Tim Cook Apologizes for Maps Mess

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't want to turn this into a "Cook vs Jobs" thing so I'll just repeat what I always say Apple's new CEO... I sure like the way this guy does things.

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

I don't want to turn this into a "Cook vs Jobs" thing so I'll just repeat what I always say Apple's new CEO... I sure like the way this guy does things.

He waited far too long and is a huge hypocrite. He said earlier this year about how he would rather compete in the market and not in the court room yet still filed more suits against samsung/htc/motorola against products like the galaxy nexus, note, galaxy s3 which clearly aren't copying the iphone. Even worse is filing injunctions against the one x and evo lte. Something just doesn't sit right with me about the guy.

Thats actually a great way to approach it. I doubt they will ever be able to duplicate the data google has but I am sure they can make it better.

I know, I know.......

just don't buy one.......problem solved.

If they were doing everything they could, they would pay google their money and default back to a Map system that is actually good. Otherwise they are doing everything they can not to do what is best for the customer.

Thats actually a great way to approach it.
It is not a good way to approach it and you are wrong.

The right way to approach it would have been to not release a broken product in the first place and then expect people to wait while they clean up the mess.

I sort of liked the idea of North America being labled Australia. It made me feel like I was living someplace better.

i cant believe it.. it is actually a different Apple now.

The old Apple response would have been.

"you need to think different"

ask your self do you really need those features?

all that data just makes things more complicated.

keep it simple keep it light one touch is all you need.

One thing I like about Apple is that they named their mapping software by a name that actually makes sense. I hate it when I'm looking at my Android phone and I know the app I'm looking for but because it's called "Play Store" (or whatever), the name doens't match what the app does, I can't frickin' find it. So, at least Apple is off to a good start... Now, if only they'd finish the product before they release it.

Nothing wrong with Apple's product. There is just better stuff out there. That is all!

They need to take a lot more legal cases against the others in order to slow them down.

Thats actually a great way to approach it. I doubt they will ever be able to duplicate the data google has but I am sure they can make it better.

Yes, a great way to approach anything is to release a shitty product and then apologize for it.

:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with Apple's product. There is just better stuff out there. That is all!

I hate to burst your bubble, but the list of things wrong with Apple's Maps is pretty extensive. I agree that quite a bit of the hate Apple gets is absolutely unwarranted, however this product was broken on numerous levels and all the hate it got was warranted.

Yes, a great way to approach anything is to release a shitty product and then apologize for it.

:rolleyes:

Considering most CEOs have egos the size of the national debt and never apologize for anything it is refreshing to see a CEO man-up and apologize when his company makes a mistake ... not making the mistake in the first place would be even better but very few companies have that ability :)

Yes - but does Tim Cook have a book about him saying he is a god of not making innovation but accusations of him making new innovations?

The answer is no. No he does not. :D

Apple usually has a habit of releasing a pretty polished device, even being an Android fan I'll admit that. But don't you think, even with the Google fiasco, they could have waited just a bit longer to polish everything before cutting the tie?

The unstoppable force looks to be wavering.

The right way to approach it would have been to not release a broken product in the first place and then expect people to wait while they clean up the mess.

Correct. Investing in time machine R&D would have been the best approach.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the list of things wrong with Apple's Maps is pretty extensive. I agree that quite a bit of the hate Apple gets is absolutely unwarranted, however this product was broken on numerous levels and all the hate it got was warranted.

I think that the hate towards Apple's philosophy is warranted.
List the top 3 things wrong with Apple's Maps.
I say that you can find things wrong with all software.

One thing I like about Apple is that they named their mapping software by a name that actually makes sense. I hate it when I'm looking at my Android phone and I know the app I'm looking for but because it's called "Play Store" (or whatever), the name doens't match what the app does, I can't frickin' find it. So, at least Apple is off to a good start... Now, if only they'd finish the product before they release it.

all of the apps on my android phone(especially the google branded ones) do pretty much what their name implies... i.e. google maps...has maps...google play music plays music...and the like... not sure really where you get the logic behind this? are you referring to the aftermarket app programmers? if so that has zero to do with apple or google and subsequently either OS

No more wrong than you. It is a good way to approach the situation from a PR stand point with a lacking product. Like I said I doubt they will ever get a data store equivalent of Google but it could at least get useable.

well shit... will cats and dogs be living together next?
14ctj78.jpg

You like the idea of your continent being labeled a different country?

Yeah, why not? It's not like I actually need a program to tell me where to go. I can just wander around until I find what I'm looking for. If I get lost forever, then my life would turn into a song where I'd just be driving around singing, "And I still haven't found what I'm looking for!" or something. I'm not seeing the downside to any of this. :)

skribbletoria?

Oooh, I like it, but can we call it Skribbeltopia since it'd be a superficially perfect police state? (We can downplay the riots and civil unrest by operating a national news channel that constantly plays videos of kittens.)

well, atleast he admits that it's their fault and not like jobs where jobs didn't said anything till it was fixed and after fix said it's not our fault, it's technology/other stuff that's not working.

Yeah, why not? It's not like I actually need a program to tell me where to go. I can just wander around until I find what I'm looking for. If I get lost forever, then my life would turn into a song where I'd just be driving around singing, "And I still haven't found what I'm looking for!" or something. I'm not seeing the downside to any of this. :)

Oooh, I like it, but can we call it Skribbeltopia since it'd be a superficially perfect police state? (We can downplay the riots and civil unrest by operating a national news channel that constantly plays videos of kittens.)

Changing the name isn’t going to solve the problem.:p

that can be arranged

I don't get this. Was there really any need for Apple to launch it's own mapping solution at this time? Couldn't they have waited until next year until they got this working well? I got a bit of chuckle seeing Bing Maps suggested by Cook as an alternative. Certainly not Jobsian at all.

If there was a way to harness the energy of Steve Jobs currently spinning in his grave we would be able to power this country for a decade.

was it really that bad? I heard even the London subway/tube system was bagging on it lol

I don't get this. Was there really any need for Apple to launch it's own mapping solution at this time? Couldn't they have waited until next year until they got this working well? I got a bit of chuckle seeing Bing Maps suggested by Cook as an alternative. Certainly not Jobsian at all.

short answer, no

short answer, no

Whats the long answer? would love to hear the reasoning behind this disastrous decision :confused:

I don't follow Apple, but it sounds to me like Cook knows they are behind in Smart phone hardware tech and needed another Siri like diversion to brag about.

I don't follow Apple, but it sounds to me like Cook knows they are behind in Smart phone hardware tech and needed another Siri like diversion to brag about.

that would be samsung, since they actually make the apple phones (see goophone)

Maybe they can fast-track the likely already developed and far superior Google Maps third party app, allow Lattitude to go along with it, and swallow their pride. That would be "doing everything they can". They can keep their own crappy product on there, just don't block Google's superior product.

Whats the long answer? would love to hear the reasoning behind this disastrous decision :confused:

Mostly factual: Apple wanted turn-by-turn spoken directions; Google would do it, but only with more Google integration, which Apple didn't want. Apple decided to do their own thing to have the features they wanted without the Google integration they didn't want.

Mostly presumption: Initial development was going well, so they told Google to take a hike. By the time they realized they had data problems, ios 6 and the iphone 5 were almost ready for production. Processing the world to see if things are fixed can take a long time (because there's a lot of data), so development may have slowed, there's also a lot of corner cases/weird data in maps. By this time, it was too late to get Google back onboard (especially if Google decided they didn't want to be on board), but you can't just use the ios5 maps, because a) the old maps can't deal with the extra pixels on the iPhone 5, b) integration with the rest of the os would be broken, c) they already promised features that aren't there, d) maybe google wouldn't let them.

Back