Micro Center (in store) Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Preorder $38.88

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks OP, I preordered. Microcenter is 5 minutes away, how convenient!

Good price, but I'm not sure I want it. The under the hood stuff would be nice, but MS does not exactly have a great track record when it comes to interface improvement.

Not bad. Basically the same price as the download version, and you get the physical disc.

Same price as digital upgrade from Windows.com, if there was a MC near here I would be tempted. As of now, still waiting for Friday to order mine.

I'm tired of using a upgrade disk personally.. after dealing with it for Win7 Pro on all the computers at home with the double install crap.. man i'd much rather just have a full install disk for a little more.

$100 for a full version or less is looking a whole lot better to me.

I'm tired of using a upgrade disk personally.. after dealing with it for Win7 Pro on all the computers at home with the double install crap.. man i'd much rather just have a full install disk for a little more.

There is a way to install win7 upgrade without doing a double install.

I've used that method a few times (both home and pro versions) with success. Even when it didn't work I was able to call Microsoft and get the problem resolved in 20-30 minutes.

I'm sure there will be a way to install without double installing win8 as well.

I had Vista Ultimate. Then I bought 7 Ultimate Upgrade through my school. I ran the upgrade from Vista and put my Vista CD's in storage. Since then I have formatted 7 multiple times without activation issues. Did it invalidate my Vista key and upgrade the 7 key to a full copy, or do I just have a kinky upgrade that lets me do whatever the hell I want?

At that price I might as well pick it up when I go in a few days to get a 3570k/Z77 combo.

Am I wrong in my assumption that the download only version of the Pro upgrade will be $40 from MS? So this is really only if you want a box copy then?

I have an upgrade disk for Win7 Pro. Never had to install the original operating system ever.
Had one upgrade disk for XP (And coming from Dell, it could have been an exception), I only had to put the original Me disk in the drive for second for proof, otherwise it did a clean one-disc install too.

Whether either scenario is true, remains to be seen. But I fully expect a clean install should be able to be done from the upgrade disc version.

For the past 4 days, Microcenter's website has been "experiencing technical issues". I called Microcenter and they said they are aware of the issue. Funny, when I asked them to reserve me a copy over the phone, they said they couldn't do that.. instead, I have to do it on their website. I said, "but your website is not working".. They replied, "I know. We are aware of the issue and are working hard to get it up and running".

So back to square one. I said if I can't order over the phone and I can't order it online, how the heck am I supposed to pre order Windows 8 from you guys. Microcenter's response, "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" (then followed by 20 seconds of awkward silence). Microcenter is a joke. This isn't the first time their website has experienced technical difficulties. It ALWAYS seems to happen around a big launch of something that everyone seems to buy (ie.. newest line of processor releases, newest launch of high end video cards, newest launch of operating systems, etc). I think someone at their corporate office "induces" issues on their website when they are losing too much money on certain items. *cough ILLEGAL BUSINESS PRACTICES cough*

OOS in Boston/Cambridge

Yep, and quite early too. Makes me wonder just how many copies they actually started out with. I'm guessing not too many.

EDIT!! Just clicked the link again (no idea why, lol) but Boston store now has a more than a dozen copies in stock again.... so keep checking your local store if you want to get one :)

Can't even register for a new account.. I can initially get the actual site to come up but the moment I click "CREATE AN ACCOUNT", instant fail.

MC site was down yet again so I finally bit on the Amazon deal. I don't see myself loading the OS anytime soon but at least I have a copy to eventually learn it and play around.

I realized the other day when I ordered, I selected the pay in-store option. I got an email back from them saying they'd hold my order until closing today (the 23rd). Obviously, the OS doesn't actually come out until the 26th, so I don't know if my pre-order actually worked. I can't seem to get a hold of them on the phone...been on hold for 15 minutes waiting for someone to answer. Does anyone know if you have to pay online for your pre-order to be legit?

Can't even register for a new account.. I can initially get the actual site to come up but the moment I click "CREATE AN ACCOUNT", instant fail.
Their site is having issues. I been fighting with the "reset password" script for 20 minutes now. Just keep refreshing, it eventually comes up, lol. grrrrrr.

Finally just got my order complete. $41.31 after tax, but no waiting 30 days for the Amazon credit. :)

Last edited:
i dunno if this deal is still on but i preordered Windows 8 pro 64bit full retail system builders disc for $109 from newegg and the non pro verison was $69.99

Took the advise of constantly attempting a login. I can say that after 10 hours and 41 minutes of attempting to login, I FINALLY got it. I tried this method roughly every 3 minutes for the past 10 hours and 41 minutes.. haha! Talk about determination.. haha!

Took the advise of constantly attempting a login. I can say that after 10 hours and 41 minutes of attempting to login, I FINALLY got it. I tried this method roughly every 3 minutes for the past 10 hours and 41 minutes.. haha! Talk about determination.. haha!
Wow... just wow, lol

I had to call the Boston location after I got the confirmation email. It stated that my order was "ready to be picked up" and "would be cancelled if not picked up in 3 business days".

I was told it is a computer glitch and the 3-day period doesn't start till Friday morning.
This sucks for me, as Friday thru Sun I am off work and back home (almost 2 hours drive from MC). I asked if they could hold it till Monday when I am back in the area. They replied that if I don't take it by Sunday, they will cancel the order, return the item to stock, and I will have to purchase at full retail. And they won't let anyone else pick it up for me. So for $30 savings, minus tax, I will spend $15 in gas to make a special trip into Boston. Balls.

I have a small price to pay for the Window 8 upgrade. However, I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother with it. Win 8 seems like it will end up like Windows 98 ME. Lets fast forward to Windows 9?

I saw this on posted on SD/FW and got it Saturday night. Took me ~ 2.5 hours of clicking, entering my data, etc. to finally get an account set up. Got my email on Sunday that it was ready to pick up (and the line that says I have 3 days to pick it up before they cancel the order), and went in to get it. Heh, manager said they don't get the shipment til Friday, and to come back then. Also that the cancellation part won't happen as this is a pre-order/sale.

Oh well, I'll probably get it on Saturday. Who knows when I'll actually install it. Just picked up a new laptop last week, so that will have 8 on it (the $14.99 upgrade, w/ that FAR from Staples), and I need to have at least one computer at home to test out my (terrible) coding skills that has 7 on it.

When I went to pick up my copy yesterday, they had copies on display in-store for the same price, so I'm guessing you don't really need to pre-order to get the discount if your local store has copies to spare.

Its like $38.88 plus tax or $15 and download it. Which one? Both the same right?

Technically, $15 download is only for Windows7 computers purchased after June 2012.

$38.88 is a legitimate upgrade for all currently supported versions of Windows (XP, Vista, 7)

Vista upgrade for recently purchased XP machines was FREE.
Did they charge for 7 upgrade on recently purchased Vista machines?

Dammit, I missed out on the bickering. :(

About the Win 8 pre-order, interesting about the $1.12 savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back