Dish Launches New High-Speed Internet Service

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Beginning on October 1st, Dish Network will officially begin operation of its satellite broadband Internet service, bringing an alternative to areas that have no access to high speed internet. The service will offer 5 Mbps up/1Mbps down for $40 a month.

Bloomberg is reporting that Dish is in talks with a handful of TV networks to provide a new TV subscription service available over the Internet. The report indicates that the bundle of channels would be much smaller than a traditional TV subscription, and cost much less.

Last edited:
The service will offer 10 Mbps up/1Mbps down for $40 a month.

Latency will still be an issue... No?

The article linked to says:
The dishNet service, which will be available Oct. 1, will offer connection speeds of 5 Mbps downstream/1 Mbps upstream and a 10GB data cap per month.

Methinks some editing needs be done.

There's another package with 10mbps down/1mbps up and 20GB cap.

But, yes, it should read 10down/1up, not 10up/1down

Yeah, these are essentially cellphone-like data services.

I saw this EXEDE service advertised around middle-TN so I got curious and visited the website, they have similar plans and it's pricey. Click the link to see prices on their front page, 25GB/mo for $129! Up to 12Mbps!

Most people driving by those billboards have access to U-verse, Comcast, DSL, and a small local ISP so maybe they're targeting people that don't know how to shop or are just getting out to the city from a hundred miles away.

This isn't going to catch on for one very simple reason that anyone with a double digit IQ can fathom:

The dishNet service, which will be available Oct. 1, will offer connection speeds of 5 Mbps downstream/1 Mbps upstream and a 10GB data cap per month.

Seriously, fuck you. That's a DAYS worth of streaming for most people. Try streaming netflix, playing games, watching lots of youtube, downloading games, and that's just for my ass, not to mention the rest of my family. I ended up using 500 gigs last month, majority from streaming netflix/amazon. Sorry, 10 gig cap is for retards who might as well be on dialup. 10 gigs aint shit. That alone means that its dead in the water. The only people who would use it are older people who only check their email or do the occasional google search. Everyone else on the planet is laughing at it.

I guarantee you it it will still have a 500ms lag time. :mad:
I might be interested but real time communications via IP is a must for what I do.

I guarantee you it it will still have a 500ms lag time. :mad:
I might be interested but real time communications via IP is a must for what I do.
You're looking at closer to 1000-1500ms for RTT latencies, which earns you a free boot off of most gaming servers.

500ms would be great :p

I think it's a good deal, for what it is. Data caps are a reasonable, IMO, since we're talking space here and deploying anything in space costs a ton of money... Not to mention the technology is at least 10 years behind compared to what we have here on earth (space grade?).

I'd hope to never have to use such service but it's definitely better than using dialup out in the country.

This data cap shit is going to come crashing down. I don't know when, but I guarantee it will. We're moving into the age of cloud computing and streaming everything. The internet and cell phone companies are making a money grab now, but there's no way it will last. Eventually some lawmakers are gonna be like "Hey, I want to stream everything and these guys are fucking me. Let's outlaw data caps". Bam.

Data caps is another reason why we're so slow in getting better. Instead of improving themselves, companies decided to limit their customers.

The only way this plan would take off is if it became a monopoly somewhere, because anyone with other choices is going to drop this like the smelly dead fish it is.

The only way this plan would take off is if it became a monopoly somewhere, because anyone with other choices is going to drop this like the smelly dead fish it is.

Well it's marketed to people who don't have telephone or cable lines run to their house. Rural areas. And that's a LOT of people.

Well it's marketed to people who don't have telephone or cable lines run to their house. Rural areas. And that's a LOT of people.

Im rural and am forced to use a local point to point ISP that is 2mb down and 512kb up for 65$ a month. One would think this would be better, but it's far from it.

Pros:
faster

Cons:
Data cap
latency

The 2 cons far outweigh then Pro for me. I can max out and download or stream nonstop 24/7 12 months a year with my current ISP and that is important. I think this is aimed more towards dumb people and those that dont use the internet for anything outside of browsing the web and viewing email. If you were to compare it to dialup, for the price, it might be worth it...

Everything Dish does sucks anyway, why would this be different?

Not something most people on this forum would want but I think it's great for the users who are very remote and can't get any other service besides dial up. Not all users are streaming, downloading 50GB a month or playing games online. Seems like a good option for a lot of people who have little to no option for internet access.

Oh goodie! the worst internet service on the planet is back..I'll pass on the 1500ms+ latency that eliminates all benefits to broadband. Literally dual 56k modems are faster then that garbage was.

This isn't going to catch on for one very simple reason that anyone with a double digit IQ can fathom:

Seriously, fuck you. That's a DAYS worth of streaming for most people. Try streaming netflix, playing games, watching lots of youtube, downloading games, and that's just for my ass, not to mention the rest of my family. I ended up using 500 gigs last month, majority from streaming netflix/amazon. Sorry, 10 gig cap is for retards who might as well be on dialup. 10 gigs aint shit. That alone means that its dead in the water. The only people who would use it are older people who only check their email or do the occasional google search. Everyone else on the planet is laughing at it.

On one problem with 10gb and 56k dialup maybe if really luck in about 30day but I think it more like 40days
It mainly for poeple who live really way out there that can't get any think eles

Yeah, these are essentially cellphone-like data services.

I saw this EXEDE service advertised around middle-TN so I got curious and visited the website, they have similar plans and it's pricey. Click the link to see prices on their front page, 25GB/mo for $129! Up to 12Mbps!

Most people driving by those billboards have access to U-verse, Comcast, DSL, and a small local ISP so maybe they're targeting people that don't know how to shop or are just getting out to the city from a hundred miles away.
It not bad speed but it still major rip off and as you know it shared resource so more people that get on the network the slower it becomes and you will not be able play any game with it.

What's fucked up is that I just spent the last 3 months running fiber all over rural Missouri. Fiber is all over the place. And people don't even know it. I think the cable/phone companies are just going to drag their feet and charges as much as they can for the smallest amount of bandwidth they can get away with. More money that way. If everyone had 1Gbps fiber, they couldn't fuck people as much and would lose money.

For all the people complaining about the 10GB data cap, that's a shit ton more than their main competition HughesNet

This probably isn't that bad for someone who had no other alternative ... no one in an urban environment would be interested in this ... one of the city authorized providers would likely be much better ... but for people who live in a rural environment (Montana, Idaho, New Mexico, etc) this could be a viable alternative ... at least until the telcos put 4G infrastructure in place fully

What's fucked up is that I just spent the last 3 months running fiber all over rural Missouri. Fiber is all over the place. And people don't even know it. I think the cable/phone companies are just going to drag their feet and charges as much as they can for the smallest amount of bandwidth they can get away with. More money that way. If everyone had 1Gbps fiber, they couldn't fuck people as much and would lose money.

Maybe it has something to do with Google's investment in KC?

Sorry, 10 gig cap is for retards who might as well be on dialup. 10 gigs aint shit.

That's unfair to dial-up. You'd get much lower latencies with a dial-up connect :p

A 56K connection could theoretically offer a larger data cap too, about 17-18GB if you used it non-stop

My provincial goverment has been helping fund a rural wireless internet company here in alberta. Not the fastest but its unlimited caps and $70, compared to other options for rural customers ($100/month for 10gb caps wiht a 7mb down connection ect..) its a godsend. And the latency isnt that bad, works for gaming. Wish more local goverment would do something like this instead of letting companies bend over people who dont have access to proper internet.

That's unfair to dial-up. You'd get much lower latencies with a dial-up connect :p

A 56K connection could theoretically offer a larger data cap too, about 17-18GB if you used it non-stop

No, this is done by power companies. Power companies and Electric cooperatives are running fiber between their substations and main offices for communications and switching. They use 1/20th of the fiber that is run most of the time, and sell the rest to the telcos/cable companies.

Fiber is EVERYWHERE.

Once you get used to city options like 8-9 mb cable speeds, moving back to a rural area sucks. We were hitting 2.5 mb down in the city with cable, but moved to the country. Our only option was the telephone company with a "2 mb" dsl line. Tried it and kept getting disconnected from gaming servers every 5-10 minutes and incredibly high latency. It was worse than the satellite service I had while I was in Iraq. We switched after about a month and a half to some wireless service the power company was offering. I just ran a speed check on dslreports and came out with 439kb/s down and 2.1 mb/s up. Seems weird but I think my in-laws are watching something on the netflix. In any case, it's a shit ton better than the Century Link dsl line we had and cheaper to boot. Much love for my power company out here.

This will be nice for remote locations without traditional broadband.

Exactly, and perhaps the whole "lets spend billions to bring fiber to the woods" type of bullshit our government wants will fucking end. As it stands all the taxes and fees on my phone bill are almost as long as forearm many of which help to "even out" my urban living advantages with the rural living people.

10GB a month? Hope they don't use Steam. 1 game a month and they will exceed their cap in an evening ;-)

The service will offer 10 Mbps up/1Mbps down for $40 a month.

Latency will still be an issue... No?
1500ms latency on average, 1000ms minimum (I think the absolute minimum even possible is around 750ms).

Your rolling 30-day quota is what is really going to kill the deal, and latency only makes it worse. It would be good for a backup internet connection (no videos, minimal downloading, webpage-browsing only).

True, true, but find me a dial-up provider that doesn't have something like this in their TOS/AUP:

http://psc.peoplepc.com/articles/ppc/peoplepc-technical-support-faqs.php
Unlimited Internet service means that you have the option to connect to our service at any time. It does not mean that you will be able to stay connected for an unlimited period.

All dialup providers will have the above clause defining "unlimited" with almost word-for-word that definition. Furthermore, they will have additional clauses such as:

http://www.copper.net/TOS/DialupTOS.aspx
Idle Timeout

User agrees to have their online session automatically terminated after fifteen (15) minutes of consecutive inactivity. Inactivity is defined as less than 500 bytes of data transferred between User's modem and the Copper.net Service.
Maximum Single Session

User agrees to have an online session automatically terminated after four (4) hours of consecutive time, regardless of data transferred during such specific online session.
Minimum Re-Connect Limit

User understands they cannot log back onto the Copper.net system for a period of one (1) minute following the termination of their previous online session, regardless of the reason for the previous session's termination.
Multiple, Concurrent Online Sessions

User agrees to maintain no more than one (1) concurrent online session for each Dial-Up account purchased.
Excessive Usage

All service plans are prohibited from being used to provide subscriber with dedicated or constant connectivity. Copper.net reserves the right to immediately terminate or modify the Services of any User if Copper.net determines, in its sole discretion, that the User is using the Service in an excessive manner.

I know so because I lived in the rural areas where only dialup and satellite were available (not even cell was available due to major doughnut hole caused by antennas and forests). I lived on dialup for several years before getting satellite, and during that time out of desperation on several occasions spent days' worth of research on dialup looking for an improved/faster/better ISP. All dialup ISPs only offer limited dialup access with connectivity any time during the day. There is no such thing as unlimited dialup, and they will all ultimately charge you $12-16 per month.

well it's out of option for me, this is not good news for me, in my home we loose connection with slightest bad weather/with black clouds.

well it's out of option for me, this is not good news for me, in my home we loose connection with slightest bad weather/with black clouds.
ha yeah, my family sometimes lose connection even when the skies are clear (and after diagnostics, it isn't the modem or our network equipment). :D

For all the people complaining about the 10GB data cap, that's a shit ton more than their main competition HughesNet
Not all that much let see Download Allowance Exede 333 vs HughesNet 250mb and it $10 chearp.

Even dial-up is still in up high latency/ping times around average 250+ms
Good luck analog 56K never ever even connection at that theoretically speed the most you can hope for 28 to 45 and there no way hell even non-stop you get about 17-18GB now if this was ISDN 64Kbps then you would.

Back