Inmate Sues For Access To Facebook From Prison

HardOCP News

[H] News
Cruel and unusual punishment, that's what this is. :rolleyes:

A federal appeals court rejected his lawsuit on Friday, ruling that Nixon had not demonstrated that his First Amendment rights -- which are limited during his incarceration -- have been violated. "Inmates' right to receive and send mail can be restricted for legitimate penological interests," the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals ruled.

I do have friends that say they'd die without access to Facebook and Twitter so I can understand why this is important to people who depend on social networking for survival.

I do have friends that say they'd die without access to Facebook and Twitter so I can understand why this is important to people who depend on social networking for survival.

If they're in prison, I don't have a problem with them dying.

Networking for survival is a a way of life in prison. It's called being some big, tough asshole's bitch. :D

"penological", is that really a word? Oh, and as long as they get three hots and a cot I'm good.

If they're in prison, I don't have a problem with them dying.

That's not very nice. There are some people on this forum that have spent time in prison for various things. :(

Networking for survival is a a way of life in prison. It's called being some big, tough asshole's bitch. :D

How many times do I have to tell you people that prison life isn't all about the bigger, more dominant person doing all the pitching in games if private baseball? Sometimes those larger men only play themselves off as big and tough to meet popularized media ideologies that trickle through the fence about what life in the crowbar hotel should be like. Just like in the outside world, lots of those big, tough guys spend many nights awake, in tears and seeking the loving, comforting embrace of their smaller cell mates. I'm sure that living a life behind a facade of domination that obscures a sensitive inner nature causes many to, when out of view of others, submit themselves to the same smaller people who, in turn are seeking to fill a Napoleonic need to love from atop the roost as a master and ruler. I think we just have to be mindful not to fall into the trap of believing the unrealistic portrayal of inmate psychology that emerged in the 1850's when prison love drama documentaries were broadcast over cable television in Eastern Germany started presenting a disturbing, inaccurate slant to the unknowing, unsuspecting world. :( :(

"penological", is that really a word? Oh, and as long as they get three hots and a cot I'm good.

Do they have to be hots?

In California, an inmate gets 2 hots and a cold lunch, unless he's working. In that case, he gets a hot lunch.

This sounds like it has a story behind it?

Actually... uhh... no. I do have several customers who work at Pelican Bay Prison (Cali's home for the worst of the worst) and I've heard some ummm, interesting stories from them about how 'social networking' works in prison.

They really like to tell these 'stories' to people. Maybe a bit too much. :eek:

DeathPrincess said:
How many times do I have to tell you people that prison life isn't all about the bigger, more dominant person doing all the pitching in games if private baseball?

Now this sounds like the voice of experience! ;)

More like I copied one part twice and forgot to change the second quote.

Or what you said! :D

And here I thought people were locked away to separate them from society. :rolleyes:
What ever happened to consequences for your actions? Oh wait, bleeding hearts ended such atrocities and brought inmates more rights and privileges than law abiding citizens. :mad:

Since when is Facebook a "need"? Especially to those that are in PRISON!

Absolutely ridiculous. Plain and simple.

I don't care what you did to get in there or whether its right or wrong or whether you're really innocent or not...the simple fact of the matter is that you are in prison. You have no rights to Facebook. You gave up those rights when you did what you did to get there in the first place.

And here I thought people were locked away to separate them from society. :rolleyes:
What ever happened to consequences for your actions? Oh wait, bleeding hearts ended such atrocities and brought inmates more rights and privileges than law abiding citizens. :mad:

That never happened or you'd be giving all of this up to RSVP your spot in a supermax. The guys who have it easy in jail are white collar criminals, like Madoff and CEO's that scammed the shit out of people.

You also missed the part where his appeal was denied and they laughed at him.

That never happened or you'd be giving all of this up to RSVP your spot in a supermax. The guys who have it easy in jail are white collar criminals, like Madoff and CEO's that scammed the shit out of people.

You also missed the part where his appeal was denied and they laughed at him.
I was generalizing. I still find it ironic that many have more comforts than they did on the outside, and at our expense. Glad to see this guy was denied. An inmate with internet access seems kind like a geek in his parents' basement, except with (hopefully) more supervision and restrictions. Rarely gets to go outside, but still has access to much of the world.

I wanna know who pays for the lawyers for these idiots to file these insance lawsuits.

I wanna know who pays for the lawyers for these idiots to file these insance lawsuits.

some lawyers are required to file an appeal for you if you ask and in some cases you can fight your own case. and there are people who actually have won these cases against high paid lawyers due to simple general knowledge.

Do inmates even have rights to sue? Seems kinda odd. They can't vote, but they can easily get millions of free dollars through legal theft? (that's basically what a lawsuit is).

yes, they have the right to sue but suits are rarely decided in their favor
and they don't have free access to legal counsel

I was generalizing. I still find it ironic that many have more comforts than they did on the outside, and at our expense. Glad to see this guy was denied. An inmate with internet access seems kind like a geek in his parents' basement, except with (hopefully) more supervision and restrictions. Rarely gets to go outside, but still has access to much of the world.
The only inmates that would have more comforts in prison are the ones that were basically homeless before they went in.

I think it's best to dehumanize inmates as much as possible, that way, if and when they get out they are well adjusted folks who present no further danger to society.

Soon we'll have prisoners who sue the gov.'t b/c they can't go on vacations while in jail. :rolleyes:

It's prison. it's supposed to be a punishment, so I don't have a problem with inmates not having it. We don't want people checking in like it's a hotel.

And there I was thinking they lost their rights of society once they were in prison.

Prisons should honestly just be a giant cage where we throw everyone a dead cow and some firewood and matches/tinder everyday... wonder how many people would stop committing crimes if prison was an actual punishment.

Prisons should honestly just be a giant cage where we throw everyone a dead cow and some firewood and matches/tinder everyday... wonder how many people would stop committing crimes if prison was an actual punishment.
Prisons were a lot rougher way back in the days of chain gangs and such and yet that didn't discourage crime ;).

yes, they have the right to sue but suits are rarely decided in their favor
and they don't have free access to legal counsel

I'll have to look it up and refresh my memory. I distinctly remember our law professor explicitly stating that once convicted, the constitution will no longer apply to you. That's why you can't vote, and they can take all the prints and biological samples they want without needing a warrant. You can deny having your DNA be put in a database, but once convicted, the state no longer needs permission. I would have thought that since you no longer have constitutional rights you'd have nothing to sue against:confused:

I suppose you still have 'human rights' but that's just basically enough to keep you fed?

Master [H];1039236158 said:
It's prison. it's supposed to be a punishment, so I don't have a problem with inmates not having it. We don't want people checking in like it's a hotel.

That does bring up a certain point. Are todays prisons meant for punishment? Or rehabilitation? (Training ground for future gang members not withstanding).

OT:
Is a rapist in a prison meant to keep society safe from him? Or keep him safe from the people wanting 'justice'?

I'm homeless bum, i'm hungry. I rape your daughter(s), i go to prison. You pay to keep a roof over my head, food on my plate and give me access to the internet so i don't get bored. That's Justice.

not talking about being rough... talking about the fact that if we started putting anyone convicted of first degree murder to death, started cutting off the balls of anyone convicted of rape, and started cutting off fingers for theft. Crime rates would definitely go down.

not talking about being rough... talking about the fact that if we started putting anyone convicted of first degree murder to death, started cutting off the balls of anyone convicted of rape, and started cutting off fingers for theft. Crime rates would definitely go down.

and if we cut off the hands of every litterer and publicly executed every shoplifter petty crime would go down, doesn't mean the punishment is necessarily right

The problem with that is that there have been many cases of people who have been convicted of a major crime and then latter on the "real" evidence comes out that show that said person is innocent. What now happens to that person you just cut the balls off cause he was convicted of rape but was later shown to be innocent?
I'm all for your ideas but lets think realistically here, many people have been convicted and then later shown to be innocent.

and if we cut off the hands of every litterer and publicly executed every shoplifter petty crime would go down, doesn't mean the punishment is necessarily right

Petty crime would go down, but government would eventually be overthrown in a revolution. Shortsighted, reactionary law commentary isn't healthy. (not directed at you)

Back