Win 8 Speedstep with OC Not Working

celltech

n00b
Anyone running Win 8 yet with all Speedstep/EIST/C1E stuff enabled?

My MSI P67A-G45 board with i5-2500K is refusing to throttle down if I attempt any overclock. Win 7 worked fine and it would always pull back to 1.6GHz as expected.

My current OC is 4.2GHz with no voltage changes. Yeah, I know, a real wuss OC for you guys. But it used to work fine.

The weird thing is I can set the multi to 33 in the bios, get into Win 8 and then raise the multi with the MSI Control Center. Speedstep continues to work fine. It's almost like Win 8 does not like the initial mismatch between what is being reported and the actual speed?

Dunno but I'll be throwing it on my P67A-GD55 soon so I guess I'll find out! Hopefully there's a workaround, my 2500K's gonna roast in the summer if it's running at 4.7-4.8 24/7.

Anyone running Win 8 yet with all Speedstep/EIST/C1E stuff enabled?

My MSI P67A-G45 board with i5-2500K is refusing to throttle down if I attempt any overclock. Win 7 worked fine and it would always pull back to 1.6GHz as expected.

My current OC is 4.2GHz with no voltage changes. Yeah, I know, a real wuss OC for you guys. But it used to work fine.

The weird thing is I can set the multi to 33 in the bios, get into Win 8 and then raise the multi with the MSI Control Center. Speedstep continues to work fine. It's almost like Win 8 does not like the initial mismatch between what is being reported and the actual speed?

I just installed Windows 8 last night on my PC with a MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) with the BIOS set to its default settings (EIST enabled, C1E enabled) with a mild overclock like yourself of 4.2 GHz. It is doing what it should, gives me 4.2 GHz with a load and then back down to 1.6 Ghz with no load.

I haven't had any issues so far...

when i get my windows 8 ill let you know what happens with mine. i have a z77-GD65

Go into the BIOS, Green settings, then make sure C-states are enabled. Anytime you adjust the multiplier to overclock on these boards it disables C-states.

If that doesn't fix it, I will see what else I can dig up. I have the same board.

Last edited:
Maybe check the power plan that is active (if Win 8 still has those). If it is set to high performance, that could be why.

Update:

My P67A-45 is doing the same thing the OP's board is doing, and C-States are enabled. Ack!

Windows 8 does a lot of stuff with parking apps and such. Go into the power configuration and make sure there are no weird CPU settings.

i5-2500k OC'ed to 4.5ghz on an Asus P8Z68-V/Gen-3 and throttling is behaving as expected on RTM.

I ended up getting a new Samsung 830 256Gb SSD and doing a clean install. After I got into Win 8 the first time it seemed to be working fine. Then I started adding patches and programs. I fired up Task Manager and noticed it was not throttling down so I pulled the patches out and it did nothing.

I said F it and just kept installing all my crap again. Honestly, I am liking Win 8 and understand/get Metro and what it brings to the table. And the desktop system tools are much better than Win 7. I only OC because I use Lightroom a lot and it can max out a CPU. I am not willing to give up the extra speed. At least it is still pulling the vcore back (from what CPU-Z shows) when nothing is going on.

I can only hope this will get noticed and M$ will cough up a fix in the future...

Quick question fellas...p67gd65 board here...I am waiting on a new ssd, and will be upgrading my gaming rig to windows 8...I look on MSI's site for windows 8 drivers and I see a few windows 8 drivers. I do not see a new windows 8 intel rapid storage tech driver, only the older windows 7. Did u guys install the older one or did u get it fron intels website or did u not install it? Thanks

Quick question fellas...p67gd65 board here...I am waiting on a new ssd, and will be upgrading my gaming rig to windows 8...I look on MSI's site for windows 8 drivers and I see a few windows 8 drivers. I do not see a new windows 8 intel rapid storage tech driver, only the older windows 7. Did u guys install the older one or did u get it fron intels website or did u not install it? Thanks

P67A GD65 here also...I downloaded the Intel RST from the Intel site, http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST) , version 11.​6.​0.​1030 which will work with 8.

Back