Lian Li PC-Q18

ed_co

n00b
Hello guys,

I am planning to get this case. The only problem I see on it is the cooling solution to use, as I want to get a i7-3770K and do good overclocking on it.
The PC-Q08, can even put a Corsair H60 on it, because it has much more space, as is wider, but I don't like aesthetically. I prefer the PC-Q18 by far...
I need the best solution for OC.

Thanks,

E.

Maybe people can put their rigs and photos here related with that case, and get benefict of the knowledge of them.
Please help!!
Thanks guys.

thats about as small as my lian li case. i have only seen them mounted in the spot where the psu would be and the psu mounted outside of my case.

Even though the hard drive cage is not removable on the PC-Q18, its easy to take a drill to it and make your own holes to remove the divets in the cage. The cage then removes like the PC-Q08. After removing the cage, you can get a larger PSU and H50/H60/H70/H80 in it. I was running an H60 in one of mine.

All you would need is a 4 nuts/bolts to put the cage back if you wanted to.

Nice trungerz. Do you have any thread with photos in order to see your rig?
Or you can post photos here ;).
Please, allow us to see your configuration in order to see how suitable is. Could be really useful for people like me.

Thanks and greetings.

E.

I have this case and I think it's built for storage. There are better cases where you can fit an AIO cooler without modification and do good overclocking.
I'm using a Noctua NH-L12 air cooler in mine and temperature is just decent, not good.

Hello cowsgomoo. Could you please post some photos here of your rig?
Cheers.

Sure. Too much work to take out the PSU to show you the heatsink though.

NoctuaNHL12_height.jpg

It's a push-pull with NH-L12, bottom push top pull, with air being blown towards the PSU.
Top fan of the HSF has to be the Scythe 120mmx12mm slim fan or it won't fit. But single fan configuration should work as well.
I also swapped the direction of the case fans: top intake and front exhaust.

Other specs:
CPU: i5-3570k
mobo: Asrock Z77E-ITX
PSU: SilverStone ST50F-P. This is the only 140mm deep modular PSU for now. I bought the silverstone short cable set for it to reduce clutter.
GPU: GTX260

This isn't mine. Taken from vr-zone forum.
pcq18.jpg

Last edited:
Other specs:
PSU: ST50F-P,. This is the only 140mm deep modular PSU for now. I bought the silverstone short cable set for it to reduce clutter.

It was the only 140mm deep modular PSU. Silverstone just released an updated version, the ST55F-G. Same length of 140mm, but with gold efficiency and slightly higher load capacities.

Silverstone
Newegg

I just posted this in case the OP is interested in getting a short modular PSU

It was the only 140mm deep modular PSU. Silverstone just released an updated version, the ST55F-G. Same length of 140mm, but with gold efficiency and slightly higher load capacities.

Silverstone
Newegg

I just posted this in case the OP is interested in getting a short modular PSU

Looks like the ST65F-G has the same dimensions as well, the 12V rating is really impressive on it. Figure they release these 2 months after I get the ST50F-P.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=350&area=en

Nice photos cowsgomoo. Any other person with their rigs...
This case is beautiful (best I have ever seen) but looks really tight.
The BitFenix Prodigy looks good, but is TOO BIG. Kind of like Silverstone TJ08-E which is micro-ATX.
I don't know what to do... there is nothing out there in mini-itx that convince me against a semitower ATX rig... (the case Corsair Carbide 300R is small, neat, cheap and elegant, besides all the lian li's).
I wish to find a way to do the mini-itx...

You won't find a small case that isn't a bit of a pain to work in, but here are two thoughts, one practical, the other less so.

Have you considered the Fractal Design Node 304? The PSU is not blocking the motherboard, which can make it easier to play around with.

If you've got $300-400 you can also import an Abee case, like the T20R.

Last edited:
If you like tower-shaped ones, SilverStone Sugo SG09 is a good one. Although it's micro-ATX, it's 23 litres, a bit larger than Q18's 21 litres and a lot smaller than Prodigy's 36 litres.
Fits full-sized air coolers, not that sure about AIO water coolers.
Side fans blowing directly at the GPU is going to keep it cool when overclocking.

Also seconding Fractal Design Node 304 at 19 litres. Back fan slot is designed for close-loop water coolers. and it could still fit 4 desktop HDD with the GPU in.

If you like tower-shaped ones, SilverStone Sugo SG09 is a good one. Although it's micro-ATX, it's 23 litres, a bit larger than Q18's 21 litres and a lot smaller than Prodigy's 36 litres.
Fits full-sized air coolers, not that sure about AIO water coolers.
Side fans blowing directly at the GPU is going to keep it cool when overclocking.

Also seconding Fractal Design Node 304 at 19 litres. Back fan slot is designed for close-loop water coolers. and it could still fit 4 desktop HDD with the GPU in.

Prodigy is 26 liters, minus the handles.

I fell in love with the T20R.
It is just 29mm taller than PC-Q18, and far away better in distribution...
Should be great Lian Li, manufacturing something like that... a bigger PC-Q18, PC-Q20 maybe?????
NIce T20R, but the price... is crazy.

Back