Hackers Break into the National Weather Service

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s getting pretty strange when a group targets the National Weather Service, but it doesn’t look like they were looking for secret weather plans. This is another wake up call, not so much for the potential damage to the Weather Service’s servers, but to expose the possible vulnerabilities on other, more sensitive government agencies networks.

Kosova Hacker's Security said the hack was carried out in retaliation for American aggression against Muslim nations, including the Flame and Stuxnet malware attacks against the Iran nuclear program.

This is a good wake up call. Hopefully they will up the ante on their server security before cyber attack gets any worse.

WTF... Hacking a weather service in retaliation for attacks on nuclear program? What does weather service have to do with anything? Why always place the burden on the innocent?

WTF... Hacking a weather service in retaliation for attacks on nuclear program? What does weather service have to do with anything? Why always place the burden on the innocent?

Its the only thing they were succesfull on.

This is a good wake up call. Hopefully they will up the ante on their server security before cyber attack gets any worse.

LOLLOLOLOL

Really, hacking a NFP is a wake up call...

All this proves is these hackers don't have balls...

BTW throw out some more keywords so you sound like you know what a "server" really is

I can imagine the congressional budget office saying "Yes. the NWS needs at least 10 million more in funds in order to properly secure their servers!"

We must stop this now. Next it could be the national ocean service!!!

I can imagine the congressional budget office saying "Yes. the NWS needs at least 10 million more in funds in order to properly secure their servers!"

We must stop this now. Next it could be the national ocean service!!!

Favoriting this post until it actually does get worse, just so I could say "I TOLD YOU SO!" :p
On a more serious note, it would be a good time to get into security for you undergrads who are still in school.

Fuck these so called Muslim's and there religious Jihad bullshit. Everyone who has half a brain knows that these thugs only use religion as a screen to try and make what they are doing a just cause.

I feel sorry for the NWS systems administrators that have to work a bunch of extra hours to fix their stuff. Really, they're pretty much the only victims of this supposed counter attack. :( Really...the weather peoples' systems? That's so random and stupid.

The opinions that people in some foreign locales have about the US communications grid can be downright comical at times...;) Unlike in Kosovo, where services like this are likely centralized and singular, in the US lots and lots of vital services are deliberately decentralized and redundant throughout the country.

It's like they are probably imagining, "Oooo--o-o-o-o, we'll show these American scumbaggies not to mess with us--we will cripple their weather network and watch them scurry 'round like blind mice who've lost the scent! We will bring the country to its knees! Yea!" Yaawn. When one weather station goes down we just change channels, more or less, and draw from another source. This kind of multiplicity of services is unheard of many of these countries. When I read a story like this I imagine the Three Stooges trying to use computer to type and print a letter...;)

The US definitely needed this wake up call. I remember when that Muslim guy drew a picture of Jesus and people here in the USA went crazy and tore innocent Muslims limb from limb in the streets, fire bombed mosques, and then went and assassinated the artist.

Something leads me to believe that this is more politically motivated than anything else. Because other than scientific data there's really no benefit or street cred to hacking the weather service unless the hackers knew exactly what they were after. No doubt, we'll never know the truth...

Maybe someone should explain to them how evil Iran is and it's in everyone in the worlds (literally) best interest that Iran not get a hold of this technology.

My Take: Imagine if the computer models predicting weather got hacked and had to be replaced with someone actually looking out the window...the accuracy would improve tremendously.

Thanks!

My Take: Imagine if the computer models predicting weather got hacked and had to be replaced with someone actually looking out the window...the accuracy would improve tremendously.

Thanks!

If they have a window that looks into 12 hours from now that would work great ... the Navier Stokes equations and other formula that are used to predict weather are all input dependent ... as the inputs changes so do the outputs ... since temperature, humidity, wind speed, and other factors change over time that makes the models less stable as time moves forward ... most of the time weather predictions are reasonably accurate for a day or two in advance ... a week out you might as well flip a coin ;)

Back