Even A Three Year Old Can Use Windows 8

Wow. He can open up the built-in weather and clock programs. How demonstrative of Windows 8's superior capabilities. How about you move the slider so that the time and weather each take up half the screen? What? Oh...this version of Windows doesn't like that. Okay, how about you get rid of that pointless black space-thief on the left? Very good. What? Why was it there in the first place? Don't ask stupid questions, son. It just shows that you're afraid of change. Adapt.

Did the video actually show the 3-year-old navigating the mouse? Or could it have been someone else?

its definitely meant for 3 year olds... I meant that was pushing the OS to about the max of the new interface. Open weather, open clock, open pinball, close pinball. Yup, that's about right.

I loved how of the 2 or 3 things his father asked he wasn't really sure at first either. That didn't prove to me Win8 is easy to use it proved to me the blocky sesame street interface is appropriate for children. Spot on.

Never said win8 was difficult, it isn't on any level. This just confirms that. What it doesn't do however is dispute that win 8 is largely an inefficient mess as far as the ui goes. A 3 year old can use it, so what? Doesn't make it worth a damn. I wouldn't want the UI of the tablets designed for kids on my tablet either. Great for kids, terrible for anything else.

So congrats microsoft for competing with VTech.

One simple toggle to disable metro for those of us who want to get work done and don't want our desktop to look like our tablets and all the bitching instantly goes away. Can I do it with third party paid apps? Yep, should I have too? Absolutely not.

Microsoft did not make Windows 8 for me. They made it to compete with pay per App O/S's. I can see Microsoft wants to change the personal computer into a personalized computing service %100 pay per use.

I don't doubt that anyone can learn to use it given time. The fact is people are happy and familiar with the Start menu. Subtle changes work better than drastic and the interface isn't obvious, which would be more helpful.

That's nothing.
My kid started using a MAC when she was 1 year old.
She out grew it my the time she was 3 so I switched her to XP :)

It's a colorful, blocky mess that looks like it was designed by children. What was the point of this video again? Don't tell me you're one of the sheep, Steve... :(

Not sure the point of said video. I was hacking on the DOS command line when I was his age.... doesn't mean I want it to use it daily anymore :D

My daughter played Counter Strike when she was 4, and she wasn't half bad either.

Watching adults struggle to use Windows 8, or any modern OS for that matter is sad and says a lot about society today.

BTW, my daughter is 15 now, still likes games like Portal and Half-Life... and runs Win8 Consumer Preview.

My daughter played Counter Strike when she was 4, and she wasn't half bad either.

Watching adults struggle to use Windows 8, or any modern OS for that matter is sad and says a lot about society today.

BTW, my daughter is 15 now, still likes games like Portal and Half-Life... and runs Win8 Consumer Preview.

Good for her. Here's your "I'M A SUPERSTAR DAD" coffee cup.

I figured out how to use MS-DOS when I was 3. This should be even easier for the young ones, sure, but what is the point of this video?

Or it says a lot for MS's design choices. People become accustomed to working a certain way... when MS jumped the shark with their UI, people that have worked with their start menu/desktop (since 95 atleast) UI for 20+ years now have to adjust... where younger people don't have the sort of 'muscle memory' (for lack of a better term), as they have less experience.

Never said win8 was difficult, it isn't on any level. This just confirms that. What it doesn't do however is dispute that win 8 is largely an inefficient mess as far as the ui goes. A 3 year old can use it, so what? Doesn't make it worth a damn. I wouldn't want the UI of the tablets designed for kids on my tablet either. Great for kids, terrible for anything else.

So congrats microsoft for competing with VTech.

One simple toggle to disable metro for those of us who want to get work done and don't want our desktop to look like our tablets and all the bitching instantly goes away. Can I do it with third party paid apps? Yep, should I have too? Absolutely not.

This whole issue about getting work done is a constant complain of the new UI. What I don't get is this. Where do people do their work? Inside of applications and those applications work exactly the same in Windows 7 or 8. Having spent 13 months on a Windows 8 dual screen desktop I'm just not seeing anything that different as it relates to desktop productivity, it's pretty much the same with a keyboard and mouse. The Start Screen is just another way to launch things for the most part. If I need to things like run desktop apps as admin and such, I have the Start Menu links in my Favorites in the File Explorer, but I don't often need to go there.

It says nothing of the sort. Adults have been using versions of Windows for many years now and have grown accustomed to certain UI aspects. A 3 year old has no previous experience and is thus not preconditioned as adults are.

It would be the same thing if a car company suddenly came out with a car that was controlled by two sticks instead of a steering wheel and pedals. A teenager who had little or no driving experience would take to it much easier than an adult with many years of driving experience.

It has nothing to do with a lack of intelligence or a stubbornness to learning new things. It's changing the fundamental interface elements and having an unreasonable expectation that people who have been using the start menu since the advent of Windows 95 to suddenly be expected to embrace the counter-intuitive interface that is Windows 8.

This whole issue about getting work done is a constant complain of the new UI. What I don't get is this. Where do people do their work? Inside of applications and those applications work exactly the same in Windows 7 or 8. Having spent 13 months on a Windows 8 dual screen desktop I'm just not seeing anything that different as it relates to desktop productivity, it's pretty much the same with a keyboard and mouse. The Start Screen is just another way to launch things for the most part. If I need to things like run desktop apps as admin and such, I have the Start Menu links in my Favorites in the File Explorer, but I don't often need to go there.

I think its more for the people who can barely navigate win 7, turn the computer on and such.
Think of a business with people who use the computer but only know the real simple basics. Now if its a few people, its not bad, but what if a company decided to upgrade 100 computers and they came with windows 8? ROFL
Poor tech support would drown.

The old way works just fine and is super easy to use also.

So you're telling me this is the average Windows 8 user:
CmSr1.jpg

Sounds about right. Stupid video - just because a 3 yo can use it doesn't mean I should.

Is it really a big deal? Kids are smart, and will mess with things until they get them to do what they were hoping for. I was navigating ms-dos when I was 3 so I could play commander keen.

These Pro Windows 8 vs Anti-Windows 8 arguments are getting a little silly. It comes out this Friday, lets wait and see. Personally I hate it and am hoping it fails and will never use the damn thing, but if Microsoft starts forcing Windows 8 into Windows 9, Windows 10, etc. What choice will there to be? We'll either be snuffed out or move on to something else and personally I'll probably have to suck it up if they do force it on everyone which they seem to want to do.

The best bet at correcting things wrong with Redmond always has and always will be, the market. So I'm praying for the worse, but it may not go that way.

I think its more for the people who can barely navigate win 7, turn the computer on and such.
Think of a business with people who use the computer but only know the real simple basics. Now if its a few people, its not bad, but what if a company decided to upgrade 100 computers and they came with windows 8? ROFL

If that was the case, it would ok. But, unfortunately, everyone that is complaining here at [H] are tech enthusiasts or pros, so it is not the computer illiterate that are complaining.

Now, regarding the video, my 1.5 year old son learned to use my Windows Phone when he was only 8 months old, and he can navigate and open/close apps, even tough he can't read yet (he nows how to navigate and find Mickey Mouse apps).

These Pro Windows 8 vs Anti-Windows 8 arguments are getting a little silly. It comes out this Friday, lets wait and see. Personally I hate it and am hoping it fails and will never use the damn thing, but if Microsoft starts forcing Windows 8 into Windows 9, Windows 10, etc. What choice will there to be? We'll either be snuffed out or move on to something else and personally I'll probably have to suck it up if they do force it on everyone which they seem to want to do.

The best bet at correcting things wrong with Redmond always has and always will be, the market. So I'm praying for the worse, but it may not go that way.

I'm also hoping that it fails miserably for the same reasons. If this becomes the 'new' Windows UI from here on out, I'll be sticking with 7 until I'm forced to go to Linux or MacOS.

I'm also hoping that it fails miserably for the same reasons. If this becomes the 'new' Windows UI from here on out, I'll be sticking with 7 until I'm forced to go to Linux or MacOS.

Don't worry, if this becomes the new UI on future versions on windows, I'm sure Apple will steal it for the MacOS :)

So? My 2 year old can work my Windows 7. He can open Firefox, open up PBSkids.com, and play games. He can even open up my movies folder and play anything.

Don't worry, if this becomes the new UI on future versions on windows, I'm sure Apple will steal it for the MacOS :)

Apple was smart enough to keep their mobile OS and Desktop OS seperate. I really don't see them following MS (I actually expect them to market metro as a reason to switch to Mac's)

Out of those 100 people, some will have probably purchased a Windows 8 machine and have already to learned how to use it. With the right instruction it simply isn't that difficult to learn if all a person basically needs is a way to launch programs like many have traditionally done from the Start Menu.

And the Start Menu doesn't work fine or is super easy to use on a tablet. Perhaps Microsoft is wrong in focusing on tablets, but people don't seem to be nearly as interested in the desktop as tablets these days.

All users struggle with dramatically new interfaces when they're given no instructional resources on how to navigate those interfaces. What it really says of society today is that human beings are still human, who still must learn how to interact with things via the method of discovery, and little else.

It's hardly revelatory.

Lot of Windows 8 hate in here. I think some people are a bit jealous that a 3 year old picked it up faster than they did! :D (I kid).

Seriously, though, how many people can honestly say they've given Windows 8 a fair chance, installed it, used it for a while and then said they hate it? I'm to the point to where I go to work (Win7 machine) and have to think about it for a bit. I'm used to the Windows 8 interface, and it works excellent. My 11 year old is great at it (and wants his PC upgraded now).

It's a colorful, blocky mess that looks like it was designed by children. What was the point of this video again? Don't tell me you're one of the sheep, Steve... :(

On of the sheep? Does this kid have a following or something?

As for the point of the video, there have been a hundred "Windows 8 Is Really Confusing" articles by the mainstream media that are absolutely retarded.

If people don't like Windows 8 for <insert reason> that's cool. But to make it sound like people are incapable of understanding it is just stupid. Or making it sound like you aren't using it because it is too hard to understand. What? We all understand Windows 8 just fine (even the 3 year old) and that is precisely why we do / don't like it.

Video could of been BS, once the camera goes off the kid, who's to say the kid is still on the computer.
Obviously if it was the kid it wasn't his first time and someone taught him to use windows 8.

Back