Torrent Site Webhost Ordered to Pay “Piracy” Damages

HardOCP News

[H] News
After this ruling from the Court of The Hague, you can just imagine how popular webhosting for torrent sites will be in the future. :eek:

Hollywood-backed anti-piracy outfit BREIN has won a landmark case against XS Networks, the former hosting provider of torrent site SumoTorrent. The Court of The Hague ruled that the provider is responsible for damages copyright holders suffered through the torrent site’s activities. The Dutch verdict has far-reaching implications for the liability of hosting providers for the conduct of their clients.

So let's go to the Hague to sue the New York Port Authority for all of the piracy and illegal activity that their properties "enable."

Bullshit.

They got it backwards. File sharers purchase more, so copyright holders should have to pay torrent sites.

Yeah luckily other countries already enacted rules that say you're not responsible for what others do on your property... well except if it's a civil case in which case yes the robber who slips on your floor and breaks a leg can sue you and could possibly win.

Does this mean people will be able to sue Smirnoff when some driver liquored up on vodka runs over their kid?

I could understand if they were hosting a site which directly distributed pirated content, but getting a judgment on a hosting provider for the hands-off hosting of files that merely connect users in a way that allows them to exchange pirated content among themselves?

It's a bit like suing the manufacturer of the highway you were just rear-ended on for providing an infrastructure which allowed that collision to happen. And winning.

Does this mean that Telephone companies can be sued for allow people to discuss/plan/commit crimes over their phones? Basically this court ruling is telling communications companies to spy on what their customers are doing.

There are two kinds of people I can't stand. Those who are intolerant of other cultures, and the Dutch.

This would and could all go away if all data was deemed dumb and if net neutrality was in effect. Then all host/isp providers would be dump pipe providers and absolved of any liabilities since all data is the same, which in effect it is.

Now this is something to protest and riot about not that occupy wall street crap that was going on before.

Why doesn't the world just hand over the keys to the entire internet to the RIAA/MPAA seeing as how they apparently get almost every court to agree they own it.

There are two kinds of people I can't stand. Those who are intolerant of other cultures, and the Dutch.

Well, i'm not dutch, so the first applies. Guess it's time for your hate. However, isn't your intolerance for my intolerance create self-intolerance?

Why doesn't the world just hand over the keys to the entire internet to the RIAA/MPAA seeing as how they apparently get almost every court to agree they own it.

There are amendments to the International Telecommunications Regulations that are being discussed right now and in december will probably go before a vote for all member nations that will seek to cede control and censor the internet through the UN. Also, the Eurotrash are directly responsible for this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57518427-38/eu-telcos-defend-un-internet-takeover-plans/

... You're assuming the U.S. has to be forced. The companies might, but I'm sure the government will..... be persuaded to assist.

I'd love to see a return to the days when the person who committed the crime is the one who pays the price (either money/jail/their life)

These days it seems anyone who winds up in any legal issue constantly (and successfully) it seems defers their guilt onto another party.

"See your honor, when I was about to strangle the little kid, I got rope burn on my hands, so I'm going to need 10 million dollars from the manufacturer" The fact that cases like this exist show just how F'd we are as a society.

How do they plan to force the U.S. to give up the servers?

where in any of it is US involved, the servers were owned by XS, the company fined was dutch.

----

Personally, I'm glad by this ruling and the precedent it starts. Nothing galls me more on the internet then watching companies profit from piracy & theft, then turn around and try saying Oh I didn't know that was happening.

Wouldn't this judgement mean the post office and ports in the country are responsible for bootlegs and such?

That was in reference to the post above that one about the UN taking total conteol of the internet.

Personally, I'm glad by this ruling and the precedent it starts. Nothing galls me more on the internet then watching companies profit from piracy & theft, then turn around and try saying Oh I didn't know that was happening.

So basically you want communications companies to spy on every packet sent across its network?

What about cell phone companies, do they need to listen in on every call and make sure that people are having "legal" conversations?

Back