Key Parts of Ubuntu 13.04 Will Be Developed in Secret

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Well, so much for Open Source software development. :D On the heels (literally) of its latest released version of Ubuntu, Mark Shuttleworth has announced that parts of the development of the 13.04 build, codenamed Raring Ringtail, will be done in secret away from the scrutiny of Ubuntu’s critics.

As for what these secret features actually are, Shuttleworth says that Canonical’s skunkworks project (so called after Lockheed’s secretive R&D Skunk Works department) has something for everyone, from “webby, to artistic, to scientific, to glitzy, to privacy-enhancing, to analytical.”

As for what these secret features actually are, Shuttleworth says that Canonical’s skunkworks project (so called after Lockheed’s secretive R&D Skunk Works department) has something for everyone, from “webby, to artistic, to scientific, to glitzy, to privacy-enhancing, to analytical.”

A way to analyze physical mass within 3d videos about "female empowerment" streamed from an online provider without anyone finding out you did so.

Keep going, you're onto something there...

Most people wont be compiling their own crap. Most people don't care about open source or not. Ubuntu is in general a more user friendly Linux, for people who just want to load and run it with as little PITA as possible.

My guess is they're planning to tablet-ize the UI even more, and want to be able to do it without being screamed at by their userbase. Fortunately, if they keep it up, that will be a problem that is unlikely to continue for much longer.

So I guess Mint is the new distro that everyone's moving to? Is it still good? Has the tablet plague reached there yet?

Open source and secretive development aren't mutually exclusive. Whatever they're working on will eventually be open-sourced.

My guess is they're planning to tablet-ize the UI even more, and want to be able to do it without being screamed at by their userbase. Fortunately, if they keep it up, that will be a problem that is unlikely to continue for much longer.

So I guess Mint is the new distro that everyone's moving to? Is it still good? Has the tablet plague reached there yet?

Mint is OK but the rolling release model can sort of bork things. I don't use it on machines that are somewhat important like my workstation.

Xubuntu is still fine. I use both Mint or Xubuntu. Xubuntu is better than Mint's XFCE release imo, but Cinnamon is pretty cool.

@InternationalHat Mint is still based off Ubuntu releases. Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is the rolling release distro built off of Debian wheezy.

Mint is nice because it gets you the functionality of Ubuntu without Unity. I have been using Cinnamon for a few months now and am liking it. I don't care about all the spiffy things new window managers get you; I could get away with Gnome 2(used Mate for a long time) and be happy.

Interesting I'll have to pester the Ubuntu reps at CES, for answers.

As far as this secret development goes, think of it like Android and Google. They're working on the next version of Android, and they ain't going to show source code until it's done. This is no different.

Why you may ask? Before Windows 8 there was Unity, and one could say that maybe Microsoft got the idea from Ubuntu. A very bad idea. So maybe Ubuntu is aware of this and is keeping it under wraps until it's done.

Sounds more like a page out of Steve Jobs book. Not that it's a bad thing, depending on how they do the big reveal.

As far as this secret development goes, think of it like Android and Google. They're working on the next version of Android, and they ain't going to show source code until it's done. This is no different.

Why you may ask? Before Windows 8 there was Unity, and one could say that maybe Microsoft got the idea from Ubuntu. A very bad idea. So maybe Ubuntu is aware of this and is keeping it under wraps until it's done.

So it's kinda like a kid with an STD not sleeping around? :D

no matter what happens, open source codes are always going to make some one some money, if not developer than someone else will do it. this might be good idea but in the end it's still open source so someone is just going use it in other ways after it's release.

Back