Company Seizes 3-D Printer From Desktop Gunsmith

HardOCP News

[H] News
I want to say that I am surprised that this happened but, honestly, I think we all saw this coming. :( Thanks to Philip Dias for the heads up.

“They came for it straight up,” Cody Wilson, director of Defense Distributed, the online collective that oversees the Wiki project, tells Danger Room. “I didn’t even have it out of the box.” Wilson, who is a second-year law student at the University of Texas at Austin, had leased the printer earlier in September after his group raised $20,000 online. As well as using the funds to build a pistol, the Wiki Weapon project aimed to eventually provide a platform for anyone to share 3-D weapons schematics online. Eventually, the group hoped, anyone could download the open source blueprints and build weapons at home.

I would too when those people released a vid that casually talks about over throwing all governments and self policing because guns will be so easy to get t-t

I would too when those people released a vid that casually talks about over throwing all governments and self policing because guns will be so easy to get t-t

Smart or not to post that, I feel it NEEDS to happen...we're going no where but down the toilet!

Sounds like a crazy project... 3D Printed objects are simply not suited well to this kind of endeavor. Maybe do some sort of magnetic propulsion that wouldn't generate crazy pressures and high heat?

Smart or not to post that, I feel it NEEDS to happen...we're going no where but down the toilet!

That really seems to be nothing but a violent dream for some people. Unity through enforced violence is rarely ever a good answer to any problem.

I am not much of a gun person outside of gaming, but honestly even I see the "neat" factor of this project. It's a shame it has been halted.

Anyone who thinks that they will get the kind of government they want by overthrowing the government needs to get their head examined. It won't happen, Utopia doesn't exist and it never will. While the grass always looks greener on the other side, getting to that other side via overthrowing the government will be very costly to everyone. All you will end up doing is replacing one set of crooks with another. Power corrupts...

Remember, the people who are 'destroying' the government were elected by the people. If you don't like what the government is doing then vote for someone else. If that doesn't work then the 'answer' to getting your way isn't violence if your 'side' doesn't have the power (through representation) to get what they want. There are fifty states and two powerful political parties out there who are jostling for what they can get from the federal government via control of it.

Don't take it personally if you don't get what you want, you're only one person in a nation of millions.

Anyone who thinks that they will get the kind of government they want by overthrowing the government needs to get their head examined. It won't happen, Utopia doesn't exist and it never will. While the grass always looks greener on the other side, getting to that other side via overthrowing the government will be very costly to everyone. All you will end up doing is replacing one set of crooks with another. Power corrupts...

Remember, the people who are 'destroying' the government were elected by the people. If you don't like what the government is doing then vote for someone else. If that doesn't work then the 'answer' to getting your way isn't violence if your 'side' doesn't have the power (through representation) to get what they want. There are fifty states and two powerful political parties out there who are jostling for what they can get from the federal government via control of it.

Don't take it personally if you don't get what you want, you're only one person in a nation of millions.

worked for a few 100 years starting in 1776 any way .... just saying

More like "a few years", if that. Even a cursory glance at the history of our nation shows that we (the citizens) have been fighting over our government since its conception. People who don't like the way the government operates have been howling about it before it formed. Citizens have fought against each other and have died over it. You might think that the country is going to shit but that's an opinion that many Americans have carried since the birth of our nation. We're a nation whose population struggles to control government and run it as they see fit. Too many people in this country think that they know how things should be to 'fix it' but are unwilling to admit that they would still be pissed even if they put the people they want in control of the government.

There is no perfect government, humans are imperfect and corruption is a fact of life. All you do when you depose a government is replace one set of bastards with another. You might get some of what you want but you sure as hell aren't going to get everything you want.

More like "a few years", if that. Even a cursory glance at the history of our nation shows that we (the citizens) have been fighting over our government since its conception. People who don't like the way the government operates have been howling about it before it formed. Citizens have fought against each other and have died over it. You might think that the country is going to shit but that's an opinion that many Americans have carried since the birth of our nation. We're a nation whose population struggles to control government and run it as they see fit. Too many people in this country think that they know how things should be to 'fix it' but are unwilling to admit that they would still be pissed even if they put the people they want in control of the government.

There is no perfect government, humans are imperfect and corruption is a fact of life. All you do when you depose a government is replace one set of bastards with another. You might get some of what you want but you sure as hell aren't going to get everything you want.

QFT. And even if you, you won't have it for very long.

They'll let you buy guns at the same store you buy your kids' Christmas presents, but they freak out over a machinist/CAD person managing to raise enough money to build a CNC machine. Comes to show how the government is all about control.

They don't mind you buying guns because they let you, and if they wanted to they could simply stop. But as soon as someone manages to make their own, it's the end of the world.

I'm not really a gun advocate myself, but I do find there is a double standard here.

They'll let you buy guns at the same store you buy your kids' Christmas presents, but they freak out over a machinist/CAD person managing to raise enough money to build a CNC machine. Comes to show how the government is all about control.

They don't mind you buying guns because they let you, and if they wanted to they could simply stop. But as soon as someone manages to make their own, it's the end of the world.

I'm not really a gun advocate myself, but I do find there is a double standard here.

If you know anything about firearms and guns, it should be plenty obvious how many gun laws one could break if they could CNC their own parts. And further why it is less of a double standard why the project needed unplugged.

If you know anything about firearms and guns, it should be plenty obvious how many gun laws one could break if they could CNC their own parts. And further why it is less of a double standard why the project needed unplugged.
some of it depends on state, but the most universal problem probably is tractability for the gun.

some of it depends on state, but the most universal problem probably is tractability for the gun.

Followed shortly thereafter by the ability to retrofit some semiauto guns to being full auto with little effort. My brother has a semi auto civie m16 that falls into that category.

I continue to not get the frenzy over this. GUNS ARE NOT HARD TO GET. FFS you can get a gun in any city in an hour. In some places its easier to get a gun than it is to get fruit.

Right, because the Canadians continued to suffer under the iron fist of the British Empire for hundreds of years. Then there are the Aussies...oh, those poor bastards. Thank god we didn't let that happen to us.

Followed shortly thereafter by the ability to retrofit some semiauto guns to being full auto with little effort. My brother has a semi auto civie m16 that falls into that category.

Theres not a single piece of a "civie M16", or any other variation of the AR platform, that can be converted to full auto fire with just 3D Printed components. The Lower Assembly to include the Fire Control Group, as well as the Bolt Carrier Group in the Upper Receiver both need modifications, and these are all parts that are made out of metals...no plastic parts...

The manufacturing of a gun, rifle or pistol, for personal use, is not prohibited by the ATF. You can manufacture as many as you like for yourself, but you are not allowed to give away, or sell to any other person...to do so would constitute an "enterprise" of sorts, which is controlled by the ATF.

"From ATF`s Website"
"For your information, per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution."

Reminds me of the gun from eXistenz made out of fish. I understand why they wouldn't wanna be associated with that.

Theres not a single piece of a "civie M16", or any other variation of the AR platform, that can be converted to full auto fire with just 3D Printed components. The Lower Assembly to include the Fire Control Group, as well as the Bolt Carrier Group in the Upper Receiver both need modifications, and these are all parts that are made out of metals...no plastic parts...

The manufacturing of a gun, rifle or pistol, for personal use, is not prohibited by the ATF. You can manufacture as many as you like for yourself, but you are not allowed to give away, or sell to any other person...to do so would constitute an "enterprise" of sorts, which is controlled by the ATF.

"From ATF`s Website"
"For your information, per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution."

Do some research. AR15 Drop in auto sear.

First off, interesting but silly project. I'm sure as 3D printers continue to advance and drop in price people will be making all sorts of things though, and some of them will be much more dangerous than this nonsense. Some people will get worked up about this stuff because they have unhealthy obsessions with firearms (positive and negative) but I very much doubt anything from a 3D printer is going to give more killing per dollar or per hour of work involved than can already be accomplished with the various ways to create and use explosives that mankind has already come up with.

As the saying goes, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Limits on the power of governmental officials and branches can limit the corruption but it's all relative. So I'm going to make a list here.

Adolf Hitler, Barrack Obama, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Mitt Romney

It might all seem the same to the average person that's grown up in the modern west but exactly which bastards you let run the place absolutely does matter. Depending on your political views a couple of those names might seem about the same to you, but regardless of your politics any sane person will see three of the people on that list would be much worse to have in charge of your government than the others. If anyone still think's it's all the same just spend an hour googling info on the names in red.

Right, because the Canadians continued to suffer under the iron fist of the British Empire for hundreds of years. Then there are the Aussies...oh, those poor bastards. Thank god we didn't let that happen to us.

I find the logical fallacies in that statement to be disturbing. With a little effort one could make a case for the general idea that the American Revolution wasn't worth the trouble, you would be wrong but the a but a reasonable argument could be made. :p But the statement above presumes that the American Revolution didn't have any significant effect on how England dealt with it's other colonies when obviously it did effect that and a great deal more. You could write entire books debating both the positive and negative effects on any number of groups, but to put forth that it would all be the same is just silly.

Make guns? Am I the only one that has the theme for "Weird Science" stuck in his head?

Stratasys.

Stratasys.

Stratasys.

Don't do business with Stratasys. Make sure your employer or company does not conduct business with Stratasys.

Also, their 3d printer is absolute garbage. $20k to lease that?
They could have leased a water/laser 3d prototyping machine and had the product made in metal!

That wasn't the point, the point was to see if the printer with given resin produce a working firearm. Guess they won't be using Stratasys product(s) anymore.

He just need to get a FFL and then find another 3-D printer rental company. Should be easy enough...

Yeah, things were so peachy back then. Dysentery, being burned at the stake, blasphemy executions, riding animals to work, eating squirrels. Gosh those were the days, why cant we just return to when Merica was good!

Do some research. AR15 Drop in auto sear.

Yes, but part of the entire issue here is legality.

Unless you have an expensive and time consuming type 7 or 10, Class 2 license, the act of printing that auto-sear will get 10 year prison term.

Don't forget to register with the DOJ as potential exporter of weapons, that's an extra $2500 a year or so.

It IS legal to make a firearm for personal use, thousands of people have done it, making an Auto sear is not.

I'm sorry, are you not satisfied with your current options to kill people? Is there not enough selection in your ability to buy unique firearms for every occasion? Gee golly this totalitarian goverment is so extreme! I simply cant take all this gun control anymore! The gov't isnt trying to stop people from having weapons of less destruction, they just want to have some idea of where they are going and how many are out there, i.e. serial numbers.

Yeah, things were so peachy back then. Dysentery, being burned at the stake, blasphemy executions, riding animals to work, eating squirrels. Gosh those were the days, why cant we just return to when Merica was good!

hey now, don't be bad mouthing squirrel. it's not bad. fry it like chicken!

One has but to at his neighbourgs to see why "power to the people" is a terrible idea. If there is one thing that holds true in this mess, it is that no one wants the same thing. Democracy was a good idea that did it's time but just does not work anymore in it's current implementation.

On the topic at hand: "There is worse/other alternatives" has never, is never, and will never be a good argument to add crap on top of crap. Since a few mean countries have nukes, every country should have nukes and bioweapons in self defence.

One has but to at his neighbourgs to see why "power to the people" is a terrible idea. If there is one thing that holds true in this mess, it is that no one wants the same thing. Democracy was a good idea that did it's time but just does not work anymore in it's current implementation.[/I]

Good thing the US is not a Democracy, ie mob rule, and is a Constitutional Republic.

Back