Developers Warned Apple About Maps Quality

HardOCP News

[H] News
Does this story really come as a surprise to anyone?

"I posted at least one doomsayer rant after each (developer) beta, and I wasn't alone," a developer with three iOS apps in the App Store told CNET. "The mood amongst the developers seemed to be that the maps were so shockingly bad that reporting individual problems was futile. What was needed wasn't so much an interface for reporting a single point as incorrect, but for selecting an entire region and saying 'all of this -- it's wrong.'"

Not surprising. Engineers told Stevie that the iPhone 4 antenna was shit too and he ignored it. If Jobs was still around there never would have been an apology for the completely awful Apple Maps.

There's also the whole brouhaha about the iPhone 5 camera now. Apple's answer is to use your hand to block the light source? Seriously? At some point all the bullshit they spew will start to drive people away no matter how magical a device is.

Kinda OT, but i'm kinda curious. How does Googles 3D map work? I've heard you can use their 3D modeling tool to create buildings that you can then put on google maps. Does apples map application have the same capability?

I know its childish of me but man I'm getting a kick out of this little debacle. I know they'll still sell iPhones faster than they can make them but it is nice to see their stupid strong arm BS backfire on them for once.

Just like the engineers warned the board about the antenna problem in the version of iPhone 4 they decided to go with, out of the choice of three designs, they picked the cheapest and crappiest.

This combined with the patent trolling (they have a patent on stairs of all bloody things, your two story house technically breaches their patent, although prior art of the last 2-3000 years should have prevented this patent from even being passed), and trying to become the only smart phone provider, encouraged me to dump the one and only product I bought from them.

Not surprising. Engineers told Stevie that the iPhone 4 antenna was shit too and he ignored it. If Jobs was still around there never would have been an apology for the completely awful Apple Maps.

There's also the whole brouhaha about the iPhone 5 camera now. Apple's answer is to use your hand to block the light source? Seriously? At some point all the bullshit they spew will start to drive people away no matter how magical a device is.

Maybe the Jimi Hendrix estate should sue - purple haze, or mayeb they were goin gto use his song in ads

What's new? Engineers/developers tell those in charge that X isn't ready or Y is broken and they get released anyway because they feel it's better to release than delay.

21661839.jpg

we can do far better then that
145yra.jpg

Back