Microsoft's First Windows 8 TV Spot: Love It or 8 It

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
And so it begins. Today marks the kickoff for Microsoft’s Windows 8 operating system sales campaign. The total campaign expenditure will be in the $1.5 Billion range, so get used to seeing Windows 8 ads and promos everywhere. I just hope the music improves. :D

I think the ad is alright for the average home consumer. Although, the business consumer is the one they are going to have the hardest time to convince, and I don't think this persuades them one bit :p.

I don't even want to get started about govt and businesses that don't want to even go to Windows 7. My school district in which I work had been downgrading from 7 to XP up until just a couple months ago. I can't believe my work pc is on windows XP, makes me feel like 12 years outdated....

Don't care for the ad much myself, but I am definitely not the target audience. I think now they are aiming at the Apple users and want to make Windows 8 look like it's more "fun" than a competing Apple product and/or it can do the same thing as the iPad and then some.

I think it will do well with it's target audience and hipster style music. For power users, though, it's just sad. My $100 tablet can play video, Fruit Ninja and has a paint program. Show me more. Without all the glitter and music.

That TV commercial does a GREAT job demonstrating the capabilities and bling and usability targeted for the 8 years old pictured playing Angy Brids and using MS Paint....how about showing us people who use a computer for actual work, and not just dicking around, why they should poney up?

That TV commercial does a GREAT job demonstrating the capabilities and bling and usability targeted for the 8 years old pictured playing Angy Brids and using MS Paint....how about showing us people who use a computer for actual work, and not just dicking around, why they should poney up?

People who use desktops for work aren't going to 'pony up' regardless, 98% of Windows users get Windows with a new PC. It's the tablet market MS should be advertising too, and people who use tablets instead of PCs, which I think this commercial does. The commercial itself, seems no better or worse than most others, imo.

I see Apple bring back the "Hi, I'm PC. I'm Mac" commercials.

They should.... Microsoft has given than a golden opportunity to slaughter the consumer perception of another Windows release, they'd be foolish not to...

and yea, this ad is trash.... Windows 8 is already up against really bad press and expectations, Microsoft really needs to address and dispel myths with its ads.... not have countless quick clips of people smiling and jumping around being played along with the worst kinds of music imaginable in the background...

They should.... Microsoft has given than a golden opportunity to slaughter the consumer perception of another Windows release, they'd be foolish not to...

and yea, this ad is trash.... Windows 8 is already up against really bad press and expectations, Microsoft really needs to address and dispel myths with its ads.... not have countless quick clips of people smiling and jumping around being played along with the worst kinds of music imaginable in the background...

And what would you put in a 30 second ad that does as Microsoft 'needs' to do? The debate over UIs is way too complicated, it's not simply 'X is good because of Y' and you're done, you could literally argue about it forever so Microsoft is never going to dispel the myths. An ad for Windows should keep the viewer entertained with fast action, energy, and a positive message, or at least that works imo. Trying to end a debate which has been had by thousands of people for months in 30 seconds is impossible.

I see Apple bring back the "Hi, I'm PC. I'm Mac" commercials.

I don't even think they will have to advertize. Most people who have looked at it on my laptop with win 8 say its ugly and don't like the interface. First reactions to it are not overly positive.

Horrible advertisement for a horrible Os. Apple is going to eat this up.

Excellent commercial. Considering Microsoft's general failures in marketing (and only winning by default), someone in their marketing department is starting to "get it." For the people here who are whining and complaining, you obviously do not.

People who use desktops for work aren't going to 'pony up' regardless, 98% of Windows users get Windows with a new PC. It's the tablet market MS should be advertising too, and people who use tablets instead of PCs, which I think this commercial does. The commercial itself, seems no better or worse than most others, imo.

Except most of the things they highlight are UI things that while cool looking and neat for a demo...and are terrifically pointless for anything other than dicking around. Everyone knows you can watch a video on a tablet or play Pong or do finger painting...it does nothing to sell why you should bother with a Win8 tablet instead of an Android tab or an iPad. Absofracking nothing.

The commercial is a terrific example of the style over substance side of marketing. Flash a bunch of FRAPS videos in front of someone interspersed with a few vids of the space shuttle taking off, with some heavy music going on...and hope no one notices what exactly they just watched.

i feel dumb just watching that. ms is definitely trying to attract the typical brain dead apple hipster. i will be sticking with win 7 no reason to upgrade or in this case dumb down.

Excellent commercial. Considering Microsoft's general failures in marketing (and only winning by default), someone in their marketing department is starting to "get it." For the people here who are whining and complaining, you obviously do not.

Likes to dislikes on YouTube are running 15 to 1.

Except most of the things they highlight are UI things that while cool looking and neat for a demo...and are terrifically pointless for anything other than dicking around. Everyone knows you can watch a video on a tablet or play Pong or do finger painting...it does nothing to sell why you should bother with a Win8 tablet instead of an Android tab or an iPad. Absofracking nothing.

The commercial is a terrific example of the style over substance side of marketing. Flash a bunch of FRAPS videos in front of someone interspersed with a few vids of the space shuttle taking off, with some heavy music going on...and hope no one notices what exactly they just watched.

So everyone has touch screen laptops and desktops and hybrid tablet/laptop devices? What this commercial is pointing out is all of the different kinds of hardware that Windows 8 can run on and that all can support touch. There are no Android or iOS laptops and desktops while Android devices and iPads can be docked that doesn't turn them into fully functional laptops.

I used 7 for awhile and thought it was alright, after using Ubuntu throughout the Vista years. I even started a Steam account to get with the times instead of purchasing physical discs. However, messing with the Windows 8 beta made me switch back to Ubuntu. I prolly would ride out Win 8 if it weren't for the fact that the linux version of Steam is coming soon.

It's a sad day when I would rather use Unity as my desktop interface than the bizarre way Microsoft redid Windows.

Strange, I feel the same way about Apple and Android commercials. Doesn't seem to hurt them. Like I told someone above, you can't fit the Windows 8 experience in 30 seconds, if you could it would not be a good OS..

So everyone has touch screen laptops and desktops and hybrid tablet/laptop devices? What this commercial is pointing out is all of the different kinds of hardware that Windows 8 can run on and that all can support touch. There are no Android or iOS laptops and desktops while Android devices and iPads can be docked that doesn't turn them into fully functional laptops.

The same can be said for Win8 hybrids:

You can't use it strictly as a tablet because you're going to have to fumble about with the desktop interface, which is certainly not recommended or enjoyable with a touch-based input.

Then there's the price...

I don't quite understand how a majority of the posters here in this thread think that the $1.5b spent on advertising only went to this add? "OMG NO BUSINESS ORIENTATION IT SUCKS MS FAILED LOL"

Jeese, and just so everyone is up to date on how MS advertises their products, they usually spend very little on their professional software to the masses, they do however advertise to big corporations.

Why would anyone in charge of supplying software to their company base their purchasing decision on a commercial? These comments are laughable!

Hmmm. Hate to break it to you but I bought a Touchpad and a foldout bluetooth keyboard folio for a 1st generation iPad 2 years ago that turned my bizzarro not-supported WebOS device into a fully functional laptop. Try again.

And most people commenting on and liking videos haven't gotten out of middle school yet.

I really don't get comments like these. It seems as though many people that don't like Windows 8 don't because it's for "kids and retards". As though Windows has to be complex and totally focused on productivity and that anything to make it more fun is just garbage.

You can't use it strictly as a tablet because you're going to have to fumble about with the desktop interface, which is certainly not recommended or enjoyable with a touch-based input.

If you run Metro apps you pretty much never have to touch the desktop.

Strange, I feel the same way about Apple and Android commercials. Doesn't seem to hurt them. Like I told someone above, you can't fit the Windows 8 experience in 30 seconds, if you could it would not be a good OS..

Actually it would be an awesome OS. "Here's an OS that runs the shit you want to run and stays out of your way while you do". done :p

Hmmm. Hate to break it to you but I bought a Touchpad and a foldout bluetooth keyboard folio for a 1st generation iPad 2 years ago that turned my bizzarro not-supported WebOS device into a fully functional laptop. Try again.

So you could run Office, AutoCAD, Photophop, Eclipse, Visual Studio, etc. locally and use an external mouse with those setups? Just adding a keyboard doesn't turn a iPad on Android tablet into a fully functional laptop.

Interesting opinion. I'm curious, on what criteria do you judge of it a 'horrible OS'?

Lots of things I am beyond getting into here. If you want to know, feel free to search the threads where heartlessun and myself went back and forth extensively. I have used Win 8 since the Dev preview and pretty much hated it the entire time. Considering this is coming from someone who has fully loved every Windows version post XP, that is saying quite a bit. I have little desire to get into any further debate on Win 8, the only reason I bothered responding to your post was the obvious ignorance in it on the educated debates we have had here for months.

Actually it would be an awesome OS. "Here's an OS that runs the shit you want to run and stays out of your way while you do". done :p

Ah yes, because THAT will stem the flow of asinine and impertinent criticisms.. I'm sure MS always outsources it's commercial production to the same commercial studio houses everyone else does, yet every MS commercial sucks, isn't right somehow, or is for retarded people, or whatever. Basically people will attack anything related to MS, no matter what, because they are too successful at something considered more important (by the critics ironically) than any other technology: Desktop OSes.

So you could run Office, AutoCAD, Photophop, Eclipse, Visual Studio, etc. locally and use an external mouse with those setups? Just adding a keyboard doesn't turn a iPad on Android tablet into a fully functional laptop.

Office equivalents? Sure. A la QuickOfficePro.

As for the rest...all would run like absolute shit on the CPUs/GPUs/etc on current tablets. As in stab me with a spoon level of running like shit.

I really don't get comments like these. It seems as though many people that don't like Windows 8 don't because it's for "kids and retards". As though Windows has to be complex and totally focused on productivity and that anything to make it more fun is just garbage.

not for "kids and retards" but for touch screens. not a snigle mouse was used in the commercial.

Lots of things I am beyond getting into here. If you want to know, feel free to search the threads where heartlessun and myself went back and forth extensively. I have used Win 8 since the Dev preview and pretty much hated it the entire time. Considering this is coming from someone who has fully loved every Windows version post XP, that is saying quite a bit. I have little desire to get into any further debate on Win 8, the only reason I bothered responding to your post was the obvious ignorance in it on the educated debates we have had here for months.

Your 'horrible OS' comment was a reply to me? Because it is not even barely related to anything I said before it appeared. And if that's how you feel, I will say, I have already shown it's not ignorance, and it's actually you who espouses ignorance many times in many threads here.

I agree with a previous post- find it interested they only show touch screens interacting with Win 8.

Back