Video Games Industry To Join 3 Strikes Anti-Piracy Scheme

HardOCP News

[H] News
So, if it is movies or music, you get six strikes. If it's video games you only get three strikes?

While “three strikes” or graduated response-style schemes continue to spread, it is the mainstream music and movie industries that are the main beneficiaries of any supposed benefits. To date, makers of other digital products have been left to fend for themselves but if developments in France carry through, that will no longer be the case. According to the country’s Hadopi anti-piracy agency, in 2013 individuals sharing video games online could also be subjected to warnings and punishment.

Someone tell me how this is different from what they were doing before? I thought they already sent out notices if you were caught? Are they monitoring downloading + uploading now? Wouldn't a hardware/router firewall prevent them from finding out what you're download anyways?

Someone tell me how this is different from what they were doing before? I thought they already sent out notices if you were caught? Are they monitoring downloading + uploading now? Wouldn't a hardware/router firewall prevent them from finding out what you're download anyways?

Not sure what a firewall/router has anything to do with it. However if you run on a vpn, there is noway they can tell what you are doing. That is the point of a vpn.

Of course I have no idea why anybody torrents anything anymore. The risk is great with minimal reward. I'm curious if this is just for going after the remaining file sharers or if they are going after people who d/l stuff from usenet, or file hosting sites. I'm not sure if there is a robust way for them to monitor downloads, but what do I know.

Right. I'm sure ISP's will enforce this as well :rolleyes:

The industry can make all the "rules" it wants , unless its not a huge waste of time for the ISP's to play "good cop" then they have no interest in doing so when their is profit to be made.

With some of this stuff, if you get rid of the pirates, you lose your whole audience. Nobody buys the shit, even pirates get it just to have - not to watch or listen to.

You know what stats I want to see? Poor sales and poor piracy numbers. Really shitty material (games, movies, music). So bad even pirates don't want to touch it!

any game i like i'll buy off steam. But if i'm not sure about a game or its not on steam, i'll download it first. This has sometimes caused problems when i haven't been able to transfer my save games like with dark souls, but for me i feel like its still a necessary measure. I'm willing to pay for any content that is worthwhile, but at a worthwhile price. Games fall into this category more than holywood movies and thus spend far more on games than movies.

I'd be more inclined to agree with these so called strike laws if there was a better more comprehensive way to preview content than trailers and the very occasional demo. But, as it stands, if there were harsher penalties for piracy, i would simply buy far less content than i do now. I'd only pay for those 'sure things', such as borderlands 2, even if it meant missing out on some truly awesome games like dark souls, which i certainly wouldn't've bought if it came down to what my pre-play notion of the game was.

Not sure what a firewall/router has anything to do with it. However if you run on a vpn, there is noway they can tell what you are doing. That is the point of a vpn.

Of course I have no idea why anybody torrents anything anymore. The risk is great with minimal reward. I'm curious if this is just for going after the remaining file sharers or if they are going after people who d/l stuff from usenet, or file hosting sites. I'm not sure if there is a robust way for them to monitor downloads, but what do I know.
Will that eazy Linux DVD and there are min Real 100% Free Games like Black Mesa and min Moives like Pioneer One.

"video games industry" yeah, as if that includes every single person who makes video games. You don't need to be part of a club to make a video game. This kind of blanket shit is sensationalist.

ISP's do not want to kick a bunch of their costumers off their service I would think, though it sounds like they are going to annoy the krap out of them.

Of course I have no idea why anybody torrents anything anymore. The risk is great with minimal reward.

Between torrent and file hosting sites, torrent is still more reliable because no one can delete the content. As long as there are people seeding it, you're good to go.

Downloading from file hosting requires you to be able to download all parts, even if one part is removed for any reason, you need to look elsewhere. I believe file hosting sites are quick in taking down popular content too such as Windows or newly released games.

No they aren't. Archives are renamed to something unrecognizable and have passwords. Sure file hosting sites can try to take em down but like a hydra one link is taken down, another surfaces soon after.

The world needs to realize that they will NEVER stop it. You can stuff the pockets of every politician in town with money to make sharing content a criminal offense. Have fun with that. They also need to realize that pirates are the people who spend the most on music, games, movies and are a incredibly powerful and free advertising source of their content. But like always, the typical MBA graduate dolt was not taught nor has the capacity to realize this.

ISP's do not want to kick a bunch of their costumers off their service I would think, though it sounds like they are going to annoy the krap out of them.

They won't even do that. It just isn't within the interest of ISP's to cancel service on something they can charge $60+ for along with TV service and everything else.

I know plenty of people paying over $200 a money for TV/Internet happily , no business in its right mind would want to stop those kinds of numbers period.

Forgot to mention Kim Dotcom is going to launch the successor to Megaupload, called Mega.

The system is pretty brilliant. Files uploaded to the hosting site will be automatically encrypted and a key given to the user. Mega is protected under DMCA safe harbors because they will have no idea what the contents of the files are. You can connect the dots with my previous post.

With some of this stuff, if you get rid of the pirates, you lose your whole audience. Nobody buys the shit, even pirates get it just to have - not to watch or listen to.

You know what stats I want to see? Poor sales and poor piracy numbers. Really shitty material (games, movies, music). So bad even pirates don't want to touch it!

Amen to this.

Back