Alpenföhn Gotthard Heatpipe HSF

HardOCP News

[H] News
Looking for a more compact cooler for your next PC build? There is a review of the Alpenföhn Gotthard Heatpipe HSF at Vortez today that should be right up your alley.

Gotthard is the second top-flow design CPU cooler in Alpenföhn product range. It features a three heatsink design, six copper heatpipes and a single 140mm Wing Boost cooling fan. Gotthard has the makings for a very effective cooling solution and it can support a plethora of CPU sockets but how will it cope with the high-end LGA2011 and Sandy Bridge-E?

What's a "Alpenföhn Gotthard"? Do I need one of those?

Alpenföhn is Alpen fan in English, they're a company that's been around for a little while. They like coating fans in rubber, and are pretty decent (well the one wing boost I have).

Gotthard is the name of the cooler... and also a first name, but probably named after the place in Switzerland named after Saint Gotthard. :D

What's a "Alpenföhn Gotthard"? Do I need one of those?

It's probably some religious artifact (Gott is God in German). Does anyone really need anything besides the basic means to survive?

It's probably some religious artifact (Gott is God in German). Does anyone really need anything besides the basic means to survive?

Or it could be named after the Gotthard Space Flight Center...

Reviews shows it as nothing special...it looks cool, but aside from that...

Seems to me the reviewer mounted the HSF the wrong way. He should have rotated it 90 deg that way the fluid inside the pipes would flow back down to the baseplate.

The way he had it mounted in the pics seems the fluid would be mostly between the fins and the baseplate. There may not have been any fluid reaching the baseplate.

Last edited:
Seems to me the reviewer mounted the HSF the wrong way. He should have rotated it 90 deg that way the fluid inside the pipes would flow back down to the baseplate.

The way he had it mounted in the pics seems the fluid would be mostly between the fins and the baseplate. There may not have been any fluid reaching the baseplate.

Thats actually a very good possibility. I know that a lot of video card coolers have problems in the FT-02 and RV-02 for the same reason.

Back