Kindle Customers: There’s an Antitrust Refund Incoming

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
An anti-trust settlement case has been made and Kindle customers who purchased ebooks between April 2010 and May 2012 are eligible for account credit. The $69M settlement will be handed out to customers from a two year period based on the number of individual ebooks purchased.

The settlements themselves are still yet to be approved by the Court, Amazon warns, something which isn’t expected until February 8, 2013.

Check you mailboxes people, there will be a sweet check for the amount of $0.37 with your name on it.

Check you mailboxes people, there will be a sweet check for the amount of $0.37 with your name on it.

And each letter/check probably cost them $5 to send.

I heard a stand-up comedian talk about the stimulus check we got a few years back. He said it cost 37 million just to send the letters to everyone that said our stimulus checks were in the mail. (If a stand-up comedian said it, then it must be true )

Bureaucracy is awesome.

Actually the settlement should only be for a store credit ... not a cash settlement ... that's why it was considered win/win ... the consumer gets some money back, but in a form that they have to spend with the company that gave it to them ... also, they won't actually pay the settlement until the competing lawsuits against Apple and the other publishers are resolved (so it could be years before we see the credits) ;)

Works for me, got something like 200+ books on my kindle over the years affected. That should add up ;)

I'll be opting out of the settlement.

It is not the job of the state to set prices. If you do not like the price they charge, do not buy it.

And each letter/check probably cost them $5 to send.

I heard a stand-up comedian talk about the stimulus check we got a few years back. He said it cost 37 million just to send the letters to everyone that said our stimulus checks were in the mail. (If a stand-up comedian said it, then it must be true )

Bureaucracy is awesome.

They did not use physical mail. They stuck with email for all those who have kindle's registered.

Works for me, got something like 200+ books on my kindle over the years affected. That should add up ;)

Yup, between the wife and my purchases, were are looking at a pretty good refund per person. At least enough to buy several new ebooks now for each of us.

Between the wife and I we should get a decent check...I think we're at around ~300 books.

Back