Verizon Draws Fire For Monitoring Customers Habits

HardOCP News

[H] News
I can't believe Verizon would actually say this kind of stuff in public and then act surprised that it gets them in hot water. :eek:

Verizon says it may link the data to third-party databases with information about customers' gender, age, and even details such as "sports enthusiast, frequent diner or pet owner." "We're able to view just everything that they do," Bill Diggins, U.S. chief for the Verizon Wireless marketing initiative, told an industry conference earlier this year. "And that's really where data is going today. Data is the new oil."

They did tell people they were going to do it and, for existing customers, there was an option to opt out.

This article makes Verizon sound like their bragging about being able to see what all their users are doing on their phones...

Sick of this information selling shit. When I had MetroPCS I'd always get texts from 4-digit numbers (sponsored by MetroPCS) for "Free iPads!" and other non-sense.

I don't give a shit if its the license agreement, EULA, whatever...I do not expect and would NEVER expect my cellphone provider to sell my information, in any form, to some "3rd party"...and who the fuck are these "3rd party" companies and why do they need my information?

I don't care if there's an op-out or not, the fact remains that no customer should have to worry about this to begin with!

So much corporate bullshit everywhere...so sick of it...

It's like going to the Doctor for your annual check-up and having to check the box to opt out of the rectal probing.
Why should the user have to OPT OUT of such agreements? If anything, they should have the choice to OPT IN.

Sick of this information selling shit. When I had MetroPCS I'd always get texts from 4-digit numbers (sponsored by MetroPCS) for "Free iPads!" and other non-sense.

I don't give a shit if its the license agreement, EULA, whatever...I do not expect and would NEVER expect my cellphone provider to sell my information, in any form, to some "3rd party"...and who the fuck are these "3rd party" companies and why do they need my information?

I don't care if there's an op-out or not, the fact remains that no customer should have to worry about this to begin with!

As mad as JoeUser seems today, I totally agree with this man:D. I don't care if it "is" like this and perceived normal, it "shouldn't" even be like this. All of the shit being done in the name of advertising/data mining should be illegal! I don't care what devil advocates say.

...because thems with the gold makes the rules but we are clever nerds and can identify and circumvent their root kits. What we can't do (at least using customary methods) is pay law makers to bust up the telcom cartel and punish them for price fixing. I still find it disconcerting people can still be tracked with their phones off.

This. I'm sick of these greedy fuckers stealing and selling my information.

As mad as JoeUser seems today, I totally agree with this man:D. I don't care if it "is" like this and perceived normal, it "shouldn't" even be like this. All of the shit being done in the name of advertising/data mining should be illegal! I don't care what devil advocates say.

I am angry today and have become more so in the recent weeks. It just seems to me like shit just keeps getting worse and worse and no one gives a rats ass.

We need to start a movement here people! VOTE FOR FREEDOM! VOTE FOR A BREAK AWAY FROM CORPORATE TYRANNY!!!

VOTE JOEUSER FOR PRESIDENT!

:D:D:D

Every time an executive at Verizon opens their mouth, something stupid pours forth.

For android, find a ROM that is free of CIQ.

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to do anything here, it sounds more like them using their internet infrastructure that you have to use to track sites you visit and what you do. DNS records alone could provide valuable information to advertisers. They don't even need to have something on the phone when all the data goes through their systems.

Or find a rom that forces you to read the fuckin' article before you comment.

Whoa there, big guy. They don't have those yet. They aren't quite that advanced.

He's right about one thing: data is the new oil. Companies are paying up the ass for targeted information and demographics.

And places like Verizon have the holy grail of data collection: your real name and address.

Because you pay the bills.

I don't mind the whole opting thing... just that it should be opt in if you want to, otherwise it's opt out by default.

Back