High Tech License Plate Frame Beats Red-Light Cameras

What about false positives? Is it possible to have your license plate fucking flashing because a headlight hits it or some shit?

Why can't you just bathe the plate in constant infrared light that buggers with CMOS cameras?

Haha. Man this is gonna make people stick out like a sore thumb to the actual cops.

Also, it might not take too long for the states to change their laws to make it illegal ... a radar detector is illegal in some states and it doesn't do anything other than detect stuff ... also, if they see cars using this in locations repeatedly they might just wait for you ;)

Isn't this our very own cp3? Dude's name is "Jonathan Dandrow", and Genmay always called him John.

I always considered speed tickets as a voluntary taxation.
Want to be taxed? Speed on the road.
I keep my speeding for the track, where it is much more fun anyways, and i respect speed limits on the road... you rarely gain much time by speeding anyways... save a couple red lights, you gained what? 5 minutes? woop dee fuc*ing doo.

On the other hand, im glad the other guys are speeding. That way they dont have to come get that money thru regular taxes.

why would i want to waste money on something like this instead of just not running a red light? do people really find it that hard to obey that law?

I always considered speed tickets as a voluntary taxation.
Want to be taxed? Speed on the road.
I keep my speeding for the track, where it is much more fun anyways, and i respect speed limits on the road... you rarely gain much time by speeding anyways... save a couple red lights, you gained what? 5 minutes? woop dee fuc*ing doo.

On the other hand, im glad the other guys are speeding. That way they dont have to come get that money thru regular taxes.

That applies to red lights too, cant edit the original one.

isnt there a cheaper method, i thought there was some kind of paint that causes the plate to be unreadable if a camera flashes.

I got hit by 2 speed cameras in AZ 5 or 6 years ago. Cost me about $600. Some state hwy that went from 65-25... this would have been great. I went in on 1

Um

Any technology that interferes with police tools and equipment is illegal

In this case, any technology that interferes with the reading of a license plate is illegal, this applies to all of canada, states, and europe

Cute idea, but still illegal

We don't have red light cameras here and personally I think they are BS because if cops want to catch people well they should be out actually catching them. But that said, I think people should just follow the law and they wont have to worry about the cameras.

Though the downside with the cameras is it does make it easier for the government to track your every move. They only use them to catch people not obeying the law, but how far will they go in the future?

I've always thought radar detectors were overkill, and seeing this is just ridiculous.

It won't work anyway.
During daylight hours, the flash would be indistinguishable from the sun, meaning it wouldn't fire.
At night, the lag between the flash firing, the plate detecting it (and processing the incoming images to make sure it's not a headlight or the sun) and the built-in strobes firing would mean that the plate would flash long after the camera's shutter had already closed.

Using IR LEDs to bathe the plate in IR light (or to flood the camera with IR light) won't work either, as they typically use off-the-shelf cameras (Nikon DSLRs, I believe) which all have IR blocking filters installed. And if it's the plate you're bathing in IR light you're just helping the flash do it's job - the letters/numbers on the plate don't reflect IR in the same way they don't reflect regular light.

Oh yeah, and it's illegal anyway.

Mythbusters tested a bunch of these "plate camera tools". None of them worked.
They should add this to their testing.

I prefer to beat tickets the old fashioned way: by not driving in a way that would earn me a ticket. It's a lot cheaper than gimmicky quack devices.

You could always just stop at red lights. It will block 100% of red light cameras, and it's free!

Hah, there's a red light camera right at the intersection to the grocery store across the street from me, and it will sit there flashing pictures of everyone making the right hand turn into the grocery store. All day long - FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH. I've been flashed 50+ times by that thing since they put it in ~6 months ago. Haven't gotten a ticket in the mail yet, so I guess while it's taking pictures they at least know enough not to send them out.

It's merely funny during the day, but at night it's a road hazard to have this thing strobing oncoming traffic repeatedly...

I got hit by 2 speed cameras in AZ 5 or 6 years ago. Cost me about $600. Some state hwy that went from 65-25... this would have been great. I went in on 1

There was an entire town (New Rome, OH) that existed for exactly this purpose: setting ridiculously low speed limits on US Route 40 just outside Columbus Ohio. It was eventually dissolved by the state attorney general a few years ago because it provided no public services or benefits, other than sustaining a small local police department that existed solely to ticket unwary motorists that didn't see the sudden speed limit change upon entering New Rome (and the residents, all 60 of them, made sure the signs were usually obscured).

Only New Rome has been dissolved...but it doesn't mean myriad other police departments don't maintain their own toll-ways/revenue corridors.

Speed limits of any kind should be restricted to towns/cities and surface/residential streets. Main highways should be free to move at the speed traffic dictates IMNSHO.

I see cops driving their 10-20 year old crown vics at ludicrous speeds (considering their performance characteristics) all the time. It's a good thing they've got sirens and lights to let everyone else know to get out of the way, because if they actually had to stop/swerve/avoid anything, they'd wreck.
I have far better control and shorter stopping distances in my M3 at 100mph than a cop in a crown vic has at 65mph.

It won't work in Houston.

I've gotten a ticket and while yes it does take a high resolution picture, it also takes video footage both front and back that is decent enough to read the plate unless they are just crazy lazy.

I love how that video the words FREEDOM and PRIVACY went across it. Really? So being able to run a red light is akin to freedom? and you should have the privacy of not being caught if you do?

I love how that video the words FREEDOM and PRIVACY went across it. Really? So being able to run a red light is akin to freedom? and you should have the privacy of not being caught if you do?

Isn't anarchy and lawlessness the highest form of freedom :D ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyxLGSMtqtM (either that or they are Judas Priest fans :p ) ... BREAKING THE LAW ... BREAKING THE LAW :cool:

You could always just stop at red lights. It will block 100% of red light cameras, and it's free!
This is probably more about people going through yellow lights that turn red while you're passing through the intersection. This could easily land you a ticket in the mail. Not all places have the yellow light at the same speed, so it's tricky.

I've always thought radar detectors were overkill, and seeing this is just ridiculous.

Eh, not so much. Some cities have some absolutely horrendous speed traps that the cops sit at. Whether they were designed to confuse drivers or not, I don't know. But I have seen some where you think that the engineer who designed the road was a complete moron. Cops regularly sit at these types of things in packs as it's an easy ticket.

This is probably more about people going through yellow lights that turn red while you're passing through the intersection. This could easily land you a ticket in the mail. Not all places have the yellow light at the same speed, so it's tricky.

This, as well. Some streets will have different yellow-light times within one light of eachother. I think that is something that really should be standardized.

I've seen some yellows that sit for 7-10 seconds, other that take 2-3 seconds.

why would i want to waste money on something like this instead of just not running a red light? do people really find it that hard to obey that law?

have you not noticed that they have gutted our constitutional rights, or do you not care

this tech is NOT about red light tickets, it is about your every movement going in to big brother's database

this they need a law that says all yellow lights need to be x time. some lights(all the ones that have the cameras) have a very short yellow time and i hate driving going though them as people see the light turn yellow and slam on there brakes causing lots of wrecks.

have you not noticed that they have gutted our constitutional rights, or do you not care

this tech is NOT about red light tickets, it is about your every movement going in to big brother's database

I must have missed that day in Civics class, which clause of the constitution does the red light camera violate again ;)

If "Big Brother" really wanted to track your every movement he wouldn't just put the cameras on red lights but on every other light pole ... we actually have much less surveillance in the USA than they do in the UK ... these databases look great on NCIS LA but I suspect the reality is far less advanced :cool:

Check out my new plate man. Cool!

One week later:
Crash. Kill some kid and his mom.

I guess no one in this thread lives in a city where:

-Red light is installed
-Yellow timer is halved
-Other street on road has zero traffic, yet the light changes to it every 2min regardless of time of day.

Red light cameras are all about profit, has nothing to do with "safety". Fuck Red Flex Systems.

I will never understand people who behave like idiots on the road. Nice, you saved 30 seconds in travel time at the risk of 100's of people's lives!! Good job!!!

Back