Here's Why Google Could Disappear in Five Years

Can't predict the future, companies go out of business all the time (even large ones)

I think I have maybe used Yahoo 2-5 times to search for something in the last 15 years of working computers. They never were "the king".

The article is just a garbage way to "explain" their drop in earnings. This is total bullshit and speculation "could" is not solid in any fashion at all. Furthermore, they compare Yahoo to Google. The article plots Google's possible demise to that of what has been happening to Yahoo. Problem is, the only product I've found to be worthwhile to come out of Yahoo has been Zimbra, and well they don't have that any more.

If you instead look at Google, they have so much more to their business that is successful. They throw away better ideas than Yahoo ever had.

This article is a joke, and just trying to stir the pot about Google's stock. Not journalism.

Can't predict the future, companies go out of business all the time (even large ones)

Hell, CNBC has repeatedly shown that their talkers/hosts etc are about as good at predicting the future as an emu.

I think of Yahoo as a Portal/homepage and google as a search tool. Nobody uses yahoo for search anymore but I still go to Yahoo.com every single day.

You know ... this is what is wrong with society ... we give all the best drugs and alcohol to our reporters before they write stupid stories ... even Yahoo is still in business (primarily because of their email) ... Google has more depth than that ... they might not become the next IBM but they won't go out of business either ;)

Hell, CNBC has repeatedly shown that their talkers/hosts etc are about as good at predicting the future as an emu.

That sounds to be about as accurate as any host or analyst on all the broadcast channels.

I mean, does anyone seriously listen to analysts?

Well I agree its possible but I don't make the same comparison. Yahoo for the most part didn't branch out IMO nearly as much as Google has.

Google has a web browser, mobile OS, and plethora of web service that get used quite a bit.

It is possible for google to be gone but I don't see it happening within 10 years. Yahoo was the king IMO in the late 90s into the early 2000s. But now I only use Yahoo for fantasy sports during football season.

prepared by ANALists who by looking at quarterly earning predict the future! Who needs to know anything about the industry... google, bing, yahoo its all the same :rolleyes: Makes you question the rest of their predictions in other industries....

Wow, this is so ensightful! I will now go post a reply about this on my Yahoo phone or tablet...

Hey, wait! Yahoo doesn't have any of that!

What a shit article. Yes, their revenues are down, but people still need a search engine. Yahoo died because it was out-competed. Who is going to out-compete Google? Bing? Duckduckgo? HAR.

What a shit article. Yes, their revenues are down, but people still need a search engine. Yahoo died because it was out-competed. Who is going to out-compete Google? Bing? Duckduckgo? HAR.

This. :cool:

There's no chance. They've done it right this long & will continue to only get better. They have implemented the security that I want in a company, and I will have no reason to jump shit in the near future. My entire online presence is with Google. It's not going to change.

According to Microsoft, Bing is already out-competing Google with regards to search quality.

The problem is: people Google things. People don't Bing things. People don't search things, either. Until that changes, Google's going to hold the throne on search.

I don't understand why everyone gets so butthurt when someone says Google will die. I certainly hope they decrease their share and go lower as they are getting WAY too cocky and out of their initial POV about the internet, its freedom and what not. I think it is time for new players to jump in and balance things, this is always required to keep a balance on things, having someone overtake a whole market by such a big margin is NEVER any good.

I only use Google to search and I still do not understand why everyone is so inclined at defending and getting buttheart over it, after all it's better for the consumer.

I mean, does anyone seriously listen to analysts?

I do. Microsoft, Google, Nintendo are bankrupt and going out of business. Apple is #1 in the market now. HDTV hasn't gained any market traction, and people still want SDTV with standard DVD as Blu-ray is a miss.

The only people that do listen to analysts are the stock brokers and others without a clue of the industry. They rely on analysts to do the research. Sadly, analysts do a very poor job and miss the mark 90% of the time. How they continue to stay in business is beyond me. Same reason Nielson is still used for TV viewing statistics. Same people that give RIAA/MPAA their statistics on pirating and value of items.

I only use Google to search and I still do not understand why everyone is so inclined at defending and getting buttheart over it, after all it's better for the consumer.

Because they won't die, much like Yahoo didn't die. They will go down, and probably be #2, but unlike Yahoo - Google is actually creating more products and improving things. Advertising is still their #1 revenue stream, but with Android, GMail, Maps, Streetview, Google Earth, etc. etc. and more coming down the pipe, it's not a small thing. For all that to fail would take a lot. Some will fail. They won't be #1 forever. No one is butt hurt, really, it's just not an accurate prediction. Something major would need to happen to dethrone Google from everything.

yes but Google is invested in more than just being a search engine. If Google disappears then YouTube will disappear too and so on.

I guess it's possible an asteroid could wrote out all life on earth in the future.

/shrug... Possible I guess.

CNBC has repeatedly been talking out there know what and as usly reporter write stupid stories
Back in day I was using Altavista i hated Yahoo it was full much carp

I do. Microsoft, Google, Nintendo are bankrupt and going out of business. Apple is #1 in the market now. HDTV hasn't gained any market traction, and people still want SDTV with standard DVD as Blu-ray is a miss.

The only people that do listen to analysts are the stock brokers and others without a clue of the industry. They rely on analysts to do the research. Sadly, analysts do a very poor job and miss the mark 90% of the time. How they continue to stay in business is beyond me. Same reason Nielson is still used for TV viewing statistics. Same people that give RIAA/MPAA their statistics on pirating and value of items.

Maybe you shouldn't listen to analysts... Because if you did your own research you would know that Apple is not #1 at anything...

Google's Android surged to a whopping 68% share of the global smartphone market last quarter. That's four times the 17% market share held by Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500), according to a Wednesday report from research firm IDC.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/08/technology/smartphone-market-share/index.html

According to the latest monthly totals from web metrics firm Net Applications, global usage of Apple’s (AAPL) Mac OS X platform overtook that of Microsoft’s (MSFT) Windows Vista in the month of August. The Cupertino-based company’s operating system accounted for 7.13% of worldwide usage while Vista fell to 6.15%. The latest version of OS X, known as Mountain Lion, has seen extremely fast adoption and already has a worldwide usage share of 1.34%. In the same month, Windows 7 finally surpassed Windows XP to become the most popular operating system in the world. The firm also found that Apple’s iPad and iPhone accounted for 3.37% and 2.42% of Web traffic respectively, while the Android operating system made up only 1.71% of traffic.

http://bgr.com/2012/09/03/windows-os-x-market-share-august-2012/

I guess it's possible an asteroid could wrote out all life on earth in the future.

/shrug... Possible I guess.

You mean wipe out all life on earth in the future.
That not far off 12/21/2012 or is 12/31/2012 ok maybe thoses doomsday sayer can't get there fact rigth at all becuases they really don't what talk about after all sounds to far fetched to say the least, especially to us who remember the unfulfilled doomsday predictions of Y2K or the earth-changing harmonic convergence that never quite converged in 1987, so when is the next great blockbuster movie coming out??.

Once again a tech journalist fails to acknowledge that Google is NOT in the search business. They're in the ad revenue business. As long as AdSense and Links From Google is on just about every web site in the world - and on millions of Android phones - Google Search isn't going anywhere.

I don't understand why everyone gets so butthurt when someone says Google will die.
It's because people here love Google. If this article was about Facebook, which is having the same ad revenue generation problem as Google(most significantly on smartphones) almost every poster here would have the opposite reaction and cheer for FB to disappear ASAP.

Maybe I should write a story "Here's Why Apple Could Disappear in Five Years", so I can generate traffic to my web site.

It would be just as relevant.

Maybe I should write a story "Here's Why Apple Could Disappear in Five Years", so I can generate traffic to my web site.

It would be just as relevant.

And you already have the perfect screen name for a financial or business analyst :D

Little blue box bad, Siri good :rolleyes:

Divine inspiration, interpretation, or revelation of conditioned events to come, I think not!

I think I have maybe used Yahoo 2-5 times to search for something in the last 15 years of working computers. They never were "the king".

The article is just a garbage way to "explain" their drop in earnings. This is total bullshit and speculation "could" is not solid in any fashion at all. Furthermore, they compare Yahoo to Google. The article plots Google's possible demise to that of what has been happening to Yahoo. Problem is, the only product I've found to be worthwhile to come out of Yahoo has been Zimbra, and well they don't have that any more.

If you instead look at Google, they have so much more to their business that is successful. They throw away better ideas than Yahoo ever had.

This article is a joke, and just trying to stir the pot about Google's stock. Not journalism.

Yahoo damn sure was the king late 90s and early 2000s. Everyone I knew used their chat, email, search, etc, the way they do now with google. Google has hardware/software now, which is much more risky, especially the hardware part. I know its blasphemy here, but what if WP8 and W8 tablets actually are a success and Android devices become an afterthought. You all of a sudden end up with lots of Bing users and a bunch of manus that want to jump ship to a more lucrative OS. You really do never know. Thing change quickly in that business.

"Let me go Bing that!"

Said no person ever.

It's because people here love Google. If this article was about Facebook, which is having the same ad revenue generation problem as Google(most significantly on smartphones) almost every poster here would have the opposite reaction and cheer for FB to disappear ASAP.

I don't love Google, I just think the idea of a company "dying" because ad revenue is down in a severe recession is stupidity at its finest.

Google's problem is they are acting just like yahoo, trying to be everyone else all while ruining their core market and driving their user base away with BS shenanigans and pet projects.

google's search is wildly inefficient now, and cluttered. The new layouts are atrocious. the easiest way to make it work it to use a fake user agent or run a greasemonkey script to fix the stupid crap they put into their search engine. I want search, not facebook.

I want email, not facebook. I want things that work and are simple, I dont give a flip about how cute it is, I dont wants fades and flyouts. I want simple text i can click on. I dont want link tracking or referring urls, just link the pages.

I dont want to plus1 your useless social site. I dont want customization or a history. congrats, now all my cookies are set to expire every session.

google's old phrase was dont be evil, they should be dont be facebook, stupid.

I think CNBC is more likely to disappear in five years than Google. Google is number one in their field. CNBC is number 19.

This. :cool:

There's no chance. They've done it right this long & will continue to only get better. They have implemented the security that I want in a company, and I will have no reason to jump shit in the near future. My entire online presence is with Google. It's not going to change.

That's a pretty limited view. On the long odds side of the equation is that google came along and did search better. There's no reason to think someone couldn't do so again. Admittedly, this is low odds as a company like that is likely to be bought up for their ideas first, but it is possible. Much more likely is that google sucks at making money with their other ideas to date. Without apple cutting them a check, mobile revenue for them is WAY down. Is maps profitable? G+? gmail? Advertising is their real income, and that is decreasing, and likely to decrease further. They have whipped up some technical successes, but not financial successes. If they keep it up, the option of buying that theoretical very clever company rather than winding up in competition with their technology drops.

I think CNBC is more likely to disappear in five years than Google. Google is number one in their field. CNBC is number 19.

+1

I like how they claims that Apple is going to replace Google for the way users search, then reference Siri. Really? :confused:

Difficult to see, the future is.

Yahoo never became anything beyond an email, chat, and search platform.

The person has some points, in that more people are searching on mobile phones. However, it isn't like android is owned by Google our anything... or Google has a lot of other products. Google might decrease the profits in one area, but its not going to die anytime soon.

O wait, "I think the best opportunity out there to displace Google in this area is probably Apple's Siri." Nm this person is just crazy...

Back