Iran's News Agency Portrays Satirical Onion Story as Its Own

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
I guess this explains a lot about Iran. Fars, a semi-official news agency in Iran, picked up a story published by the satirical website, The Onion, and ran it as its own publication. The story was published verbatim as it was written on The Onion, headline and all. The news agency has since apologized for the mistake to its readers. Do they have Gulags in Iran? :D

A Fars news editor said Friday that the outlet took the item off its English-language website once editors realized that The Onion wasn't a legitimate news organization.

Not the first time either. Bangladesh and China have both done something similar.

The Onion, America's most credible news source.

The problem is the poor citizens of these Arab countries believe everything the state tells them as the 'gospel' truth. They have lost the ability of critical thought that comes from freedom of speech.

The Onion, America's most credible news source.

I am not joking. I have read the Onion since the early 90's and it just scares me how it is more accurate than the 'real' news!:eek:

The problem is the poor citizens of these Arab countries believe everything the state tells them as the 'gospel' truth. They have lost the ability of critical thought that comes from freedom of speech.

Another problem is that many people in those countries are used to system where only "officially approved" news, movies etc. are released for general public and they dont understand that its totally different in democratic countries.

Back