Apple Pays Up for Swiss Railway Clock Design

HardOCP News

[H] News
Whether or not you like Apple's "take whatever we want" approach to things, you have to admit, it usually ends up working.

"For the use of the clockface on certain Apple devices such as iPads and iPhones, the parties have negotiated an arrangement that enables Apple to use the SBB station clock under a license agreement," SBB said on Friday. The cost of the licensing fee and further detail of the agreement will remain confidential.

Too bad this wasn't Amtrac. It would have brought them out of the red... for once. I'm glad the Swiss stuck to their guns on this (no pun intended).

I hate this shit...just goes to show the scumbaggery of Apple and definitely proves they're hypocrites...suing everyone for copying this or that when they themselves are thieves and ADMITTED it here!

Man, I try to stay off the "Hate Apple" bandwagon...but they just make it too easy to do and too hard not too!

Fuck Apple!

That clock design is licensed out to a lot of other companies, Apple is just doing what it should have in the first place: pay the licensing fee.

That clock design is licensed out to a lot of other companies, Apple is just doing what it should have in the first place: pay the licensing fee.

in some manners it might have that somehow apple knew they won't be able to get it, so just get it and we'll work on things later on, might end up costing them little more but they get it none the less.

if the agreement is for just cash, than the win is not the best they could have gotten. now paying fees every month/year depending on how many ipods/iphones/ipads they sold, than they are in for a treat.

If it's a continual payout based on number of devices in the field, look forward to having Apple change the clock on the next revision or iOS7 - IMHO. They aren't going to want to be subsidising the Swiss railroad for very long.

next up in iOS7 -- a totally new, magical, innovative, clock that was kept so secret, even steve jobs didn't know about it....

Apple steals just like any other corporation that's worth hundreds of billions of dollars. Because they can, and can easily get away with it.

apple paying for something????

I would've thought they'd design their own clock face- a square clock with rounded corners.
Don't they have that shit on patent lockdown?

"Apple won a sweeping legal victory in August when a U.S. jury found Samsung Electronics had copied critical features of the iPad and iPhone."

Rounded edges are critical!

I hate this shit...just goes to show the scumbaggery of Apple and definitely proves they're hypocrites...suing everyone for copying this or that when they themselves are thieves and ADMITTED it here!

Man, I try to stay off the "Hate Apple" bandwagon...but they just make it too easy to do and too hard not too!

Fuck Apple!

No, you're just easy to anger. They do it because they know they'll get you all riled up.

"Apple won a sweeping legal victory in August when a U.S. jury found Samsung Electronics had copied critical features of the iPad and iPhone."

Rounded edges are critical!

So are misinformed (deliberately or otherwise) readers. Critical!

I don't get how that's trademarked... a series of lines and smaller ones in between every 5 minute mark? Shit my cheap ass Timex I have does that, did they pay a license fee for it? Or the fact there is a red second hand? I've seen that on watches for ages too, my current one is silver though. Looking at the design looks like it would have simply been easier to remove the round part at the other end of the second hand, and blammo, we're not "copying"

I don't get how that's trademarked... Looking at the design looks like it would have simply been easier to remove the round part at the other end of the second hand, and blammo, we're not "copying"

Apple copied the design exactly. They didn't change anything. Compare that with Apple's claims that anything rectangular with rounded corners can't be used by Samsung.

10:15 AM/PM (for example)

I've found this format works great for me...

:cool:

Fuck Apple!

Yes, its so evil for Apple to take and use a SEVENTY YEAR OLD DESIGN. The real tragedy here is that they had to pay for SEVENTY YEAR OLD ART.

Yes, its so evil for Apple to take and use a SEVENTY YEAR OLD DESIGN. The real tragedy here is that they had to pay for SEVENTY YEAR OLD ART.
Your argument makes no sense in its present form, could you please try to elaborate on it?

No, the real tragedy is that they couldn't invent something better so they had to steal something that was SEVENTY YEARS OLD.

Also, see: Braun.

Apple is the spoiled kid on the playground who grabs the ball and says it's his when everyone else is trying to play a game. They don't care what the facts are, if they want it, it will be theirs. Damn everyone else.

If Apple's the ball-snatching meanie, are you the kid crying to himself in the corner?

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/12...e-of-her-photo-to-promote-the-retina-display/

TFA said:
Liewald claims that when Apple approached her agency (Factory Downtown) to request a high-resolution version of the photo, the company had said the image would only be used for “layout purposes” (AKA “comping“) and not in any advertising campaign.

The photographer was then surprised when Apple did exactly what it said it wouldn’t do.

Basically just more of the same bullshit from Apple.

I don't see the significance here. The real shame is that Apple isn't just using digital numbers. In their attempt to be stylish or something, they make people have to tell time on a pretty much useless looking circle rather than just displaying it like everyone else does. I know it's supposed to be trendy and unique, but I have enough trouble with digital clocks. Those stupid circular ones are like phones that have a crank on the side...really old and really useless.

I don't get how that's trademarked... a series of lines and smaller ones in between every 5 minute mark? Shit my cheap ass Timex I have does that, did they pay a license fee for it? Or the fact there is a red second hand? I've seen that on watches for ages too, my current one is silver though. Looking at the design looks like it would have simply been easier to remove the round part at the other end of the second hand, and blammo, we're not "copying"

2012-10-12-image-3.jpghttp:

What worries me is that companies feel flattered when Apple steals trom them. Sure they still take legal action, but it is worrisome...

Can you imagine being flattered by someone stealing your property?

What worries me is that companies feel flattered when Apple steals trom them. Sure they still take legal action, but it is worrisome...

Can you imagine being flattered by someone stealing your property?

I'd be pretty much awestruck if someone stole my car or my Compaq from me. That's sort of like being flattered.

Back