Counterfeit Electronic Parts Multiplying At Record Rate

HardOCP News

[H] News
One counterfeit part discovered every 15 seconds? Yikes! Two people just got screwed over in the time it took you to read this. :eek:

The number of reported counterfeit electronic component parts continues to rise at alarming rate as it remains on track with the record set in 2011, according to market intelligence firm IHS iSuppli. In February, IHS reported that there were a reported 1,363 separate counterfeit-part incidents worldwide, up from 324 in 2009.

not surprising... counterfeit transistors are a huge pain in the arse

Counterfeit how? Using the same name as another company? Making just straight fake parts?

Article lacks detail.

I fail to recognize this as a bad thing. IP suckers

I don't take too seriously companies who uses a lowercase "i" in their name. iSuppli....c'mon....really?!

Counterfeit how? Using the same name as another company? Making just straight fake parts?

Article lacks detail.

There's a number of ways I guess. Counterfeit devices are common, and so are parts. They're a fraction of the price, but nowadays rather then hiding it, they're open about it. So long as it doesn't fall apart right away, I have no problem with counterfeit stuff.

Anyone who has ever had the experience(s) of a blown capacitor(s) should feel this pain. AKA counterfeit formula.

Counterfeits are a big problem for manufacturers ... especially where you have to meet environmental requirements like RoHS and REACH ... quality creates lots of problems too :(

Counterfeit parts are multiplying like the Chinese. Think there's a connection?

I can't decide how I feel about this. On one hand, counterfeit parts allow us to get things much cheaper than we could originally, sometimes at the same quality. On the other hand, there is no regulation, and they can sell any amount of garbage they want. Sometimes, in the case of certain products, knock offs can be dangerous (such as power supplies).

I can't decide how I feel about this. On one hand, counterfeit parts allow us to get things much cheaper than we could originally, sometimes at the same quality. On the other hand, there is no regulation, and they can sell any amount of garbage they want. Sometimes, in the case of certain products, knock offs can be dangerous (such as power supplies).

no I assure you its not like a handbag, counterfeits are very, very bad when it comes to electronics

no I assure you its not like a handbag, counterfeits are very, very bad when it comes to electronics

Well it depends what it is. If I order a crappy keyboard or something not particularly volatile, that's one thing. But I certainly would not buy a knock off smartphone or anything else I expect some level of quality out of.

Yikes! Two people just got screwed over in the time it took you to read this. :eek:

Thats completely unfair Steve. Only one person got screwed in the time it took me to read it.

The second person got screwed in the time it took me to type this.

Well it depends what it is. If I order a crappy keyboard or something not particularly volatile, that's one thing. But I certainly would not buy a knock off smartphone or anything else I expect some level of quality out of.

Yup. Problem is things like counterfeit transistors or capacitors are hard if not impossible to spot by the consumer. Knock-off Oakleys are an entirely different animal.

There's a number of ways I guess. Counterfeit devices are common, and so are parts. They're a fraction of the price, but nowadays rather then hiding it, they're open about it. So long as it doesn't fall apart right away, I have no problem with counterfeit stuff.

:rolleyes:

Unless it was your company getting knocked off then I'll bet you would have a different opinion on the matter.

sAwjn.jpg

Only thing I can think of the chinese haven't done, I wanna see some knock-off prostitutes! If there is a will they will find the way!

Only thing I can think of the chinese haven't done, I wanna see some knock-off prostitutes! If there is a will they will find the way!

Judging from some of the Japanese robot tech I think that item will come from them :D

So in the case of the misrepresented capacitor, not only could you have a bad capacitor, but with that fake housing it's in you wouldn't even know which one was bad (unless it REALLY blew). Nice.

The same bad cap that goes into that benign keyboard can also end up in the flight computer of the 747 you are taking to Hawaii.

There is historical proof that knock-off's, especially at the component level, is disastrous.

The same bad cap that goes into that benign keyboard can also end up in the flight computer of the 747 you are taking to Hawaii.

There is historical proof that knock-off's, especially at the component level, is disastrous.

Yep. In aerospace, we pay a small fortune for part integrity on older parts. The newer parts are easier to deal with. However, as the part gets older and costs go up (e.g. TI doesn't like making 10 year old designs)...the desire to counterfeit goes up as well. My favorite is when you get parts and there isn't even a die inside. :p

Back