Studios Making Another Push For UltraViolet

HardOCP News

[H] News
How does that saying go again? Something about polishing a turd? In this case you'd just end up with an ultraviolet turd.

The film studios' initiative to seed the cloud with movies hasn't caught on yet with consumers. So the push is on to tweak the offering and generate some demand.

Ultraviolet is crap. I refuse to buy any movie with it. It's craptastic DRM shackled to a shiatty interface and program. Stupid companies just wont learn. The pirates have the movies before they go on sale and they punish the paying customers with crap like this.

stupid drm on music finally gave way to unrestricted mp3. Movies need to go the same way.

DRM does nothing but hurt paying customers and inconvenience them, the pirates have no such problems.

If media companies want to beat piracy they need to make their products easily available and cheap. If it's not encumbered with crap and will work with everything and people can download it faster than they can search and torrent it, they will buy it.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn't make it a donut

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn't make it a donut

Or does it?

mmm-donuts.jpg

Mmm___Donuts_by_LiLC00KiE.jpg

Ultraviolet was doomed the moment they allowed for expiry on "digital copies." Buying a new DVD should not mean that the UV copy is unable to be used before you even open the damned packaging.

I'll admit: Initially thought this was an article about the movie Ultraviolet starring Milla...which it too..was a turd.

Ultraviolet is crap. I refuse to buy any movie with it. It's craptastic DRM shackled to a shiatty interface and program. Stupid companies just wont learn. The pirates have the movies before they go on sale and they punish the paying customers with crap like this.

stupid drm on music finally gave way to unrestricted mp3. Movies need to go the same way.

DRM does nothing but hurt paying customers and inconvenience them, the pirates have no such problems.

If media companies want to beat piracy they need to make their products easily available and cheap. If it's not encumbered with crap and will work with everything and people can download it faster than they can search and torrent it, they will buy it.

Totally agree with this. I was loading up digital copies of a few movies I bought a while back, three just had a code you entered into iTunes and it would download the MP4 file. The Ultraviolet copies required me to create an account, download software, and view them in their shitty software. So I never bothered - would be easier to get an illegal copy than get my Ultraviolet working.

Ultraviolet was doomed the moment they allowed for expiry on "digital copies." Buying a new DVD should not mean that the UV copy is unable to be used before you even open the damned packaging.

the whole concept was doomed, their greed got to far in the way.... along with the shitty remake movies

I thought it was going to be a new optical disc standard with higher density than blu ray.

I thought it was going to be a new optical disc standard with higher density than blu ray.

I thought it had something to do with Blu ray too... (as Blu ray uses a violet laser, not blue) so I thought it would be something like a DVD with extra stuff readable when put in a Blu ray player, like HD somethings or other. Then I read what it was and lost interest.

Back