ok now i'm impressed

D4rkn3ss

2[H]4U
ok now i'm impressed

will try to keep it short: got the flu; all cozy and safe inside the house; no booze; kinda bored with nothing to do = lets try windows 8 on the netbook!

the little thingy specs are: acer aspire 1410 (11.6" 1366x768), celeron 743 @ 1,3ghz, 2gb @ 800mhz C6, GS45 chipset and a 250gb 5400rpm hd, all default, i bought it a few years ago for the solely purpose of reading .pdf books in bed and reading recipes in the kitchen (there were no tablets those days, at least not good enough lol)

so.. quick backup, reboot with 8prox64 on a pendrive, purge all (7 & ubuntu) and select install, few minutes later im on the "welcome" screen/config options.. pass through that, i activate the win and install framework 3.5, directx and a few updates, remove all metro apps and do a quick run on all options, set swap fixed in 4096, restart and install drivers, restart again (and maybe again..)..

do final tweaks on all apps installed, clean disk and registry, restart, go to task manager and close all that is not essencial and do a defrag, it takes a looong time (friggin 5400 nb hd..)... done, restart and...

oh my.. jesus, this thing IS FAST omg, for a win system? fast! unbelievable fast and ALL FRIGGIN CUTE! metro? fucking metro is unbelievable GOOD on a little machine, a-lot-better than the star menu, because IS BIG and very easy and faster to acess all those apps on that fucking touchpad thingy, shit!

conclusion: im all happy, it feels like a brand new toy, metro is annoying on the desktop (i got kinda used though) but for note/netbooks? metro is king!

and yes, it is kinda useless to post this (personal opinion), i should be happy with myself and fuck all but.. ok, now i'm impressed, i HAD to say something.

good job MS goons, finally! (i still want blood for those fucking three years of fucking windows 7 but.. humm.. :rolleyes: :D).

What you are experiencing has nothing to do with Metro. Windows 8 is designed to suspend applications to free up CPU cycles and give back memory. 8 also suspends the kernel into hibernation so that the boot times are faster.

8 simply down scales down on low end hardware better than 7 does, so no doubt it's a good OS choice for a machine like yours.

What you are experiencing has nothing to do with Metro. Windows 8 is designed to suspend applications to free up CPU cycles and give back memory. 8 also suspends the kernel into hibernation so that the boot times are faster.

8 simply down scales down on low end hardware better than 7 does, so no doubt it's a good OS choice for a machine like yours.

You must have missed the part where he said accessing programs using the trackpad was much easier on the start screen than the start menu ;)

My Win 95 / 98 / Xp / 7 machines all ran like beasts with clean installs, purge of unwanted apps, fixed page files etc. But hey, I love Win7 and dont see myself trying win8 unless I needed to reinstall for some reason.

Not knocking you, not at all. But thanks for sharing :D

@Tsumi: yeah trackpad, not touchpad (duh :p)

@Enrage: yeah i've been around pcs longer than that and all ran the same indifferently of use, last BSOD that i had that i can remember was on winserver 2003 in 2005 because i did something that i know would fuck all on purpose. everyone that i know that develop professional software for a living hates windows 7 because we all understand how much of a pig of a job that shitty OS was, it can run things alright but is not "elegant".

im using 8 for about two months on the gaming toy in my sig, first i purged 7 and installed on the 600gb raptor, sure it was fast but what isnt on this system, two weeks later it went to the ssd, even faster but then again...

the point of this is: i installed on a single core celeron with a single ddr2 stick and a shitty 5400rpm notebook hd and, oh my... i guess theyve been busy at MS ;)

.. hmm just got out of bed and im still all screw up with this goddamn flu...

Back