Today is World Standards Day

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Today we pause and celebrate World Standards Day with parties, parades and speeches. Actually we don’t, but probably should since we would not be using computers or the Internet without multiple sets of standards to make all of the gizmos and doodads all work together harmoniously. :D

About 80 percent of global commerce, or $13 trillion in economic activity each year, has some connection with standards, according to Joe Bhatia, president and CEO of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).

A shout out to my buddies, ISO 13485, ISO 14971 and 21CFR part 820.

The latter is technically more of a law, but still a standard...

Good lord, they have a day for everything. :rolleyes:

When is "Day Appreciation Day" suppose to happen?

Its kind of odd that we can create starddards for pretty much everything tech related. Yet we live in a world where Trillions can be billions and billions millions. and millions can be separted by colons or points.

And don't get me started on the metric system.

Its kind of odd that we can create starddards for pretty much everything tech related. Yet we live in a world where Trillions can be billions and billions millions. and millions can be separted by colons or points.

Yes, does Americans have a problem pronouncing the word Milliard (as opposed to Billion), or is it to make it sound like more, big great US where 1.000.000.000 is 1,000,000,000,000 :D

But atleast the US has started using Celsius more often instead of Fahrenheit, in the old days [H]ardOCP used Fahrenheit, but switched to Celsius instead :)

You - of course - must mean how the metric system and SI units is the most beautiful thing to ever happen to science/engineering disciplines in th ehistory of humanity, and how it's such a shame that we as a nation can't get our acts together and start properly using it instead of this imperial unit junk?

Fuck you British Thermal Unit. Fuck you long and fuck you hard! :p

Yes, does Americans have a problem pronouncing the word Milliard (as opposed to Billion), or is it to make it sound like more, big great US where 1.000.000.000 is 1,000,000,000,000 :D

But atleast the US has started using Celsius more often instead of Fahrenheit, in the old days [H]ardOCP used Fahrenheit, but switched to Celsius instead :)

We can still pronounce Milliard, but we don't need it because the word, billion, is the correct usage.

Zarathustra[H];1039232214 said:
You - of course - must mean how the metric system and SI units is the most beautiful thing to ever happen to science/engineering disciplines in th ehistory of humanity, and how it's such a shame that we as a nation can't get our acts together and start properly using it instead of this imperial unit junk?

Fuck you British Thermal Unit. Fuck you long and fuck you hard! :p

Although the metric system is convenient for keeping track of units, the magnitude of the units including derived ones is ridiculous at times.

Unless you're doing coke, who uses the grams at home? The meter is too big to describe anything accurately around the house unless you start using a decimal point. The decimeter is too big for fine measurement, so you have to go down to the cm which is maybe ok but a bit too small at times.

Although the metric system is convenient for keeping track of units, the magnitude of the units including derived ones is ridiculous at times.

Unless you're doing coke, who uses the grams at home? The meter is too big to describe anything accurately around the house unless you start using a decimal point. The decimeter is too big for fine measurement, so you have to go down to the cm which is maybe ok but a bit too small at times.

The decimeter is actually less commonly used.

Most skip directly from mm to cm to m.

So, the decimeter is too large, and the centimeter is too small, but the inch is just right? :p

Sounds like a matter of what you are used to more than anything else.

Typical school ruler is 12" or 30cm. Really doesn't make much of a difference either way you look at it, but metric/SI units make life so much easier for unit conversion that it is worth going metric by leaps and bounds, even if it takes some getting used to at first.

I celebrated World Standards day by not celebrating at all. I practiced a standard calendar day, just like any other day...

I know about nanometers and picometers, but I've never heard about nanoinch and picoinch. :p

Next up, Intel's new 8 nanoinch processor :D

Yeah cause water freezing at 32 of something and boiling at 212 of the same measurement "system" makes a ton of sense vs 0 and 100.

I know I enjoyed Troy McClure's "Here Comes the Metric System" when I was in school.

But really who decided those numbers they are so random?

Back