Six-Strikes “Independent Expert” Is RIAA’s Former Lobbying Firm

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you want to get all technical, I guess these guys are "independent" and, with all that lobbying they did for the RIAA...they are certainly "experts." :rolleyes:

Next month the file-sharing habits of millions of BitTorrent users in the United States will be monitored as part of an agreement between the MPAA, RIAA, and all the major ISPs. To guarantee the accuracy of the evidence that will be used for the accusations the parties agreed to hire an impartial and independent technology expert. However, their commitment to this promise is now in doubt as the hired experts have turned out to be a former RIAA lobbying group.

Connecting to someone's computer for the purpose of identifying what files they are sharing for prosecution is a violation of the computer fraud and abuse act.

Us tech guys see these and think 'Just another blunder by the RIAA/MPAA" However I never seem to read about any thing on major media sites pointing out these blunders. I never see courts deciding against RIAA/MPAA based on these blunders. To me, that seems like a major issue.

Kind of reminds me when the White House dictates energy policy for the country and has a meeting with the CEOs of all the major oil companies to help decide...

Kind of reminds me when the White House dictates energy policy for the country and has a meeting with the CEOs of all the major oil companies to help decide...

While I doubt that they are doing anything good for us, it somehow doesn't bother me as much when the White House talks to energy companies about energy policy. Who SHOULD they be talking to - Toys R Us?

"Sixth strike..." what's up with that ?

Why not one strike, I mean, can you go shoplifting 5 times without getting charged, or kill 5 people....

"Sixth strike..." what's up with that ?

Why not one strike, I mean, can you go shoplifting 5 times without getting charged, or kill 5 people....

It's not as simple as "shop lifting". It's more like going to a store, finding what you want, creating an exact duplicate of that item and leaving with that.

Haw

No wonder the ISP's didn't back this in July, RIAA/MPAA pulling their same shit again and they wouldn't stand for it then, they won't stand for it now

hahahahahahahaha

Since this got leaked, the monitoring group of former RIAA/MPAA experts have completely cut off contact with -ALL- media, repeat, -ALL- media, they've even gone so far to disconnect their phones.

Fuck I love politics, get caught, FUCKING HIDE AND HOPE IT BLOWS OVER!!!

It's not as simple as "shop lifting". It's more like going to a store, finding what you want, creating an exact duplicate of that item and leaving with that.

More like going to an art store and taking pictures of the pictures.

While I doubt that they are doing anything good for us, it somehow doesn't bother me as much when the White House talks to energy companies about energy policy. Who SHOULD they be talking to - Toys R Us?

They should be talking to different types of energy companies. Not just one domain because that influences our policies specifically towards that type of energy.

Let's just get this dead horse out of the way, shall we?

1. It is wrong to obtain music/movies/images/books/software/fonts without due consideration to those in legal ownership of the aforementioned items' copyrights and in the medium in which they supply.
2. It is illegal to distribute music/movies/images/books/software/fonts without permission from the copyright owners.
3. It is wrong and illegal for the copyright owners to attempt to spy on citizens' personal computers and internet traffic in the attempt to curtail the reception of their copyrighted materials and the illegal distribution of it.

Copyright owners are idiots for pursuing people in this manner when most have already gone to VPNs or proxy services already. They are idiots for blowing numbers out of proportion--a pirated copy of software or a game doesn't mean a lost sale. A download of a movie doesn't mean an extra DVD or BD sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

If they didn't vilify themselves by trying to become a big brother iron fist and instead embrace the change in technology, they'd never be in such a position. They have driven more people to piracy than would normally engage in such activity; the tighter you squeeze, the more slip through your fingers.

They should go talk to Stardock and GOG.

Ok there. That should cover at least a few beatings.

Great ... and let's hire Neo-Nazi's to evaluate human rights issues :rolleyes:
Relevand XKCD. (There is always a relevant XKCD)

Back