Facebook Reads Your Messages And Likes Things For You?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook is checking your private messages and liking things you talk about for you? Say what?

The scanning, which is either an oversight on Facebook's part of a deliberate effort—we're waiting to hear back from FB—increases the Like count for a given page just by you talking about it. Auto-scanning is nothing new: Gmail has done it since day one to serve us ads. But there are serious potential personal consequences here—what if I'm talking about something disgusting, loathsome, and offensive with a friend? Do I want Facebook to automatically chalk that up as a Like? No. And I doubt you do either.

Similar to how my wife will google something like magic mike on my laptop and then I get adds for male strippers from google adds.

Similar to how my wife will google something like magic mike on my laptop and then I get adds for male strippers from google adds.

No, its more like your wife googles magic mike and your mom gets a email from "your wife" saying hey try out these strippers.

Facebook begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

Facebook fights back.

what if I'm talking about something disgusting, loathsome, and offensive with a friend? Do I want Facebook to automatically chalk that up as a Like? No. And I doubt you do either.

It goes even further then that and would in fact create an issue similar to the one Google had awhile back where a ton of negative reviews would actually drive a company up on their search result.

For example, if a company rips off a FB user and the user posts a message about it should that really count as a "like" for the company your complaining about?

It goes even further then that and would in fact create an issue similar to the one Google had awhile back where a ton of negative reviews would actually drive a company up on their search result.

For example, if a company rips off a FB user and the user posts a message about it should that really count as a "like" for the company your complaining about?

Makes sense:
-1 x -1 = +1

I wonder how this could play out for people who get fired for "Like"ing something.
Could it work in favor towards the employee who did "like" something but and just blame FB?

I'm really don't know who all can see what of people's pages, I just use mine for contests, games and freebies.

Wow ... pretty soon we won't need to surf at all ... we can just have our computer doppleganger do it for us and then we can just download all our conversations and likes while we sleep ... along with our government instructions for the next day ... buy more stuff ... work for free ... you like Denny's ... you chatted with that weird basement guy who is pretending to be a hot model ... etc :D

i have an easy solution to this issue

Don't use facebook

hey, that was easy...

i have an easy solution to this issue

Don't use facebook

hey, that was easy...

WHAT ... but facebook connects people ... like a chair, or a bridge, or an airplane ... at least that's what their add on YouTube said ... actually the analogy might not be that far off as both items are full of a lot of fat asses :p:D

What's worse if you have issues where you can't 'unlike' something automatically 'liked'. (and I have seen issues with unliking stuff before)

I think a lot of the advertisers want to get more likes to substantiate their investment into advertising so Facebook makes people auto-like it so it just appears that the advertising is working. Advertisers think it's worth it and puts more money into advertising.

FB is doing whatever it can to make money even this. Anyone surprised?

i see this as no different than people who like their own post, its pointless either way

Back