What Do "Normal" People Think Of Windows 8?

His dad would find Mac easier to learn than Win8?

The first retard female wants a minimize button? Where's the minimize button on your desktop?

"I'm not sure how to get out of here?" Click on "DESKTOP" Einstein :rolleyes:

"It's more like a tablet interface." Yeah, which you have no problem finding your way around....strangely enough!

I stopped watching at that point.......my iQ was decreasing too rapidly!

Those asshats would find operating a dildo complex! "I'm not sure how to make it vibrate"

ROFL

Too bad I can't see this at work right now. Should be very interesting. You know they've picked the biggest, dumbest idiots to showcase in the video though. Being an IT guy I'd like to see how the regular consumers react (a more fair representation though). It's what's going to make or break Win 8's success.

My grandmother just recently asked me if she should switch from Xp to win8 because of the intro pricing. I straight out told her no. there no point with older people I'd be there every day teaching her how to use it. I mean my iPad confuses her lol, so I can see the point they're trying to make with the video. It was a lovely plug at the end though.

Make a change to an operating system and people seem like they cant learn something new again. Sad world we really live in.

Its funny to watch these people operate a PC. Looks like this shit got more personal. :D

how many days till microsoft releases a patch that drops the modern ui on the desktop?

PLACE YOUR BETS!

Too bad I can't see this at work right now. Should be very interesting. You know they've picked the biggest, dumbest idiots to showcase in the video though. Being an IT guy I'd like to see how the regular consumers react (a more fair representation though). It's what's going to make or break Win 8's success.

Yeah Im at work too! :(

Are people just clueless?

Based on THOMO's comments alone, it sounds like this video is targeting desktop PC users? Of course they'd be like "what the hell" at first. How would hardcore tablet/phone users react to it I imagine? Both are very different groups of people. That's like asking what [H] users and IT people think in comparison to some random grandma at the grocery store. Very different opinions.

Haven't personally messed with windows 8 at all, but from what I've read and what I've seen it'll be a huge flop for the desktop market. It's pretty stupid to use a tablet style interface when you have a keyboard and mouse present. I know I have no plans of ever switching to 8. maybe MS did themselves a disservice with 7. It's just too good.

I don't trust "normal" people at all for a second anywhere near a computer. Had a friend of my GF bring a laptop over, turn on it, and after opening IE (without hooking it to wifi or anything) as why the "E" wasn't working. :rolleyes:

The first retard female wants a minimize button? Where's the minimize button on your desktop?

"It's more like a tablet interface." Yeah, which you have no problem finding your way around....strangely enough!

Those asshats would find operating a dildo complex! "I'm not sure how to make it vibrate"

ROFL

This sounds like something Steve Jobs would have said if he ran MS. :D

My customers are saying the same thing these people are when they try it out on my demo systems. Subtle changes are easy to take in but the change in the Win 8 interface is too damned abrupt for a lot of casual users. But according to the experts the desktop is dying and tablets are getting ready to take over the world.

I'm sure heatlesssun will be in soon to tell us all why they are wrong and he/MS is right. :rolleyes:

Make a change to an operating system and people seem like they cant learn something new again. Sad world we really live in.

Sad world we live in that you would have to learn something new to be able to do basic tasks in a new version of an operating system.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," comes to mind. Microsoft should be building on the success of Windows 7 and further enhancing the user experience, not reinventing the wheel.

Sad world we live in that you would have to learn something new to be able to do basic tasks in a new version of an operating system.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," comes to mind. Microsoft should be building on the success of Windows 7 and further enhancing the user experience, not reinventing the wheel.

This.

ROFL

Did you consider that maybe she thought the new UI was a running program, rather than the native UI for Windows 8? She was tying to minimize that garbage to get to the Desktop, some familiar space, so she could get her bearings.

If I handed you a laptop with some crazy stuff on it and asked you to use it, you'd look for something familiar too.

I don't trust "normal" people at all for a second anywhere near a computer.

unfortunately for MS though, that's the vast majority of their user base.

My customers are saying the same thing these people are when they try it out on my demo systems. Subtle changes are easy to take in but the change in the Win 8 interface is too damned abrupt for a lot of casual users. But according to the experts the desktop is dying and tablets are getting ready to take over the world.

I wouldn't even limit it to casual users. There's a poll in here at [H] asking who's going to 8 and who's sticking with 7 and the amount of people sticking with 7 is close to double (maybe 40%) those that are upgrading. Users here are the polar opposite of a casual user.

The tablet isn't/shouldn't be a replacement for a PC, but an intermediate device to bridge the gap between smart phones and desktops/laptops

Change ANYTHING and your average luser has a shit fit. Every software update or upgrade, no matter how benign or what improvements/features/etc are added, predictably causes mass hysteria among non-geeks. Last week we updated the EMR software at a doctor's office and OMG IT'S LIKE STARTING OVER was all you heard for days. Most folks seem to expect that everything will operate exactly the same for years and even decades going forward.

Not making excuses for Win8 here - it may well be the next Vista - but I am sick to death of every change in established software being treated as the end of the world. I'm never fazed by these sorts of things, I don't know why others can't learn and adapt. Morons or no, it seems Joe Averages get a specific way of doing something ingrained in their pea brains and learning a new way is genuinely difficult.

I'm sure there are parts of 8 that I won't like, but I'll modify it or adapt to it as needed. No panic, hate, or RAGE/OUTRAGE!! will be required :rolleyes:

Did you consider that maybe she thought the new UI was a running program, rather than the native UI for Windows 8? She was tying to minimize that garbage to get to the Desktop, some familiar space, so she could get her bearings.

If I handed you a laptop with some crazy stuff on it and asked you to use it, you'd look for something familiar too.

That's what I was thinking too. She was probably thinking of it like media center or something. Speaking of which, maybe that wouldn't of been a bad way for MS to incorperate metro into the OS, then in Windows 9, let Metro take over once users got used to it.

Windows 8 is going to be Microsofts Apple Maps. Not ready for prime time.

Why is everyone sooo scared of change. The new UI isn't that much different. I'm loving windows 8.

Here, watch this one instead.

X0fsyb-ttcw

It seriously is a joke, it's a tablet OS, not a desktop OS plain and simple. At most it's a touch screen desktop OS. Either way it kills efficiency for looks.

Oh wow, just saw this from an iPad. Yep, this looks about right. And confirms they're only asking desktop PC users about it. Tablet/phone users would probably like the interface. Did anyone actually see the "Desktop" tile and click it? It makes you wonder, should MS have split Win 8 into 2 versions: a desktop version without metro and a metro only version without the desktop (RT comes close but still has desktop)?

Maybe once there was some penetration out there first and people became familiar with the metro interface on other devices this would be different? Then again, they're kind of doing that with releasing RT first then the Pro tablets 3 months later. Is that enough time? What about the people that buy a new desktop PC with Win 8 on it though? This will get interesting. Think about the Win 3.1 days to Win95 though. Remember MS had to actually put a fly out animation in the taskbar pointing to the new thing called the Start Menu because nobody knew what the hell it was? Remember when people had no idea what a mouse was used for and they just wanted their keyboard? I wonder if history will repeat itself or if this will flop.

Why is everyone sooo scared of change.

Why is everyone here so arrogant and close-minded? People have different tastes and opinions. Don't like it? You don't have to like it, you just have to RESPECT it.

Yes, respect. Something that's sorely lacking in this forum lately. Especially from those bright minds that thrive on calling people 'stupid' and 'dipshits' and whatnot just because they don't like a piece of software.

It's sad to see this forum stooping that low.

No, but just as bad, they'll just wait for Windows 9.

yep, the only thing you can do is wait three more years lol

in those windows 7 days i posted plenty of stuff like "WHY OH GOD WHYYY???" and "KIIIIILLL UUUUU!!" and "GONNA MUURDEEER UUUUUUU!!!" on the msdn forums and they always replied: "why thank you, we sure appreciate our users opinions and we take them in account with the developer team".. and stuff like that.. funnily enough several of my complaints were solved in windows 8 so i think they actually DO listen to peoples opinions, you just have to wait lol

Why is everyone sooo scared of change. The new UI isn't that much different. I'm loving windows 8.

Who is scared of change...they just want to do basic control things like min/max windows or shut the dam thing down.

HOLY SHIT! CHRIS PIRILLO!

I thought he died in a plane crash along with Leo Laporte and Patrick Norton! :p

Back