The Scrap Value of a Hacked PC

HardOCP News

[H] News
Make sure you guys tell (insert tech-illiterate relative/friend here) that there are many reasons crooks want to hack their computer. Even if they don't think there is.

The project was designed to explain simply and visually to the sort of computer user who can’t begin to fathom why miscreants would want to hack into his PC. “I don’t bank online, I don’t store sensitive information on my machine! I only use it to check email. What could hackers possibly want with this hunk of junk?,” are all common refrains from this type of user.

yeah, that is a pretty good pic to show to people, but then people will ask how they can protect themselves? here's the direct link to that guys blog about it

http://krebsonsecurity.com/tools-for-a-safer-pc/

however that's a lot to ask of newbs.. some people could care less about upgrading their routers firmware or installing windows updates.. but then they will pay the price

What computer users are they referring to?

Elderly and middle aged are already paranoid to use such things. Is this to teach kids?

I haven't junked a any of my system parts yet, and I'd make damn sure the hard drives were unreadable if I did (beat the s#!t out of them with a hammer, and drill some holes for good measure).

I recently salvaged a computer from the scraps, the person who threw it out had cut all the wires/cables thinking it wouldnt work anymore :D

I soldered together all the wires and had a fully working E8400 with a 9800GTX and 250GB harddrive :D

In all fairness, this idea of getting "hacked" comes from the media's portrayal of it. A hacker will not actively try to sit at his keyboard and try to connect to your individual PC. Almost everything on that list is done by a virus, trojan, keylogger, or some other malware/spyware and the data is then collected by the hacker.

Picked up a few comps from people on the cheap because they said it was hacked and it would never be safe to use anymore

Back