Twitter Predicting Users' Gender For Targeted Advertising

HardOCP News

[H] News
Instead of going through all this trouble trying to figure out whether you are male or female, you'd think Twitter would just use a checkbox for gender in account settings. :rolleyes:

Similar to our approach to interest targeting, we’re able to understand gender by taking public signals users offer on Twitter, such as user profile names or the accounts she or he follows. We have strong confidence in this approach. A panel of human testers has found our predictions are more than 90 percent accurate for our global audience. And where we can't predict gender reliably, we don't –– and those users won't be targetable through this feature.

As a long time veteran of MMORPG's, it's just best to assume EVERYBODY is a middle aged, overweight white guy, who likes to get off, pretending they are a little girl online.

As a long time veteran of MMORPG's, it's just best to assume EVERYBODY is a middle aged, overweight white guy, who likes to get off, pretending they are a little girl online.

That reminded me of the Bruce Willis film "Surrogates" where he was talking to the two chicks. It was like "Honey, I don't know who you are but you could be some big fat white guy at home doing who knows what"

I'm using this as an excuse next time my gf complains about me looking at pictures of bras and panties... "hun, I'm just so sensitive they figure I'm a girl and post those ads on my screen... I'm innocent I tell ya!!!"

YES! Finally someone else who at LEAST saw surrogates!

Okay, back to the topic. Don't get started on gender! I have heard rants about only have two boxes and other things. If they can get more money out of advertisers and they are happy, meh.

check box?

It is more complex than that.

A 2d space with sliders; "identifies as" on one axis and "attracted to" on the other.

That is the bare minimum. A check box is frankly offensive.

I think that might be a start for the discussions I've seen but there are also mentions of people that say they have no gender and the belief that there is a difference between the gender and sex, not the act as in the... uh.. gender.

Back