AMD Z-Series APU Sets the Bar for Windows 8 Tablets

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD announced its latest entry in the performance tablet and small form factor PC market with the AMD Z-60 Accelerated Processing Unit (APU). The AMD Z-60 is AMD’s lowest power APU, delivering unprecedented performance and AMD AllDay™ power for tablet form factors as thin as 10mm. A compelling combination of features, stunning graphics, support for the latest Microsoft Windows® 8 applications and user interfaces, as well as compatibility with Windows® 7 and the full-suite of legacy Windows applications, makes the AMD Z-60 APU an ideal solution for a range of designs.

did you mean 10mm?

whats odd is their z-cache they mentioned 3-4 years ago that I'm not sure ever came to light. I wonder if this is somehow related.

cool stuff.

Wonder how it will fair against the Arm and Tegra products, as well as other SOC chips. 80 Radeon cores is quite a-lot for 4.5 watt TDP!

too bad no one is using it.

everyone has gone with intel or arm. AMD is left to pick up the scraps.

whats odd is their z-cache they mentioned 3-4 years ago that I'm not sure ever came to light. I wonder if this is somehow related.
Z-RAM was licensed by AMD and GLF, but AMD and GLF still have no plans to use it. On SOI I read on a technical board that it never worked in actual manufacturing.

The company behind it, Innovative Silicon, developed a bulk Si version and found more licensees, but went out of business 2 years ago and now Micron owns the patents to it.

tl;dr
AMD never made any products with Z-RAM.

------

On topic, if the 4.5W Z series CPU based tablets can get good battery life (8 hours+), it might do OK. But it's hard to see how they can beat 1W SoC Atoms in the battery life department. The last time AMD trimmed down Bobcat CPUs to fit in the power envelope (1GHz), the CPU performance was barely higher than the 3.5W (CPU+SB) Atoms. Faster GPUs on a Z-Series CPU would be nice though, even if it requires a battery life trade-off.

Yea, AMD's chip isn't an SoC either, so you've got to add another watt or so of additional power coming from the WiFi and fusion hub controller. It definitely won't match them in battery life.

You're going to have quite a bit of trouble running any worthy desktop applications with a 1Ghz Brazos. It's like a netbook, but worse

Back