tablet product line before Apple releases their product. It's pretty much the same for ultrabooks mostly being a copy of the MacBook Air.

Then look at you demanding Apple be fined because they are told to apologize to Samsung. If this was a playground fight, and the teacher grabbed the kids and told them to say sorry to each other, do you think they mean what they say when they apologize? At least Apple is being honest. Also include the fact that other courts around the world agreed that Samsung violated Apple's patents, then the "apology" is even more hard to make.

It really is quite funny reading your posts in this thread. Much to laugh at.

I'm happy that your amused. Since when does paying a contractor to do your work, when as a company you are the most successful in the tech industry, not in any way giving jobs away to someone who isn't American?

I'm not the one who tried to start the "OMG their a Korean company, it burns our patriotic pride precious!" argument.

Honestly it doesn't matter, at this point I am inclined to think that some people are just having too much fun and not really taking this conversation seriously. Either way, I'm at work, so it doesn't bother me one bit since I have no where to go. :)

Apologies for the name calling.

But I just can't get over how funny it is that it is blatantly obvious what Samsung, and half of the rest of the large Phone/PC makers in the world are doing.

Just look at a Samsungs' phone and tablet product line before Apple releases their product. It's pretty much the same for ultrabooks mostly being a copy of the MacBook Air.

Then look at you demanding Apple be fined because they are told to apologize to Samsung. If this was a playground fight, and the teacher grabbed the kids and told them to say sorry to each other, do you think they mean what they say when they apologize? At least Apple is being honest. Also include the fact that other courts around the world agreed that Samsung violated Apple's patents, then the "apology" is even more hard to make.

I honestly think the whole apology thing is silly, though I find it even more silly for the company asked to do so, to not just get it over with and put it behind them. Not all Apple users are elitist, but it's hard to not take Apple's reaction as anything but.

Honestly every tech company has copied something at this point to get where they are and probably are still doing so. I personally am not a fanboy though I love my Galaxy S3, for my car I use my iPod since it is compatible through USB with my head unit, lossless songs for the win!

Apple was just the scapegoat on that one. Foxconn is massive, they make products for damn near every electronics company (if not the main parts, at least some part comes from Foxconn). My motherboard has the Foxconn logo on it in several places (PCI connectors were made there, among other things).

I dislike Apple as a company, but pointing the finger solely at them is very wrong. They were just the ones that would get the most attention. Asus could very well have been the guilty party there, but that would just be dust under the rug. With Apple, it got international attention.

ASUS doesn't account for 85% of Foxconn's profit; Apple does.

Back